Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: Vinyl record collectors!

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Vinyl record collectors!

    I'm sure there aren't many vinyl collectors on this forum, but for the few that there are, this thread is dedicated to you! What genre do you collect? Anything vinyl!!

    So far I have about 150 and am currently collecting 70s rock, progressive rock and pretty much anything I can find! I'd love to hear about your collections. When did you start?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    Not a collector, however, I have about 250 albums in my basement that have been packed up in the same box since about 1979. Needless to say, 70's rock is what lives in that box.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    I used to have like 500 albums...a couple hundred cassettes too....sold so many off...now down to 200 or so albums various genre. Lots of CD's too but everything is so easy accessing on the computer now.

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    I have 400-500 LP's mostly 60's and 70's classic rock. About 100 45's
    I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    I have 400-500 LP's mostly 60's and 70's classic rock. About 100 45's
    Are any quadraphonic? I used to have a turntable for those and still have a few albums. no more 78's or 45's though.
    The only 45's I have are with some vintage comic books.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 09-20-2014 at 08:03 AM.

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    I have 400-500 LP's mostly 60's and 70's classic rock. About 100 45's
    Although I don't have any vinyl albums any more, my older brother still has every one he ever bought. I'd say he's close to 500 as well. Everything from Rock (all aspects) to Folk and Country....starting from the early-mid '60's. Many of the artists were slightly out of the mainstream, which makes it even more interesting. I'm pretty thoroughly exposed to music, but he can still pull out records of bands/artists that I've never heard of. There's nothing like the warm sound of a vinyl record coming through a quality vintage turntable and tube amp.
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    The last time that I counted them I had about 600 albums. Plus my sweetheart had 200 or so when we met. Between hers and mine likely we have over 700 when you subtract the duplicates. At the time that I boxed them up I had every Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jeff Beck, Pat Benetar, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Led Zeppelin, Police, Yes and Eric Clapton album yet released as well as complete collections from many other artists. (This list is just off the top of my head.)

    45's?

    I have several hundred of them as well. A lot of those consist of stuff from the sixties, The Yardbirds, Jefferson Airplane, Cream, Hendrix, The Who, Etc...

    And yes, I still have turntables. Alas, all but one are still packed up as well.

    On the wall of my music room I have over 6,000 CDs, that is still an active and growing collection.

    My iPod has somewhere around 7,000 songs loaded on it so far and I have a terabyte hard drive with over 70,000 songs on it.

    I'm sort of into music...
    -Mike


    "We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

    "I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

    "Cymbals happen."

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    I'm not really a collector of vinyl but I have about 300 - mainly late 60's to late 70's Rock, Red rock, Pub Rock, R&B and some Blues Rock/Blues.

    My friend Mike owns the only used vinyl shop in Plymouth and I frequently visit his place when I am in the town centre. He lets local bands display ads for gigs/band members wanted/equipment for sale etc and its a good place to find out what is happening in and around Plymouth. I don't really buy much but Mike is aware of my taste (or lack of) in music and most times I visit he has a few old albums put aside for me to take home and evaluate. Generally he is spot on and I end up buying most things I take home.

    A few months ago I bought an album and he burst out laughing - I asked what's so funny. He explained that the numbered sticker on the top right hand corner means it is one of his original albums for sale (he's been in business for over 20 years - he gave up on trying to number and record everything after 6 months because he had so much stock), he was sorting out old stock to take to a local Oxfam recycling place and noticed it. Her made a bet with Steve (a vinyl junky that seems to live in his shop) that I would buy it as soon as I saw it and he was right. He gave me the album as he said it was worth it for the laugh. I believe that means my choice in music sucks.... Still free is free and I really like the album.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Talking Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I'm not really a collector of vinyl but I have about 300 - mainly late 60's to late 70's Rock, Red rock, Pub Rock, R&B and some Blues Rock/Blues.

    My friend Mike owns the only used vinyl shop in Plymouth and I frequently visit his place when I am in the town centre. He lets local bands display ads for gigs/band members wanted/equipment for sale etc and its a good place to find out what is happening in and around Plymouth. I don't really buy much but Mike is aware of my taste (or lack of) in music and most times I visit he has a few old albums put aside for me to take home and evaluate. Generally he is spot on and I end up buying most things I take home.

    A few months ago I bought an album and he burst out laughing - I asked what's so funny. He explained that the numbered sticker on the top right hand corner means it is one of his original albums for sale (he's been in business for over 20 years - he gave up on trying to number and record everything after 6 months because he had so much stock), he was sorting out old stock to take to a local Oxfam recycling place and noticed it. Her made a bet with Steve (a vinyl junky that seems to live in his shop) that I would buy it as soon as I saw it and he was right. He gave me the album as he said it was worth it for the laugh. I believe that means my choice in music sucks.... Still free is free and I really like the album.
    That's funny! But you have to share, what was the album?

    (I likely own it.)
    -Mike


    "We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

    "I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

    "Cymbals happen."

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    That's funny! But you have to share, what was the album?

    (I likely own it.)
    It is a Graham Parker and the Rumour Album - "Squeezing Out Sparks" from 1979. They had lots of critical acclaim between 76 - 79, but not much sales success. They "made it" just as punk music destroyed rock in the UK and kind of fizzled out without notice.

    I got into the band recently. Finger on the pulse as usual.....

    If you get a chance try listening to "Howling Wind" from 76 - my personal favourite. They were a fusion of Rock, R&B and Soul.

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    I'm currently looking for King Crimson - the court of the crimson king. It's crazy how much they ask for used vinyl here in Manitoba. Luckily a few guys opened a huge vinyl store downtown. I find myself looking in the bargain bin for half an hour each time I go there.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    I only have 4 Crimson LP's


    some picture discs, this one Hendrix


    cool Stones, Some Girls LP with a discontinued cover


    Zappa albums..
    Last edited by Olimpass; 09-20-2014 at 03:12 PM.

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I only have 4 Crimson LP's


    some picture discs, this one Hendrix


    cool Stones, Some Girls LP with a discontinued cover


    Zappa albums..
    Nice! I'm looking at getting a picture disc by Rush "The Garden" they're selling them pretty cheap on ebay.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 09-20-2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: i
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    Earlier this year I ordered the 40th anniversary rush rediscovered box set. It came with their debut vinyl, a poster, a rush family tree, a digital download, and 3 photos of Geddy, Alex and John.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    mine fits in one box but what I have brings back so many memories I don't want to get rid of them. It's all hard rock stuff. Foghat Live was the first record I ever bought.

    One of the local bands here had some vinyl made for their latest recording. It would be pretty cool to do that.
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    http://reddirtmountain.com/
    UFiP

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    Zappa Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar my all time favorite, back in the 70's used to follow his tour on the east coast Philly, N.Y., D.C. Pittsburg good ole days.
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    It is a Graham Parker and the Rumour Album - "Squeezing Out Sparks" from 1979. They had lots of critical acclaim between 76 - 79, but not much sales success. They "made it" just as punk music destroyed rock in the UK and kind of fizzled out without notice.

    I got into the band recently. Finger on the pulse as usual.....

    If you get a chance try listening to "Howling Wind" from 76 - my personal favourite. They were a fusion of Rock, R&B and Soul.
    I was kidding when I said that I likely own it... but I do.


    I love Graham Parker and the Rumour. Mercury Poisoning, Local girls, Temporary beauty, Wake up next to you. (which I think was solo, not with the Rumour. )
    -Mike


    "We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

    "I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

    "Cymbals happen."

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    Zappa Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar my all time favorite, back in the 70's used to follow his tour on the east coast Philly, N.Y., D.C. Pittsburg good ole days.
    I have that on CD. Great album!
    - Tom

    T-shirts and Gifts for All Musicians

    -----------------------------
    New Drum Party Lights!
    Jazz up your drum room, your studio or your screened in porch. Maybe take them camping!
    Decorate your next party! Now... drummers have their own awesome drum party lights! Drum Chat members get 20% off!
    Simply enter drumlights20 upon checkout.

    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html



    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html

    When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.
    That will also allow you to be eligible to win a free drum T-shirt. Drum Bum gives away a free T-shirt every month!

