Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone play those cymbals with holes in them?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone play those cymbals with holes in them?

I'm starting to see more and more cymbals with these giant holes bored into them. Anyone own/play these? Is it more of a gimmick, or are these legit? What's the advantages and disadvantages of having holes bored into cymbals? Does it affect durability? Your thoughts?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone play those cymbals with holes in them?

I've seen them being used as bashing rides/crashes with quick decay. They sound cool with various applications.

Last edited by Olimpass; 11-06-2014 at 01:26 PM.

User Info Menu

They're designed as special effects cymbals. Usually a bright crash with a quick decay. A super splash if you will. Or a super bright quick decay china. They look pretty cool.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I like the HHX Ozone crashes - fast, dark, a little trashy (in a good way).

I believe cutting holes in a cymbal will weaken it as there are more edges to strike directly and less metal for the overall size of the cymbal. I have seen quite a few of the Zildjian EFX ozone style cymbals for sale on eBay that have been cracked - they cut several large narrow strips out of the cymbal and the ones I've seen have all cracked from the end of the large cut out strip to the edge of the cymbal (hope that makes sense). Personally if I would only consider an ozone cymbal with round holes cut out - NOT shapes - apparently the forces that build up in the cymbal when struck are dispersed more evenly with round cut outs - with shapes the forces seem to concentrate in small areas potentially causing cracking problems

User Info Menu

I'd go as far as to play a cracked ride, for that one of a kind sizzle sound you can only get with one. Holes, I don't know about that - haven't tried yet.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

All my cymbals have holes. Can't get 'em on the stands otherwise...

User Info Menu

i was going to get one, went out with my mentor to the middle of nowhere and tried it, it was 'dead'. Ended up buying a trash.

As wolfie said, they have a bit of a china sound, so if you figure your first cymbal is a ride, second a large crash and you only want 1 more, they are a good option because they are somewhere between crash/china/splash.

I've seen them a lot over here in Czech Republic, I think i've seen only 1 for sale used in +/- 6 months of looking. Considering Czechs are pretty cheeky, and definitely will try to sell FCKD cymbals, I would say that means at least Czech drummers like them!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    All my cymbals have holes. Can't get 'em on the stands otherwise...
    Zing!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I use a Meinl Custom Classic Trash Crash. I don't particularly care for or like the sound of Chinas so this was perfect to add the sound I wanted.
    It also helped that it cost me a fraction of the new price!

Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I like the HHX Ozone crashes - fast, dark, a little trashy (in a good way).

I believe cutting holes in a cymbal will weaken it as there are more edges to strike directly and less metal for the overall size of the cymbal. I have seen quite a few of the Zildjian EFX ozone style cymbals for sale on eBay that have been cracked - they cut several large narrow strips out of the cymbal and the ones I've seen have all cracked from the end of the large cut out strip to the edge of the cymbal (hope that makes sense). Personally if I would only consider an ozone cymbal with round holes cut out - NOT shapes - apparently the forces that build up in the cymbal when struck are dispersed more evenly with round cut outs - with shapes the forces seem to concentrate in small areas potentially causing cracking problems
    Thanks for this...I was about to plunk down some money for the Zildjian EFX cymbal with the oblong holes. Now, I'm thinking about going with the round holes like the HHX Ozone you mentioned at the top of your post. I'm leary about any holes cut into a cymbal. I know some cut holes in cymbals to stop a crack from spreading but I've also witnessed holes grow beyond the cut out due to the forces applied to the surface of the cymbal when played.

Has anybody had any issues with Sabian Ozone cymbals cracking around the holes??

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=late8;616128] I know some cut holes in cymbals to stop a crack from spreading but I've also witnessed holes grow beyond the cut out due to the forces applied to the surface of the cymbal when played.

I believe this happens for several reasons -

1. They underestimate the length of the crack, sometimes the crack continues but is extremely fine and cannot be seen easily. The cymbal is drilled assuming the crack has stopped and the remaining part of the crack continues to grow with use.

2. The holes drilled tend to be very small - this causes the energy of the flexing crack of the cymbal to be concentrated in the same small area of the drilled out hole, drilling a hole of larger diameter should spread the energy over a wider area. (But it looks crappy).

3. Sometimes when drilling cast metal the edges of the holes are left ragged (it is very difficult to smooth and round off the edges of a small pilot hole) in effect there are many tiny cracks in the cast metal around the newly drilled hole, again the crack will continue to grow.

I'm not sure about the longevity of ozoned cymbals, but if anyone has any experience of these cymbals I would like to hear if you have had any cracking problems.

User Info Menu

I would be interested to know more about the Ozones as well. I've tried 'em, love the way they sound, but shy away from buying one in fear that someone sitting in will smash it to pieces ...

User Info Menu

I have one. Like it a lot. Quick decay. Sort of "dirty" sound to it.

User Info Menu

I have a Zildjian 16" K Efx and love it. I've also owned the 14" A Custom version. In the past I had 16" B8 Pro and 16" AAX Ozone crashes as well. I've had no problems with any of them, but I'm not a hard hitter either. I've heard many stories of the Ozones cracking as well so if the shape of the holes makes a difference, it's probably not a major one.

User Info Menu

I have a Sabian 16" AAX Ozone crash that I play as more of an effects type cymbal. It's like a slightly milder China. I love it. I have not had any problems with cracking. I even had it fall off of a 3 foot drum riser during a gig (poor stand placement). I thought for sure it would be cracked, but nope. Good to go.

User Info Menu

None with GIANT holes yet but i do see a hex ozone in my future. However I do own a Holy China (of coarse) and a 18" aax aero crash so they have holes but not large ones.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Gimmick! 35% less bronze...100% price.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have the mienl you pictured. The 10" piccolo china. I like it. It's not as loud as my 18" china, but sometimes I don't want a big loud china. And it decays fast. I like to use it playing with acoustic guitar.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I own two Sabian ones, and really enjoy them. A very nice balance between shimmering crash, and abrasive china! Get you one!

User Info Menu

I'm an ultra-minimalist, thus I haven't participated in the holey cymbal or the aux snare fads. No disrespect to those of you all who make good use of these extra instruments.
    Thumpin' Scott Comet
    Cool Cajon (Erakkustik), Nice C0cktail Kit (Gretsch Brooklyn), Peculiar Bop Kit (Whitney), Boring 5-piece Normie Kit (Yamaha)

User Info Menu

It's like anything else if you need and have a lot of use out of one then ok. Other than that it is just cool cymbal that looks great in a kit. I would buy one even though I have never heard the sound it is just, the looks that are attractive to me lol
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 11-08-2014 at 10:12 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a sabian evolution cymbal and it has a distinct quick wash sound. I love it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by comet View Post
    I'm an ultra-minimalist, thus I haven't participated in the holey cymbal or the aux snare fads. No disrespect to those of you all who make good use of these extra instruments.
    When you are bored you have to buy something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Gimmick! 35% less bronze...100% price.

all the best...
    Not if you buy them used!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Not if you buy them used!
    Ya but sometimes the used ones have holes in them!