Thread: So I have stitches...

User Info Menu

Default So I have stitches...

Yeah. Due to an incident a couple weeks ago, I still have stitches in 2 fingers in my left hand. I've got practice for a gig tomorrow, and the office for the Doctor who ordered my stitches is currently closed, and won't be until very early tomorrow.

Which begs the question, is it still possible to play at all with these stitches at all? Maybe if it's not just simply taking the sticks and playing, is there still a way I can hold the stick?

The stitches are in my pointer and middle fingers.

Big thanks to anybody who has any idea.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: So I have stitches...

Pull the stitches out yourself.....assuming its time for them to be removed.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

It's not worth messing up your fingers.

User Info Menu

Play like Rick Allen

But with all seriousness, I wouldn't jeopardize your fingers by pulling the stitches out yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Yeah, I didn't think pulling the stitches out myself would be a smart idea. Decisions like that can potentially make an even worse situation out of what's already happened. Not to mention, this is the only time I've ever had stitches, so I don't know how to do it, anyway. Also not to mention I'm not a medical professional.

I'm still wondering, though. Is it possible to have the stick attatched to my hand and not jeopardize the stitches?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

You'll be fine. Maybe some gloves and you'll be fine.

User Info Menu

I'd use a marimba technique and use two sticks in one hand.. I wouldn't chance hurting the finger

User Info Menu

Rub some dirt on it and keep playing.

Tex

User Info Menu

You still have stitches in your hand for two weeks?
    I had thirteen in four fingers and they came out in three days.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Most of it had been the fact that I kept forgetting to call the doctor's office for an appointment to take them out (although the due date for them to be taken out said between the 10th and 14th). My middle finger still looks pretty ugly, although hopefully it'll be fine by December.

This was not a drumming incident, I can assure you.

Nevertheless, I managed to play fine today. I had to definitely hold back on volume, so that meant I could move my wrists faster and keep in time better. Win-win situation.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Glad to hear it worked out
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Pull the stitches out yourself.....assuming its time for them to be removed.
    He will soon see by watching this doctors professionally educated approach of removing the stiches that he should of took your advise Brian.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: So I have stitches...

You'll get with it soon again, CB.

Funny thing happened to me when I broke my right pinky some years ago. They put my right hand in a flexible plastic splint that I nicknamed "the drainpipe" because it looked like one (and sweat ran down the end of it after wearing it for a while)...and I wanted to play so bad I almost couldn't stand it!

Craziest thing was when the splint came off, everyone said I was playin' better than ever!

In fact, I'm confident you'll be playin' better than ever, too!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck