Thread: Tips For New Drummers

User Info Menu

Question Tips For New Drummers

I am somewhat a new drummer, I have been playing for about 3 years, and I am sure that I am doing some messed up things, and not doing some important things. Any tips for me and any new drummer?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tips For New Drummers

First tip, have fun and enjoy what you're doing
    Second tip, stay relaxed and try to hit the pocket
    Third, find what you love and make it yours... gotta own it

What style are you into?

User Info Menu

Learn to read. It will make learning so much easier and self-sufficient.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Practice with a metronome, at least sometimes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Yes! This advice has already helped me!

User Info Menu

Learn a lot of songs. Keep your ears open and absorb. Look at songs not only from a drummer's perspective but think about the melody, the lyrics, etc. and how they all work together. Play for the song first before you even think about playing a drum fill. Take lessons from more than one teacher so you get different approaches. Learn a bunch of styles, you'll work more.

The owner's of this site have another site called drum tips, where you'll find thousands more.

Good luck and of course drumchat is chock full of tips and valuable information from thousands of experienced drummers.

User Info Menu

Welcome!
    I'm not a Pro but don't practice 1x a weak 2 hours but at least 5-6 x a weak 30 minutes - 1h (depends on your level)

Protect your hearing and use Hearsafe.

Take Lessons and be open for a bunch of styles.

Matt Putato wrote a very helpful article:
    [deleted - sorry skills, with the exception of paid advertisers, links to sites that sell commercial product are not permitted - Tom]
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Tips For New Drummers

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    First tip, have fun and enjoy what you're doing
    Second tip, stay relaxed and try to hit the pocket
    Third, find what you love and make it yours... gotta own it

What style are you into?

I'm into rock, pop, and more modern types of music.
    Thanks for all the tips!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Ok, I haven't been doing that much lately, but I'll try to get back into the habit.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Learn a lot of songs. Keep your ears open and absorb. Look at songs not only from a drummer's perspective but think about the melody, the lyrics, etc. and how they all work together. Play for the song first before you even think about playing a drum fill. Take lessons from more than one teacher so you get different approaches. Learn a bunch of styles, you'll work more.

The owner's of this site have another site called drum tips, where you'll find thousands more.

Good luck and of course drumchat is chock full of tips and valuable information from thousands of experienced drummers.
    Ok, I'll try to expand my range and try new styles.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Tips For New Drummers

Quote Originally Posted by skills View Post
    Welcome!
    I'm not a Pro but don't practice 1x a weak 2 hours but at least 5-6 x a weak 30 minutes - 1h (depends on your level)

Protect your hearing and use Hearsafe.

Take Lessons and be open for a bunch of styles.

Matt Putato wrote a very helpful article:
    [deleted - sorry skills, with the exception of paid advertisers, links to sites that sell commercial product are not permitted - Tom]
    Ok. I tend to be practicing daily for about 30-60 minutes, so hopefully I'm on track there. I wish I could still take lessons, but I can't anymore because all my siblings play sports and I have a disabled brother, so we don't really have time.
    Thanks for all those tips!

User Info Menu

Post Re: Tips For New Drummers

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Learn to read. It will make learning so much easier and self-sufficient.
    I can read drum music and other music (treble clef, bass clef stuff) and it definitely helps.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

set up a practice routine of exercises and stick to it. Been playing about the same amount of time as you, in the last 14 months I've made a lot of progress by:

1. Practicing with the metronome almost always (my ekit has a feature which makes this fun and extremely useful).

2. Practicing on average 7+ hours per week

3. Working a lot on technique, this should be the foundation of a practice routine at our level.

4. Setting up a practice routine of exercises you do every practice, with a metronome focusing on technique. Tommy Igoe's great hands for a lifetime is really useful (you can download the pdf if you google it).

I've found that it's better to go with one exercise for one skill, you;ll memorize them in time and you focus better on improving that skill, instead of what you should be playing.

5. Find a drum mentor. If you practice with the metronome, you should already have an idea if you're in the pocket or not, so you don't need to pay someone to stand behind you and tell you that. I've never had a problem recognising if I'm playing something properly or with the right sticking, you probably shouldn't either if you can read music., so no need to pay someone for that either. And you definitely don't need to pay someone to tell you to practice more or you've made good progress, the metronome will tell you that (or your friends/bandmates). What is needed is someone you can see once per month, answer your questions if how you play X is good or not, what's a good exercise to practice Y, turn you on to music you don't know, ect ect. I'm fortunate to have found Yoda for a mentor, I'd be happy to pass on what he's taught me. In theory you could get this support here on DC, but I also think the mentor is someone you go out for a drink with, or can see play live, and even be your friend.

6. Get a practice pad you can take and play on anywhere, I almost never use mine, but when i'm away from my place, it's great still being able to practice.

7. Start slowly, get the timing right before increasing the speed (increments of 5 is a god max). I slowed my routine exercises down by 10-20bpm and my accuracy improved a lot because of that.

8. Practice, practice, practice with a metronome!
    Last edited by jgziegler; 11-01-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Thanks for all those tips! I'll be sure to try and put them into place in my practicing!
    Sneezed On The Beat
    Then The Beat
    Got Sicker

User Info Menu

Use hearing protection!

Playing wise, practice rudiments.They might seem boring but they are highly applicable to the drumset. When you really start to get them you'll begin using various stickings without even thinking about it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    Use hearing protection!

Playing wise, practice rudiments.They might seem boring but they are highly applicable to the drumset. When you really start to get them you'll begin using various stickings without even thinking about it!
    Amen. Getting a hold on esp. the basics will really open you up. Even if you were to concentrate on just singles, doubles, and diddle combos and really master them, you'll be amazed at how much of a difference it will make.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Amen. Getting a hold on esp. the basics will really open you up. Even if you were to concentrate on just singles, doubles, and diddle combos and really master them, you'll be amazed at how much of a difference it will make.
    Not to mention the fact that every single rudiment uses singles, diddles, drags/ruffs, and flams, when you get those down it's all about building from there!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    Not to mention the fact that every single rudiment uses singles, diddles, drags/ruffs, and flams, when you get those down it's all about building from there!
    There you have it!

User Info Menu

Something to think about... never underestimate the value of a reliable drummer who can also sing backup vocals. While drumming along to songs, practice singing along as well. I find that it also helps with my 'limb independence" if I'm paying more attention to proper lyric phrasing while playing.

User Info Menu

And NEVER drink and drum! lol
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by veafer View Post
    And NEVER drink and drum! lol
    If you do, be sure to get a spill safe container and proper cup holder. Nothing worse than sticky drums.
    Signature here