Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polishing drums

User Info Menu

Default Polishing drums

I'm wondering if anyone cleans or polishes their drums. And if so, what do you use? I'm really not a fan of having fingerprints on the shells. I even clean my heads! I have a red satin oil finish and want to keep it shining.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Polishing drums

Fender guitar polish, or a nice polishing rag with some elbow grease.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Not sure what is acceptable to use on an oil finish....I would research it before hand.

I clean/polish my drums & cymbals at the start of every gig. I use Pledge multi-surface made for chrome, glass and wood furniture. It works well and really makes 'em shine. My drums are stained and finished in Nitrocellulose based lacquer (refinished myself). Recently, I bought a Dunlop 2 part guitar polish kit (cleaner & polish) made for lacquer guitar finishes. It did an outstanding job on my acoustic guitar, so I tried it on my drums as well. It really makes fingerprints disappear and seems to help reduce the buildup of them to start with. It's the best thing I've found thus far.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I use Eagle1 car polish for my rims once a year. Just a regular rag weekly for prints and dirt.

As for the shells it depends on which kit I'm cleaning. The vinyl wrapped once and clear coated I also just use a pledge dust spray and cloth.

*Also makes the kit smell fresh*

User Info Menu

I use Pledge Multi Surface for dust/finger prints. Wipe with a microfiber cloth.

Oil kit...no idea. But on wraps/lacquers I also use auto products. Mequier's.

User Info Menu

Pledge

User Info Menu

Players Kit Instrument Polish for my Gretsch Autumn Burst Lacquered kit. It can remove fine scratches. For light cleanup - Pledge as well.

Stu

User Info Menu

I use Turtle wax on my wrapped kit's.

User Info Menu

Novus polish...really great.

User Info Menu

Pledge

User Info Menu

The oil finish is basically a clear coat. Thanks for the replies everybody

-Mike

User Info Menu

I use Maguires spray Quick Detailer on my wrapped kits for quick wipe downs. When I really clean them, I use Maguires car wax. On all the chrome, I will use Turtle wax chrome polish. I would feel safe using any of this on your kit also.. But on the shells you may try a good furniture polish.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

My kit is so past due it's ain't even funny!
    Last edited by Ray on the Drums; 11-26-2014 at 07:22 AM.

User Info Menu

i'll run a duster over the kit every now and then, more then to be honest, my cymbals have been cleaned twice in the last 5 years or so.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

For my studio set I use a Swiffer duster more than anything else, and I use a good quality car polish (I like Maguiar's the best) when I do head changes. I also have another set that lives on my back porch---for these I just spray some WD-40 on a rag, and wipe down all the hardware once a week or so, and they stay shiny---cymbals are another story altogether

User Info Menu

Just my 2 cent from my furniture restoration and refinishing work; on fine quality lacquer finishes a cleaner without silicone is always recommended. Pledge contains silicone and will over time leave silicone on the finish. For furniture this means refinishing is almost impossible if the wood has absorbed the silicone. On drums with Catalyzed Lacquer it could be a problem if you wanted to refresh the Lacquer. Silicone doesn't allow penetration and sits on top of the finish. For Acrylic wraps it doesn't matter it's plastic and the silicone just sits on top until the next application. Using car wax or really carnuba wax is fine for most drums or a cream wax. I have a Tama Cherry Fade finish that is lacquer over wood so I stay away from Pledge. We all love the look of those shiny curved surfaces and gleaming chrome tubes, just not so much fun doing all of it over a few evenings or weekend.

User Info Menu

Pledge on my wrapped Pearl Forums (twice in last 18 months), car wax on my lacquered Sonor Jungle and painted 'Frankenstein' bop kit (once), normally I just dust off/wipe down with a soft cloth.

I tend to play my different drum kits in rotation, 2 weeks play, 4 weeks stored as I don't have the space for all 3 kits to remain set up in my home. I inspect and clean them before storage. When I bought them (used) I completely stripped them, thoroughly cleaned everything and oiled all tension bolts, I haven't had to repeat this, so far everything has remained good and just had a wipe down with a soft cloth. Same story with hardware - bought used, stripped; oiled and cleaned when I bought it - redone about 6 months ago. I check it when I change my drums over, so far no rust or nastiness, generally just a wipe with a soft cloth.

User Info Menu

I've Got It! Strap'er down fully set up on a flatbed truck.
    Last edited by Ray on the Drums; 11-27-2014 at 11:15 AM.

User Info Menu

I use Collinite Insulator Wax #845 - Its a very durable wax that was originally designed to be used on high tension electric wire "glass insulators" to keep dirt and other contaminants off the insulators. It goes on easily and it wipes off easily and leaves a deep and long lasting shine that cigarette tar and nicotine and dance floor wax wont stick to...one wipe with a soft cotton cloth will remove it all. They also have a liquid metal wax #850 that keeps your chrome stands and chrome hardware shining brightly...I put one thin coat of it on my cymbals and they dont seem to tarnish near as quickly as they do without it plus if there is a change in the cymbal tone, its way beyond my hearing ability to tell the difference.
    I started using it on my Yamaha Oak Custom kit in 2010 - Pledge doesnt keep the tar and nicotine nor dance floor wax off the stands, hardware nor the drum shells - - Collinite Insulator wax does - at least on "My Drums" - you may have different results -
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    I use Collinite Insulator Wax #845 - Its a very durable wax that was originally designed to be used on high tension electric wire "glass insulators" to keep dirt and other contaminants off the insulators. It goes on easily and it wipes off easily and leaves a deep and long lasting shine that cigarette tar and nicotine and dance floor wax wont stick to...one wipe with a soft cotton cloth will remove it all. They also have a liquid metal wax #850 that keeps your chrome stands and chrome hardware shining brightly...I put one thin coat of it on my cymbals and they dont seem to tarnish near as quickly as they do without it plus if there is a change in the cymbal tone, its way beyond my hearing ability to tell the difference.
    I started using it on my Yamaha Oak Custom kit in 2010 - Pledge doesnt keep the tar and nicotine nor dance floor wax off the stands, hardware nor the drum shells - - Collinite Insulator wax does - at least on "My Drums" - you may have different results -
    Good post.

I purchased these shells new back in 2004. Since then I've put over 500 gigs on them ranging from dingy bars to medium/large size clubs and outdoor festivals/functions with just about everything in between. In addition to the usual wear and tear, this kit has been victimized by the not so occasional occupational hazard which includes, but is not limited to, dust, spilled liquids, and bumps/falls by people, instruments, and flying projectiles.

The picture above was taken two days ago. I will admit that I don't clean as often as I should but when I do, I use Pledge on the shells and WD-40 on the hardware and have been doing so on my natural finish lacquered kits for the past 35 years or so without any issues what-so-ever.

There are probably better alternatives to use for cleaning shells and I plan on looking into the Collinite Insulator Wax #845 suggested by you as well as some of the other suggestions above. I am always looking to learn easier, better, and safer ways of cleaning my gear so that I will be motivated do so more often than I do now.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 11-27-2014 at 02:31 PM.

User Info Menu

One of the nice things about Nebraska now- No Smoking in public places. It really make the bar/club scene more enjoyable to play, as well as being much easier on musical equipment.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    One of the nice things about Nebraska now- No Smoking in public places. It really make the bar/club scene more enjoyable to play, as well as being much easier on musical equipment.
    Most clubs that have a live band put Dance Floor wax down and that stuff gets on "everything" and "inside everything electrical" - one of the bands I work with put the large Central A/C filters in the back of the Rack to keep that stuff out of the PA gear - its worked well.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

furniture polish
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Today I used a bottle of eyeglass cleaner and a microfiber cloth on every drum. Definitely got rid of the fingerprints!

-Mike

User Info Menu

I use Old English furniture polish.