Thread: Everyone Please Read

User Info Menu

Exclamation Everyone Please Read

It's probably time to make another one of these posts. Occasionally comments will be made about this or that issue or that the forum isn't as busy or that someone makes them mad and they're going to leave, etc. I thought I would take a few minutes to raise some points:

1. The shoutbox is not a measure of forum activity. While we're lucky to have it (not every forum has one), it is only used part of the time by members. It goes through phases where 3 or 4 forum members will really use it a lot and it's very active but most of the time, it's hit and miss. Remember; not everyone likes the shoutbox. Many members prefer the regular forum environment because they can post at their leisure rather than feeling like they have to keep up with a live conversation.

2. Drum Chat is one of the largest drum forums on the internet. As I speak, there are 342 visitors. That's a ton of people! But... there are only 9 members signed in right now. So, like a lot of clubs offline, it's only as good as the members make it. Your involvement helps shape the ebb and flow of the forum. If you don't post, others have less to respond to. This is particularly a call to action for our visitors. Please sign up and be a contributing member. We would love to have you!

3. Leaving a club because someone rubs you the wrong way is just silly. I'm an old guy and I can tell you that I have never had one job or ever been in a club or organization of some kind where someone didn't rub me the wrong way. It's just life. There is no way we can make it a perfect environment to suit each individual in the forum. We'll do our best to keep the troublemakers out but we can not ban someone simply because someone else doesn't particularly care for them. If the said party isn't breaking the rules, they get to stay. The best thing, and the mature thing to do, is to simply ignore someone if you don't like them.

4. Communication: I can't help resolve an issue if I don't know that one exists. Sometimes a member will get upset about something someone said and sometimes that offending party is being a jerk, or at the least provoking conflict. If that's the case, they will get a warning and if it continues, they might be banned. BUT... , I can't help resolve anything if I don't know it's going on. My job keeps me very busy and I try to read every thread but there is no way to keep up with every post. Therefore, if you have an issue with another member and can't resolve it on your own, come tell me or Pastor Bob. We'll do everything we can to help you.

5. DrumChat has roots in the ground. That means that it's not going anywhere. When 5 people leave, 10 more take their place. As I always say, it has an ebb and flow. It never stays up all the time as people grow and move on. It will go through phases where it's less busy but then it will get busier again. That has never changed since day one.

6. It isn't necessary to quit a forum and never look back. That's like quitting drums because you need a break or you're not feeling particularly inspired that week. Sure, take a break from the forum. It sometimes gives you some fresh air or allows you more time to work on some other things, but consider us your family. That's the way I think of it anyway and I think many others do too. You don't have to think about leaving for good. Just take a break and come back sometime to visit. You might just fall in love with Drum Chat all over again.

The only other thing I'll mention is that, while I do have a regular job, I also get paid by Drum Bum to help moderate this place (along with other marketing stuff for them). They don't pay me to participate but I've always offered to try to help keep it active. So, I'll work harder at staying involved in more of the threads if I feel it's going through a slower period.

Thanks for listening and feel free to comment. We appreciate each and every one of you and your contribution to the forum!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Everyone Please Read

Thanks for the updates!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Thank you for taking the time to compose and post this timely reminder.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've wondered lately about this subject. It does seem things have slowed down a bit. Still think we need a new picture on home page.Lol.

User Info Menu

thanks for giving us the heads up.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Thanks Drummer, I think the forum has been moving along quite nicely actually and I appreciate the work it takes to keep it the best chat forum on the internet.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Nice write up

User Info Menu

Very well written. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Good stuff Drummer. I never really have understood why people feel the need to announce their exit. When they come back, and they usually do, it just seems all the more foolish. Just my opinion.

If you're going to leave, do it in style like I did once..........GET BANNED.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 10-23-2014 at 05:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

When I leave I'm gonna post a video of me playing a killer drum solo on fire till the pain is more than I can take.

User Info Menu

Good thread!

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    When I leave I'm gonna post a video of me playing a killer drum solo on fire till the pain is more than I can take.
    Look on the brighter side. If you spill your coffee during the solo you probably won't notice.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've been doing internet forums for a long time. One thing is certain. Regulars come and go. On every forum, on every topic, forever. People's lives change. Priorities change. There will always be new members and there will always be members you wished were still around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I've been doing internet forums for a long time. One thing is certain. Regulars come and go. On every forum, on every topic, forever. People's lives change. Priorities change. There will always be new members and there will always be members you wished were still around.
    Well said Marko.

User Info Menu

Wait a sec - so you are saying people LEAVE the forum and then come BACK to the forum? I cannot for the life of me imagine doing something like that!

User Info Menu

Well written post Tom. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for your replies.

User Info Menu

Thanks drummer. You also forgot to say you sometimes give people a 2nd chance when they screw up.Some drummers just don't get how important this forum Of drummers are. Where can you get first hand info on any set and pretty much anything about drums. Ok enough said. Just like to say DC has been there when I needed it most.
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

That was eloquently put - poetic even. Sometimes people just get busy with work, relationships, hobbies and such that they just don't have a spare moment to hit the threads or shoutbox. Happens to me too, things come up and my day gets packed full of distractions and at times I struggle to come up for air. I think we do what we can to stay involved, but there are priorities to consider.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    6. It isn't necessary to quit a forum and never look back. That's like quitting drums because you need a break or you're not feeling particularly inspired that week. Sure, take a break from the forum. It sometimes gives you some fresh air or allows you more time to work on some other things, but consider us your family. That's the way I think of it anyway and I think many others do too. You don't have to think about leaving for good. Just take a break and come back sometime to visit. You might just fall in love with Drum Chat all over again.
    So so true... Now for my best Travis Bickle imitation:

You talkin' to me?

Thanks for the shot of perspective Drummer.

Mike

User Info Menu

I really agree with #6 on that list (more so than all the others, which I do agree with as well). I know my days of being on here recently haven't been nearly as much as they had been years ago. But this is the place where I created this username for the first time, a username that I've taken with me to many places. This is the place where I learned how to properly use a forum, some dos and don'ts. And of course, there are still members that post here that I've known since then.

I don't think I'll ever actually leave for good. This place will definitely be on the list of "go-to" places for whatever. Will I post today and not for another year? Maybe, maybe not. I don't know yet. But whatever the outcome is, it's not ingrained in my brain right now.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    I really agree with #6 on that list (more so than all the others, which I do agree with as well). I know my days of being on here recently haven't been nearly as much as they had been years ago. But this is the place where I created this username for the first time, a username that I've taken with me to many places. This is the place where I learned how to properly use a forum, some dos and don'ts. And of course, there are still members that post here that I've known since then.

I don't think I'll ever actually leave for good. This place will definitely be on the list of "go-to" places for whatever. Will I post today and not for another year? Maybe, maybe not. I don't know yet. But whatever the outcome is, it's not ingrained in my brain right now.
    I remember when your bro took all of the moongel off your drum heads and poked holes in them lol...Glad that you come back from time to time....