Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass drum blanking plate

User Info Menu

Default Bass drum blanking plate

I recently installed a blanking plate on my bass drum to replace the stock tom mount (photos coming soon). Since I mount my rack tom off a cymbal stand, I figured I didn't need it. If I ever have to put the tom mount back in, it's very simple. I also like the blanking plate because I've always liked virgin bass drums. What do you guys think of blanking plates? do you have experience with them?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass drum blanking plate

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    What do you guys think of blanking plates?
    They cover the hole you left by taking out the hardware.
    Otherwise, completely unnecessary.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I like them, and I know that Pearl makes one (I've heard that it's over-priced for what it is). I'd like to find one for about half the price if I could to put on my Session Series kick. Eventually, I'm going to plug the holes using dowel rods, sand them down, and recover my drums using a wrap...hopefully something in a glitter sparkle.

I think that they can look good if done correctly.

User Info Menu

i used a pearl one before, no issues at all, i prefer the virgin bass drum look.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

If your not going to use the bass mounted bracket and Tom arms, then I prefer to remove the mount and install a cover plate.....as opposed to having a mounting bracket on the drum that's never used. It just looks a lot "cleaner" to me. When I installed a vintage rail mount on my Maxwin kit,I had a custom printed brass cover plate made at the local awards/trophy shop. It cost me $20, but Pearl doesn't offer a plate for the old 3/4" Tom arm bracket. It looks good (not great), does the job and is certainly different.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    If your not going to use the bass mounted bracket and Tom arms, then I prefer to remove the mount and install a cover plate.....as opposed to having a mounting bracket on the drum that's never used. It just looks a lot "cleaner" to me. When I installed a vintage rail mount on my Maxwin kit,I had a custom printed brass cover plate made at the local awards/trophy shop. It cost me $20, but Pearl doesn't offer a plate for the old 3/4" Tom arm bracket. It looks good (not great), does the job and is certainly different.
    Great idea to go to an awards shop!

-Mike

User Info Menu

The Pearl blanking plate (BCC-1) was the first thing I installed when I took off the tom mounts on the Pearl kit I once owned. They made for a much cleaner look. The plates are very thin. Almost as though it was a soda can at one time in its life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    The Pearl blanking plate (BCC-1) was the first thing I installed when I took off the tom mounts on the Pearl kit I once owned. They made for a much cleaner look. The plates are very thin. Almost as though it was a soda can at one time in its life.

Very nice! I also like that there's more clearance for the toms.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Meh. I for a long time thought it was something I needed. But it doesn't bother me having the hardware there if I'm not using it. Then in a squeeze for time I'm not disassembling a bass drum to get my toms re mounted to it.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

On two of my sets (drum craft and yamaha stage custom ) when I rack mount them I cap them on bottom (underneath)and top with plastic flat push in end caps. When I use them without the racks I use them to mount small cym. boom keeping it only as deep as the bottom cap using memory lock and keeping the inside of bass drum sealed. I mount my toms to the side of bass drum on cym. stand.

User Info Menu

I've always wondered....

If I pump smoke into my bass drum through the vent hole and leave the rack tom mount tube off, would it blow smoke rings into the air every time I play it??? I might have to try it. Could be a nice effect when we play "Rainy Day Women" or "Roll Me Up & Smoke Me When I Die". Oh Yeah, I gots to try it now.....
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Hmm.. Is there any way to have a bonfire going inside a bass drum but not have it burned to ashes?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I've always wondered....

If I pump smoke into my bass drum through the vent hole and leave the rack tom mount tube off, would it blow smoke rings into the air every time I play it??? I might have to try it. Could be a nice effect when we play "Rainy Day Women" or "Roll Me Up & Smoke Me When I Die". Oh Yeah, I gots to try it now.....
    That would look great!

-Mike

User Info Menu

I do not have anything mounted on my bass drum. Like many, I have the rack tom mounted on a cymbal stand. I do see the value of the blanking plate but I actually like still having the option in case I have a gig that requires a much smaller setup and less space.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Five Magics View Post
    I do not have anything mounted on my bass drum. Like many, I have the rack tom mounted on a cymbal stand. I do see the value of the blanking plate but I actually like still having the option in case I have a gig that requires a much smaller setup and less space.
    I agree with you. I'm currently not playing for anyone so it's a win win for me.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I've always wondered....

For some reason, I'm thinking this may work, but it may work best if the hole in your reso is dead center. You could always try it with a cheap fog machine if you have one lying around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Hmm.. Is there any way to have a bonfire going inside a bass drum but not have it burned to ashes?
    Halloween is coming up...I bet you could put a big jack o lantern in there with a fat candle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I recently installed a blanking plate on my bass drum to replace the stock tom mount (photos coming soon). Since I mount my rack tom off a cymbal stand, I figured I didn't need it. If I ever have to put the tom mount back in, it's very simple. I also like the blanking plate because I've always liked virgin bass drums. What do you guys think of blanking plates? do you have experience with them?
    I had mine custom made.

User Info Menu

Those look pretty nice. Did you have to go to a trophy shop or some type of metalworker?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Those look pretty nice. Did you have to go to a trophy shop or some type of metalworker?
    Yeah I did a Google search for plaque makers and emailed one, he made them up for me. $35.00

User Info Menu

Nice price, altogether?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I had mine custom made.
    Those look great!

-Mike

User Info Menu

I've got one on mine. I like it much better than the tom mount.

User Info Menu

Here's a look at my newly installed plate

-Mike

User Info Menu

looks good is it homemade?
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare