Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dream Theater

User Info Menu

Default Dream Theater

I know we have some Dream Theater fans on this forum. What do you think of Dream Theater? Personally I prefer Mike Portnoy over Mangini for that style of music. But when it comes to speed, all Mangini. DT is one of my favourite bands. Share any comment, review, anything Dream Theater!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dream Theater

The amount of talent and dedication it takes for them to figure out their music goes well beyond anything that I would probably be able to do.

With that said, I can only listen to them for about 5 minutes or so. There's just WAY too much going on for me to be able to sit there an enjoy it. To me, they sound like someone at a shooting range with an M-16, doing anything from 5 to 20 round bursts...and each round is assigned a different musical note. My ears enjoy groove so much more than prog rock.

Once again, their talent darn-near unmatched. It's honestly some of the most complex music I've ever heard that my mind can only handle so much of it.

Much respect to DT in my book.

User Info Menu

i agree wiith porkpieguy. To me Yngwie Malmsteen is the pioneer of that style and I kinda liked listening to his stuff. DT just exploded the style to an almost unreachable level. It's probably more fun to play it then listen to it. If one can play it.

this is a pretty funny article. Look what Yngwie says about Portnoy
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comme...er_guitarists/
    Last edited by slinky; 08-30-2014 at 09:57 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I love DT, have all their albums and quite a few DVD's. I like both versions Portnoy/Mangini equally, both are excellent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I love DT, have all their albums and quite a few DVD's. I like both versions Portnoy/Mangini equally, both are excellent.
    This.....+ 1.

I have seen them live twice.............remarkable doesn't describe it.
    I also saw Winery Dogs live a few weeks back and it is my belief that Portnoy fits better there.............and I also believe Mangini improves DT.........the drums may not be all that different but it appears the personality is a better fit.
    I feel both drummers are where they belong right now.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Just saw this little snippet on the web:

Radio Futuro [via Blabbermouth] conducted an interview with Labrie, asking for his opinion on the possible return of founding member Mike Portnoy.
    “That possibility, I don’t see it ever happening. It’s not gonna happen, because, first and foremost, Mike Mangini is a full-fledged member of the band now; he’s a phenomenal drummer and he’s doing everything that we could possibly want as a drummer in a band. He’s helping us realize exactly what we wanna do right now musically. And he will be our drummer until the day that we finish doing this, when we conclude.”
    LaBrie adds, “Mike Portnoy was a big part of our past, but I think that’s where it’s going to remain. He was a drummer from the past. And as far as presently and into the future, it will be Mike Mangini, and we all feel very strongly about that. He’s an incredible drummer, he’s an incredible asset to the band, and he is fulfilling out wildest dreams as far as what we’re doing musically and what we’re doing with each album. So that’s the way it stands.”

Dream Theater seem to have a new energy since Mangini joined the band, as members are constantly gushing over his skills. The band are legendary for their proficiency and perfection, all members striving towards a common goal of creating incredibly progressive music. The music has always been the priority for the band, never taking the time to bask in rock star excess.

With Mangini manning the sticks, the band is focused and looking ahead, putting everything else behind them. This can still be a tough pill for old-school Dream Theater fans to swallow, but, like the band’s attitude seems to represent, the music can do the talking.

User Info Menu

Both Portnoy and Mangini are excellent drummers. There's no question about that. However, I feel that with Mangini a lot of parts are much less complex than Portnoy's...a lot more straightforward I guess. Yes, there was an album where Mangini had little to no input on the drum writing. No, I didn't notice too much of a change on the album after it as far as more interesting drumming. It's not necessarily a good or bad thing, it's just an observation I have made. The parts he plays do fit with the songs very well, it's just that a lot of it seems overshadowed by the guitar and keyboards whereas before it seemed more balanced to me. Just a different style.

The only definite complaint I have about Mangini is that there are parts that sound too mechanical. I literally thought a computer was playing some parts of certain songs using samples of his drums.

Now, if you have a chance to look on youtube for a while, there's a video somewhere of Mike Mangini's audition process, or at least part of it. It shows the entire jam session they had, and that is fantastic! His live drum solos are also a lot more interesting than Portnoy's ever were to me. There's speed, but also a lot of other stuff...more melodic ideas, different musical styles, etc. It's not just rolling around the drums.

So I like them for different reasons. I don't really prefer one over the other in DT.

Now Jordan Rudess is an absolute genius. I enjoy pretty much everything he does, especially some of his solo albums.

Liquid Tension Experiment is also great if you enjoy instrumental stuff. 3 4ths of the band was in Dream Theater at one point with only the bass player being different (Tony Levin).

User Info Menu

Im going to Japan in October and DT will be there.

Dare I ask if I should catch it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Both Portnoy and Mangini are excellent drummers. There's no question about that. However, I feel that with Mangini a lot of parts are much less complex than Portnoy's...a lot more straightforward I guess. Yes, there was an album where Mangini had little to no input on the drum writing. No, I didn't notice too much of a change on the album after it as far as more interesting drumming. It's not necessarily a good or bad thing, it's just an observation I have made. The parts he plays do fit with the songs very well, it's just that a lot of it seems overshadowed by the guitar and keyboards whereas before it seemed more balanced to me. Just a different style.

The only definite complaint I have about Mangini is that there are parts that sound too mechanical. I literally thought a computer was playing some parts of certain songs using samples of his drums.

Now, if you have a chance to look on youtube for a while, there's a video somewhere of Mike Mangini's audition process, or at least part of it. It shows the entire jam session they had, and that is fantastic! His live drum solos are also a lot more interesting than Portnoy's ever were to me. There's speed, but also a lot of other stuff...more melodic ideas, different musical styles, etc. It's not just rolling around the drums.

So I like them for different reasons. I don't really prefer one over the other in DT.

Now Jordan Rudess is an absolute genius. I enjoy pretty much everything he does, especially some of his solo albums.

Liquid Tension Experiment is also great if you enjoy instrumental stuff. 3 4ths of the band was in Dream Theater at one point with only the bass player being different (Tony Levin).
    I agree with you. Portnoy's complex soloing, (especially around As I Am at the 5 minute mark) Has more of a Dream Theater style.

-Mike

User Info Menu

“That possibility, I don’t see it ever happening. It’s not gonna happen, because, first and foremost, Mike Mangini is a full-fledged member of the band now; he’s a phenomenal drummer and he’s doing everything that we could possibly want as a drummer in a band. He’s helping us realize exactly what we wanna do right now musically. And he will be our drummer until the day that we finish doing this, when we conclude.”

The music has always been the priority for the band, never taking the time to bask in rock star excess.

With Mangini manning the sticks, the band is focused and looking ahead, putting everything else behind them.
    Reading between the lines, here is what I see..............

With Mangini in the band, we still have the talent of a Portnoy without having to put up with all his negativity and ego. MP wanted the band to take an extended leave and we refused.............now that he is gone, we see a chance to move forward with less friction.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Just saw this little snippet on the web:

Radio Futuro [via Blabbermouth] conducted an interview with Labrie, asking for his opinion on the possible return of founding member Mike Portnoy.
    LaBrie adds, “Mike Portnoy was a big part of our past, but I think that’s where it’s going to remain. He was a drummer from the past. And as far as presently and into the future, it will be Mike Mangini, and we all feel very strongly about that. He’s an incredible drummer, he’s an incredible asset to the band, and he is fulfilling out wildest dreams as far as what we’re doing musically and what we’re doing with each album. So that’s the way it stands.”

Dream Theater seem to have a new energy since Mangini joined the band, as members are constantly gushing over his skills. The band are legendary for their proficiency and perfection, all members striving towards a common goal of creating incredibly progressive music. The music has always been the priority for the band, never taking the time to bask in rock star excess.

With Mangini manning the sticks, the band is focused and looking ahead, putting everything else behind them. This can still be a tough pill for old-school Dream Theater fans to swallow, but, like the band’s attitude seems to represent, the music can do the talking.
    In many ways, I do believe Mangini is more of a positive character who isn't afraid of trying new things. I'm not sure what style of music Mangini used to play but he definitely has the speed and talent for DT.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I saw him when he was in Extreme. The "Waiting For The Punchline" album has some cool stuff on it. Nothing like DT. He only plays on 3 or 4 of the songs. He was good at the concert. Did a lengthy solo
    Last edited by slinky; 09-01-2014 at 08:39 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

He also did some work with Steve Vai. I have only seen live YouTube stuff. I don't know if he recorded with Vai.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

My favorite band for more than 20 years. Seen them 8 times. Anytime they come near DC, my wife knows I'm GOING to the show. No negotiations, no ifs, ands, or buts. Dream Theater is easily the most interesting, thought provoking and original band out there. They are the only band that matters.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

I love Mangini's kit. Everything flows very smooth

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I love Mangini's kit. Everything flows very smooth
    Unfortunately you can't see it because of the rack!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by metallitroy View Post
    They are the only band that matters.
    To you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    Unfortunately you can't see it because of the rack!
    Agreed

-Mike

User Info Menu

I'm a HUGE dream theater nut. But I was an even bigger Mike Portnoy fan. When he left I just kinda fell out. I'm not a huge fan of the sound/tuning of Mangini's kit in the newest album. The snare drum is to muddy. I love his playing, I love his style.

And as far as his setup you guys said it flows... but I think placing his octobons up in the sky is ridiculous lol Such a funny reach to play them

User Info Menu

I'm not too much of a DT fan. I like a few of their songs. But I do love MP's drumming. I'm a huge MP fan. I also like MM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'm a HUGE dream theater nut. But I was an even bigger Mike Portnoy fan. When he left I just kinda fell out. I'm not a huge fan of the sound/tuning of Mangini's kit in the newest album. The snare drum is to muddy. I love his playing, I love his style.

And as far as his setup you guys said it flows... but I think placing his octobons up in the sky is ridiculous lol Such a funny reach to play them

I agree, his tuning on the last album really sounds like garbage to me. The previous album's tuning was so much better.

I like his setup ideas. The octobans are in an awkward place. I can only assume they are meaning the overall setup concept. But he seems to make it work either way. I remember reading an interview with MM where he said something about having the octobans in that position because "there's really nowhere else for them to go".

User Info Menu

I'm posting this link again for those of you that have never seen it -- you can judge for yourselves............and also for those of you that need a reminder.............live at Luna Park :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JauQOgl4cR0
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I'm posting this link again for those of you that have never seen it -- you can judge for yourselves............and also for those of you that need a reminder.............live at Luna Park :

Man, even with the great Mike Mangini I get bored with drum solos. I didn't make it all the way through that.

No question Mike is an awesome drummer, but I think the stuff he plays during DT songs is better than that solo.

User Info Menu

This is exactly what I was thinking of in an earlier post when I said Mangini's solos were much more interesting than Portnoy's.

User Info Menu

I've seen that video about 100 times. I kept replaying 4:14. I didn't think he did much of that anymore! You have to watch the whole thing. Love his drum face!

-Mike