Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Share your drumming story!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Share your drumming story!

At 4 months, I was left on the street by my parents. They didn't want a baby after all. Luckily a gypsy family took me in and saved my life. They eventually joined a circus as a clown band. They taught me how to read and write and I had tutors and all. It was a very different life. Your friends were the other circus members, of all ages. One day the snare drummer got very ill and couldn't continue. Since he had been showing me some rhythms anyway, my dad asked me if I wanted to try out for the position. I said no. I just didn't think I could do it and there wasn't a pair of roller skates that fit me ( I was only 10). Well, my dad went out and bought me a pair and strapped that snare around my neck. It took me awhile but they just gave me basic drum parts to start. Trying to rollerskate while holding a drum was almost harder than playing the drum itself. Anyway, I was part of the family circus band for the next 8 years. When I turned 18, I really wanted get away from the circus and have a normal life. I had met a girl (she was the bearded lady) and we fell in love. She was tired of the circus too so we decided to elope. We ended up in Las Vegas. I didn't know what to do so I bought a cheap drumset and started taking some lessons. I started sitting in at some of the lounges and they told me I was pretty good. Well, the rest is history as they say. The smaller gigs ended up into larger ones and eventually I got hooked up with some pretty big names. Considering I almost died on a street corner at 4 months old, I consider myself really lucky.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Olimpass; 09-06-2014 at 07:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    Hi FBN,
    Started with the beaten up Trax/Premier msh mash kit, now I have some old CB's/mapex mish mash!
    I would love either pearl exports, Mapex Meridian, or if I save enough DW custom
    Bridie
    Nice choices!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    At 4 months, I was left on the street by my parents. They didn't want a baby after all. Luckily a gypsy family took me in and saved my life. They eventually joined a circus as a clown band. They taught me how to read and write and I had tutors and all. It was a very different life. Your friends were the other circus members, of all ages. One day the snare drummer got very ill and couldn't continue. Since he had been showing me some rhythms anyway, my dad asked me if I wanted to try out for the position. I said no. I just didn't think I could do it and there wasn't a pair of roller skates that fit me ( I was only 10). Well, my dad went out and bought me a pair and strapped that snare around my neck. It took me awhile but they just gave me basic drum parts to start. Trying to rollerskate while holding a drum was almost harder than playing the drum itself. Anyway, I was part of the family circus band for the next 8 years. When I turned 18, I really wanted get away from the circus and have a normal life. I had met a girl (she was the bearded lady) and we fell in love. She was tired of the circus too so we decided to elope. We ended up in Las Vegas. I didn't know what to do so I bought a cheap drumset and started taking some lessons. I started sitting in at some of the lounges and they told me I was pretty good. Well, the rest is history as they say. The smaller gigs ended up into larger ones and eventually I got hooked up with some pretty big names. Considering I almost died on a street corner at 4 months old, I consider myself really lucky.
    Love your story!

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but did you do anything interesting?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    That's me!

User Info Menu

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but did you do anything interesting?
    I once wrestled a bear.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post

-Mike