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    Do a sound comparison from an old LP and a modern CD.
    Quite a difference
    I did it to a Dark Side Of The Moon LP, CD. Lots of back ground sounds are missing on the CD.
    If I remember right, LP's were recorded on a six to eight track. Where CD's were recorded on four track.
    Just figured out how to hook my turntable up to my surround sound.
    WOW is all I can say to Comfortably Numb.
    I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    Comfortably Numb another awesome song.
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

  21. #21

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    Do a sound comparison from an old LP and a modern CD.
    Quite a difference
    I did it to a Dark Side Of The Moon LP, CD. Lots of back ground sounds are missing on the CD.
    If I remember right, LP's were recorded on a six to eight track. Where CD's were recorded on four track.
    Just figured out how to hook my turntable up to my surround sound.
    WOW is all I can say to Comfortably Numb.
    the frying bacon sound is cool too I use to put my vinyl onto hifi cassettes and they sounded better than store bought cassettes with the same album
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    http://reddirtmountain.com/
    UFiP

  22. #22

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    I don't have any of my old albums anymore (along with a few other
    cool things I wish I still had). I have an ex and not the good kind.

  23. #23

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    All of my Rush albums sound amazing. They actually sound a bit faster and a lot warmer. Beautiful sound!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  24. #24

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    the frying bacon sound is cool too I use to put my vinyl onto hifi cassettes and they sounded better than store bought cassettes with the same album
    I've done that but recorded in real time to my computer instead with some albums.
    Old band recordings from cassette too.

  25. #25

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

    I haven't counted, but I do have a bit of vinyl, bit of a mish mash, but there are a few cool ones. I like the slightly different, obscure and stuff most around my way don't bother with. Amongst them I have:

    Stewart Copeland's "Klark Kent" album (first solo album released after The Police had their first two albums out). I also have two 7" singles from that album, both on green see-through vinyl.

    An Australian tour EP by The Cult, signed by all of the band at that time.

    Robert Fripp's "Under Heavy Manners/Let The Power Fall" (David Byrne on guest vocals). This also had a postcard included with a picture Fripp himself with his early Frippertronics and guitar set-up.

    Allan Holdworth's "I.O.U.", the red covered 1985 reissue (originally came out in 1982 with a black cover).

    "Archives", the triple album compilation of Rush's first three albums, issued in a grey sleeve with the Starman logo on the front. Although more likely to be found overseas, it's not commonly found over here in Sydney. I've a couple or so of their albums on vinyl...."Grace Under Pressure", "Signals", "Moving Pictures", "Presto" and "Permanent Waves".

    A vinyl copy of UK's "Danger Money" that used to belong in Radio 2MBS FM's archive, which I bought in a record fair.

    Bill Bruford & Patrick Moraz's "Music For Piano & Drums", which I picked up for only $3! As far as I know, for the longest time it was out of print until it got rereleased on CD a while back.

    Eric Johnson's "Tones" album, picked up for another ridiculous price, $5. Still gets an airing on my turntable.

    "Geronimo", a compilation album of The Shadows greatest hits. Not sure if it's an English or Australian issue. Was one of my early playalongs as a younger player.

    A Bob Marley compilation that was released in New Zealand.

    Joe Jackson's '1 & a half' double album "Big World". Why '1 & a half"? Well, the second record has music grooves cut into one side but not the other, and that side is marked "There is no music on this side" just to let you know. And if you think that's nuts, there's a Daddy Cool compilation I got that is two full albums plus a single with only one side recorded on. It's like they went "Hey, we ran outta room on these two, but we still need to include this one on our double album!"

    "Brimstone & Treacle"...soundtrack to the movie Sting acted in, which includes a few non-album Police tracks.

    "McDonald And Giles"....Ian McDonald and Michael Giles from early King Crimson.

    A few albums from the short lived No Speak sub label, that was run by Miles Copeland, including a guitar compilation, "Guitar Speak" and a Wishbone Ash album specially recorded for the label as an instrumental.

    A couple of Andy Summers' ambient albums from the Private Music label, all instrumental. Also, a Fripp/Summers collaboration "I Advance Masked". I got some other ambient albums as well.

    Comedy albums such as "Monster Mash" by Bobby "Boris" Pickett and "Comedy Caravan", with comedians such as Stan Freeberg, Andy Griffith and so on.

    Rolling Stones' "Sticky Fingers" album, with the original zipper.

    I've also a few shelves with audio and VHS cassettes that are slowly, slowly getting converted into digital copies, but I love having the old technology around too. Got VHS recorders that still work fine, a CD Walkman or two, a CD/cassette/radio, two 4-in-1 shelf systems (one in the house, one in the garage) and last year came across a real old record player that has four speeds....16, 33, 45 & 78, made somewhere in the late 60's/early 70's.....it has an AM radio fitted in that apparently has AM radio markings for most states in Australia, and that still works!

    I'll definitely will have to do some pics.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

    668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

    "A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •