Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for ride junkies

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question for ride junkies

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Found my latest favorite ride - K Custom Dark ride. I like a ride to be a little washy and this certainly delivers. It has an almost glassy quality but retains its dark character from the initial stick through the sustain. Sensitivity is fantastic with a nice soft feel. Not the loudest ride cymbal so it sits in and under the music, not on top of it. Great bell. I'm having fun with it.
    I played one in highschool. Beautiful cymbal.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Found my latest favorite ride - K Custom Dark ride. I like a ride to be a little washy and this certainly delivers. It has an almost glassy quality but retains its dark character from the initial stick through the sustain. Sensitivity is fantastic with a nice soft feel. Not the loudest ride cymbal so it sits in and under the music, not on top of it. Great bell. I'm having fun with it.
    I played one in highschool. Beautiful cymbal.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have a 20 K" and a 21" K hybrid, really love them both but the Hybrid can do more and needs no micing to be heard plus the bell is bigger and it really loves to be crashed.

I am seriously considering a Meinl 20" sand ride though, played one a few weeks back and whoa that thing is sweeeet. I may sell some of my hybrids to help fund a purchase of the whole Benny Greb Meinl sand set. They all sound really good.

Here is an old comparison I did of a 21" sweet ride and my then new 20" K ride. I will do another with the 21" Hybrid soon
    Last edited by MDK; 06-20-2017 at 04:57 AM.
    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

DW Collectors

Premier Elite Black Sparkle

Zildjian K Cymbals

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

MOST ORCHESTRA'S ARE JUST 1800'S COVER BANDS!

User Info Menu

I have and used my 21 A Sweet ride for 40 years and love it. The K ride sounds great and darker and have debated on getting one but I really don't need another one but if I did I would definitely get the K. Nice comparison MDK thanks for sharing.
    Keep on drumming and have fun doing it.

5pc Pearl MCX Chestnut Fade 12x9, 13x10, 16x16, 18x22 14x6.5 matching snare
    Pearl Sensitone 14x5.5 steel alloy snare
    Vintage Slingerland " Festival" steel snare 14x5
    Zildjian A's (avendis) Vintage 70's era
    17 med thin crash, 14 new beat hhts and 21 sweet crash/ride
    Zildjian K 18 med thin crash
    Pearl 1000 series all double braced hadware: 2 cymbal stands , 1 boom stand, hhts stand, snare stand
    Pearl Eliminator single chain drive

User Info Menu

There's so many options it's near impossible to suggest something over text. I'd really suggest going to a store that has a decent selection, it's worth the trip.

Here's some I own and cherish:

23" Istanbul Matt Chamberlain
    22" Meinl Byzance Jazz Club flat ride with 2 rivits
    21" Bosphrorus Masters Vintage
    20" Sabian HH Bounce ride
    20" Zildjian 50's med-light

User Info Menu

I had a K ride and found it to be too heavy for me. I lean toward lighter rides with a stronger wash. The K ride is nice, love the tone and cut but it's heavier and pingier than I thought a K would be.