Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinyl record collectors!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vinyl record collectors!

I just recently cleaned out my old LP's and sold them at a store that buys vinyl..I had a lot of 45's from the days gone by when I DJ'd parties..yes 45s!!! I also had a few cassettes...but those were just trashed. I kept ONE 45...a song from the Rationals that were a Michigan band and recorded in Ann Arbor...song title.."Respect"
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

About a month ago I found an old suitcase in my storage room full of Italian 45's. Hundreds! Some with sleeves.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I just started collecting my own vinyl. Most of the time I play my dads old stuff. I have about 30 records of my own but he's got hundreds. I also have a ton of CDs

User Info Menu

Not a colllector but do have about 40 Lp's from the 70-80's classic rock and a 10 45's sitting in old travel trunks that I use for coffee tables lol. Not sure if any of these vinyls are worth anything. Heard vinyls are coming back.

User Info Menu

Here's an update. I found the entire ELP discography in studio albums, in the court of the Crimson king, in the wake of Poseidon, and about 100 more since I last posted.

-Mike

User Info Menu

As a hobby I collect and restore "vintage" stereo receivers , tape decks and turntables . There is a network of people who do the same and of coarse buyers .
    I had a big collection of LP's but back around 94 we had a house fire that melted the whole collection ! So I've been on a quest to replace all my favorites . Mostly the sixties and early seventies jazz stuff . The hardcore R&B stuff is harder to get as well as all the stuff my dad passed on to me which is all in Spanish (Mexican Mariachi and trio stuff) . Luckily the two albums he (my dad) sang on were at my brothers at the time and survived . Those two are family heirlooms !
    I have a few set ups I rotate (I have issues with committing to ONE single thing) . All refurbished by me , quality stuff .
    The prices here on used vinyl are in the upper end . Zia Records actually runs the LP's though a record cleaner and then put in a anti-static sleeve along with the original sleeve and their prices are pretty fair . They grade the vinyl and price it accordingly . My favorite place for LP's .
    When I was on the road I dragged along a Technics SLD-2 turntable , a Kenwood KA-5700 integrated amp and a pair of JBL bookshelf speakers . I still have the TT and the amp but the speakers are long gone .I carried them in a metal foot ocker . Man we use to have the BEST parties in my hotel room after the gigs ! LOL !!

User Info Menu

Very nice! That's really too bad about the fire. I found a Yamaha RX-300U receiver for $40 on kijiji. Only thing is the switch to change the input crackles when I change it, and you have to jiggle it to get both channels in clearly.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Very nice! That's really too bad about the fire. I found a Yamaha RX-300U receiver for $40 on kijiji. Only thing is the switch to change the input crackles when I change it, and you have to jiggle it to get both channels in clearly.
    Two things might be what's going on with that switch . I'ts dirty or the solders have come loose from the pc board . Both easy fixes .
    For a dirty switch just spray it from the back with DeoxIt D5 spray cleaner (and only this NOT DW 40) and turn the knob a bunch of times .
    Loose solders , just reheat the contacts at the pc board with a solder gun . Add just a BIT more solder if needed .
    That's a good receiver . Generally the early Yamaha stuff goes for big money . Some of the BEST receivers out there . Especially the silver face stuff . I have a few of those . Pair them with a set of early JBL speakers and you've got magic !

User Info Menu

Nowadays it seems like such a chore to put on an album or even a CD. lol

Seriously, I love putting on an album once in awhile.

Where do you find parts if needed jedi?

I used to have a nice Marantz receiver.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-02-2017 at 10:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Nowadays it seems like such a chore to put on an album or even a CD. lol

Seriously, I love putting on an album once in awhile.

Where do you find parts if needed jedi?

I used to have a nice Marantz receiver.
    There is a forum for vintage stereos that I'm a member of as well . There are people there that have donor sets that the y take and sell parts from . Sometimes they just give it to you . Really awesome people on there . And advice and circuit prints are always free .
    The tube guys are hardcore . I don't have tube stuff just solid state stuff .
    For new stuff ... capacitors , switches , resistors , power supplies , power packs and such it's either Parts Express or Mouser Electronics .

User Info Menu

My brother the last 5-6 years buying old tube receivers, record players, etc. off eBay and at garage sales and auctions. I converted one old tube record player to a guitar amp, which we use on occasion at gigs. It's hands down the best sounding tube amp we have for low volume situations. Last fall, my brother sold 90% of the old tube "junk" he collected to a local guy. He only had around $250 in all of it, but the guy dug through it all, took what he wanted and paid $1000.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I grew up on a military outpost on Okinawa Japan and I collected Japan pressed American vinyl. All of the major labels had international subsidiaries in Japan and the LP's were printed with different album liners and the artwork was always a bit different. The Apple label used Sony to re-press all of the Beatles albums.

Aerosmith albums were ones I always liked!

User Info Menu

I have my own collection that I started back in the early 70's when my mother started getting me 8 tracks. I remember when she bought me my first "stereo" back in '71 along with my first three vinyl albums:

Master of Reality - Black Sabbath
    Machine Head - Deep Purple
    Grand Funk Live Album - Grand Funk

Still have them today. Over the years I acquired several hundred albums through record clubs, record conventions, and such. I lost two crates of them about 20 years ago when I had them in storage and a water leak got 'em. Still have the rest of them though.

Can't beat the sound of vinyl on a good ole vintage analog stereo system ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    There is a forum for vintage stereos that I'm a member of as well . There are people there that have donor sets that the y take and sell parts from . Sometimes they just give it to you . Really awesome people on there . And advice and circuit prints are always free .
    The tube guys are hardcore . I don't have tube stuff just solid state stuff .
    For new stuff ... capacitors , switches , resistors , power supplies , power packs and such it's either Parts Express or Mouser Electronics .
    Sounds like a great way to network and share. Thanks jedi!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Two things might be what's going on with that switch . I'ts dirty or the solders have come loose from the pc board . Both easy fixes .
    For a dirty switch just spray it from the back with DeoxIt D5 spray cleaner (and only this NOT DW 40) and turn the knob a bunch of times .
    Loose solders , just reheat the contacts at the pc board with a solder gun . Add just a BIT more solder if needed .
    That's a good receiver . Generally the early Yamaha stuff goes for big money . Some of the BEST receivers out there . Especially the silver face stuff . I have a few of those . Pair them with a set of early JBL speakers and you've got magic !
    My buddy had a pair of hitachi hsp-2400 speakers lying around so he gave them to me. They paired perfectly with the receiver. No I'm on the hunt to find a good vintage turntable. Not my picture but these are them:

IMG_1792.JPG

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have a box in the basement with literally hundres of vinyl records.