Thread: Warped/bent hardware and cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Warped/bent hardware and cymbals

I have a cymbal stand holding a crash and a rack tom. You can definitely see a slight bend in the middle of the stand. I know it's from the rack tom, but I'm just wondering if this has happened to anybody else. I put my splashes on a flat surface and there are multiple high and low spots. Does anybody has experience with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Warped/bent hardware and cymbals

I do own a warped splash and a thin china that's a bit ripply along the edge - both can only be detected if they are laid on a flat surface. Apparently thin cymbals are prone to this - I've decided not to worry unless they crack.

I don't have any bent hardware as far as I know, when I mount a 12" tom on a crash stand it does seem to lean inwards slightly but I think this is flexing in the joins of the separate sections and the rivets of the legs (if they didn't have some play they would be too stiff to move). Try rotating the stand to see if the weight of the tom sorts it out. Personally I wouldn't bother doing anything as long as the stand is stable and doesn't show signs of catastrophic failure.

User Info Menu

I have an 80's Sabian 12" splash that I used to use and it is warped from hits. Didn't seem to affect the sound though. These days, I use a 14" Zildjian A fast crash instead of a splash and I do not have this problem with it.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 11-16-2014 at 09:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Sm. splashes are commonly rippled slightly from playing them too hard, or bad technique. Bent stands are not normal. I think Crispy might have hit the nail on the head, with the joints flexing. I hung a lot of toms, and other things off the sides of my stands, and never bent any. However the biggest drum was only a 13. If you're hanging like a 16 or some thing, that might be differant. Personally I think Fl. toms belong on the floor. That's got to be hard on the shell hanging from a stand.

User Info Menu

Well, it depends on what sort of stand it is. If it's a really cheap one it may bend. They certainly will dent up easier from clamps.
    Some thin cymbals will bend and warp, but as long as they aren't cracking, you'll be fine. Just don't hit too hard. They're thin, you don't have to hit as hard to get a full sound.

User Info Menu

I think that most of my cymbals won't lie perfectly flat on a flat surface. I don't mind though.

I don't think that I have any bend cymbal stands, but I do have some that are pitted from people trying to "help" set my drums up.

User Info Menu

I found quite of bit of flex during play on the entry level stands from PDP but nothing yet to indicate a bent shaft from wear.

The roll pins that connect parts of a cymbal stand are always suspect of loosening up and falling out but on this particular model, there are two at the tilter to hold it in place.

PDP CB700 cymbal stand:

Gibraltar SC-4425B-1 cymbal holder:

The Gibraltar SC-4425B-1 on the other hand, uses only one roll pin at the tilter and this one failed after one year of use:

Last edited by late8; 11-17-2014 at 10:27 AM.

User Info Menu

The smallest splash I own is an HHX 7" Evolution and it's paper thin. I use it on very quite music passages. I don't strike it very hard since it's so thin and prone to cracking. I haven't laid it on a level surface to check to see if it's warped but I'm sure it is at some point.

User Info Menu

I have a boom stand with 2 roll pins and it became extremely loose with my ride. I removed them and cut the bent section off, re-drilled the holes, and the stand is like new again!

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I have an 80's Sabian 12" splash that I used to use and it is warped from hits. Didn't seem to affect the sound though. These days, I use a 14" Zildjian A fast crash instead of a splash and I do not have this problem with it.
    I also have a 14" thin crash, but I don't have a single dent on it...thankfully

-Mike

User Info Menu

yeah those damn pins... I have both crash cymbals that move around because the pins are loosening up. I plan on using a hammer and tap to try to fix it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    yeah those damn pins... I have both crash cymbals that move around because the pins are loosening up. I plan on using a hammer and tap to try to fix it.
    I've fixed worn out roll pins by drilling the holes out slightly bigger and installing a larger roll pin. It's pretty simple and easy if you have access to a drill press. If not, you could do it with a hand drill and vice. You'll just have to pay close attention to keep everything lined up.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

great idea just go bigger. I do own a small drill press.

User Info Menu

For loose roll pins...no redrilling or hacking involved. Mix and dab....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    For loose roll pins...no redrilling or hacking involved. Mix and dab....

Great idea! the problem I had was the actual pipe was bending so I had no choice but to cut.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Yeah and also I don't see JB weld as a long term fix.. with all the up and down tear down setup and constant vibration from cymbals being hit it would just break up.

User Info Menu

Oh brother. As if wooden guitar necks isn't bad enouigh, Now I have to worry about steel tube warping?

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have bent quite few cymbals. I do the glancing blow 90% of the time so it is not from head on smashing them. But arising from boredom and a bit of showmanship, I have developed the habit of crashing with an upswing hitting the underside of the cymbal, and often doing a quick over then under double tap, and am thinking this has creating my cymbal bending dilemma.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Yeah and also I don't see JB weld as a long term fix.. with all the up and down tear down setup and constant vibration from cymbals being hit it would just break up.
    I repaired a Tama Stilt over the summer. Roll pins wore out. Fixed with JB Weld and it's been solid. This stand holds my 22" ride which gets laid into pretty good. No problems with the fix so far.

oh and no need to worry if a cymbal bends, just turn it into one of these
    Last edited by slinky; 12-07-2014 at 09:44 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN