Thread: Snare Suggestion.

User Info Menu

Default Snare Suggestion.

So, after talking with several peeps... I've decided against the piccolo. I know, right?

Apparently, I've been out of the loop so long and well, I guess not educated on snares enough... The sound I am looking for actually comes from a snare that is deeper, but tuned up higher. Who knew?

So, in that case... I am wondering... What snare is best for a beautiful tone, good sustaining but mellow/higher ring and good volume?

I've been looking at snares to go with my Luddy... I even considered building my own. I found a PDP maple snare with wooden hoops - 14 x 5.5... and a few others.

I'd love to get one custom built by Signia, but I am not sure that's in my range right now unfortunately.

Suggestions, anyone?
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Suggestion.

What kind of snare does your favorite celebrity drummer use? That might be the sound that you want.

User Info Menu

Chad Sexton's snare is my favorite. He's the drummer from 311. I used to think he used a pic, but he actually used an OCDP in the early years of the band. He uses Pearl now, but the old sound is what I like.

I am having a hard time finding exactly what snare he used back then. I only know the brand.
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

I have a Noble & Cooley 14" x 7" solid Shell maple snare that really cops that sound well.

It's a bit esoteric, but it works.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

you cant go wrong with a brady

User Info Menu

This may help.

I've watched this vid before, and even though he says that his sound primarily comes from how he plays, I can't help but think that a 30-ply keller shell with multiple 4" holes bored into it doesn't have at least a little to do with his sound.

Here's a vid of his OCDP kit. You can't tell me that his sound has nothing to do with his snare drum and its tension.

IMO, if you are looking for his tone, I'd get a popcorn snare. Nice tight effortless "pop" with more depth and warmth than a piccolo. I used to have a 10" pork pie custom popcorn snare that I really miss.

Outside of that, I'd look at 13" snares. My Pork Pie snare is a 13x5, and it's really diverse. It sounds pretty good no matter what I do to it.
    Last edited by porkpieguy; 08-21-2014 at 08:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Dang, PPG... you are on top of your game this morning. Thanks so much, buddy!

And I agree with you on your opinion about "his playing". While I get we all have our different styles... it's probably where he's hitting the drum, really. I am sure he hits closure to the rim... but the tuning still causes the beautiful ring.

I will definitely look into the 13" snares... perhaps a 13 x 6. I'd hate to use a popcorn as my primary.. it might look kinda funny. hahaha
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

im using a block 13"x5.5"as my live main

no problems here, sounds guys either love or hate it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumminchick View Post

I will definitely look into the 13" snares... perhaps a 13 x 6. I'd hate to use a popcorn as my primary.. it might look kinda funny. hahaha
    No one will see your snare except for your and the bass player.

While I did like my popcorn snare, I don't think that I would use it as a primary. Definitely try out some 13" snares. You might be surprised!

User Info Menu

Still kicking myself for selling a Pork Pie 7" × 13". FANTASTIC snare for the $. Very versatile & gives a good pop.

User Info Menu

This is why I have three snares on my kit. To many good sounds. I have a 13x3 hammered bronze Ludwig that is just bad little mother. Not all piccolos are created equal. I still like my big maple for most things but I like that little Ludwig too and I chose songs or write parts specifically to work that snare into my performances. I also have a10x6 maple Pearl on my kit. You can't have too many snares. FWIW my piccolo sounds just like the snare on Down.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Ive always loved the 14 x 6.5 and the 14 x 5.5s---reso head tuned "tight and high" - then depending on the gig varying between a low to high tuning with the batter head. My Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14 x 6.5 has some really killer "pop" to it and it projects -I love the deep fundamental tone and one of my bud's plays the same snare except his is in a 14 x 5.5 and its just superb.
    Just another option for ya.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Chad is cool and all but his snare sound is one of my least favorites. At least the one he had on the self titled release they put out "311". Too tight and poppy. That one had to of been close to a piccolo or maybe a 13" of some kind.

My arsenal includes 14x6.5 brass, 14x6.5 steel, and 7x14 birch
    Last edited by slinky; 08-24-2014 at 05:42 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

To confuse more; go have a listen to a recent Drummer Talk podcast on snare drums... may help.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

I use mainly my old Vintage 70's steel 14x5 Slingerland " Festival "snare. Great sounding snare lots of snap and pop to it. I also have a 14x5.5 Pearl Sensitone and a 14x6.5 Pearl Masters all Maple snare. The Slingy is the best sound of all.

User Info Menu

You never specified what your budget was.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Since I'm off on DB right now from work... I don't have much of a budget. But eventually, I am hoping to stay under 300.
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

I was perusing ebay just now and I saw a Yamaha Live Custom snare in the 14 x 5.5 configuration for a bit less than your budget limit. There are a number of the Yamaha Oak Custom snares also in your budget range ... and from playing Oak, you're gonna love em. The only drawback is that if you're used to slamming a snare to get a lot of volume out of it, you wont have to - because the Oak snares not only have a beautiful tone, they have more volume than maple or birch or beech or mahogany. And they look "real good"~!
    Just a suggestion ~~~
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Thank you, Warren! While I have all of this time off, I will look into that!!!
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China