Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rim mounts

User Info Menu

Default Rim mounts

I love rim mounts on my toms simply because there's no holes in the drum and it doesn't choke the resonance. But one thing i've struggled with is tuning. It's very hard to get the lugs all at an even finger tight tension before tuning. For those who have rim mounts, how do you get your head at an even finger tight tension?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rim mounts

I have them on my Pearls. Hate them, but I know what you are talking about.

I turn the tension rods with a key and get them close to where I want them. Then I tap them about 3/4" from the rim with a stick, tighten or loosen them to get the sound even around the drum and don't worry about finger tight.

Just make sure you're lugs are cleaned from whatever, throw a little Vaseline on the tension rod, and you should be good to go.

Don't go getting all crazy about tuning. It's only going to change when you move them anyway. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot, depends on the venue. I always tried to have a consistent sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I love rim mounts on my toms simply because there's no holes in the drum and it doesn't choke the resonance. But one thing i've struggled with is tuning. It's very hard to get the lugs all at an even finger tight tension before tuning. For those who have rim mounts, how do you get your head at an even finger tight tension?
    My RIMS were mounted on the bottom of my bass drum mounted 13" tom on my Canwood kit. That made it easy to tune or replace the batter head. Replacing the reso head was more of a chore, of course.

Is that a possibility?

Best of luck.

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

The problem I have with rims mounts is that they don't allow me to always get my toms as close as I would like. I did try Rich in name only's idea, but it looks kind of funny to me.

I know companies have tried to come up with all these different mounts to increase shell resonance. The problem with them, is that they interfere with the look of the drums.

I still prefer the look of a mount right on the shell. I only have one older kit that has this, but I still think it looks the cleanest. My favourite modern day mount is still the Mapex mount found on my third generation Saturn's. There were no extra holes made to the shell to attach the mount to the drum. They are small, and you can move them to any location you want on the shell. You can make floor toms, rack toms, and visa versa.

User Info Menu

I use em' and tune em' like Rick suggests above.

User Info Menu

I love my Pearl Optimounts. They are so easy to adjust the height and tune the toms. The mount is on the lugs not the shell or the rims.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I love my Pearl Optimounts. They are so easy to adjust the height and tune the toms. The mount is on the lugs not the shell or the rims.
    But they are huge and take up a large portion of the drum. They are definitely a case of function over form.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    But they are huge and take up a large portion of the drum. They are definitely a case of function over form.
    I disagree with this statement...Optimounts are not huge and do not take up a large portion of the drum, whatever that means.... RIMS mounts are huge, and heavy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    RIMS mounts are huge, and heavy.
    I recently swapped out a generic chrome plated steel RIMS mount with a Gauger alloy mount on my 12" mounted tom and I find that it is noticeably lighter than the steel mount ... looks better too ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 11-28-2014 at 12:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I recently swapped out a generic chrome plated steel RIMS mount with a Gauger alloy mount on my 12" mounted tom and I find that it is noticeably lighter than the steel mount ... looks better too ...
    Nice!!! sounds like a much better way to go...1/3 the weight of steel RIMS!

User Info Menu

I disagree with this statement...Optimounts are not huge and do not take up a large portion of the drum, whatever that means.... RIMS mounts are huge, and heavy.
    Well I would put up a pic of one, but I am out in the tractor.

User Info Menu

Well I would put up a pic of one, but I am out in the tractor.
    No need good sir

User Info Menu

I've found I can use my thumb like a drum dial. I place the rim in the crotch of my thumb and press down on the head with the end of my thumb. I can match the tension at each lug pretty darn close by feel, then let my ears take it from there. This seems to help on old shells with less than perfect bearing edges. Sometimes bad edges or shells make getting things in the ballpark difficult to do by ear.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I hold the drum in my lap and keep pressure off best I can to the side I'm tightening with the mount. (if that makes sense)

User Info Menu

Nice!!! sounds like a much better way to go...1/3 the weight of steel RIMS!
    Yes, I must say that I'm quite pleased with the results. I've been eyeballing them for years but kept putting off upgrading because of the added expense. Now I'm glad that I finally bit the bullet and upgraded ... should have done so sooner.

User Info Menu

I don't why you say that. My two toms are 12x9 and 13x6 and I still have allot of room for movement.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 11-28-2014 at 03:43 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

A lot of your major drum makers now are mounting on the lugs/with rubber bushings or washers...... seems to be the new thing these days. I have optimounts on my old slingerland kit and they work out great!
    Last edited by drummerMD; 11-29-2014 at 06:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Optimounts are the reason I love my Sonors...they don't have them!
    Sorry, guys.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

The verdict on the optimount is that some like em and some don't. I guess it personal preference and in my case I had no choice they came on the kit. Still love em
    Herre is a pic of them mounted on my 12-13 toms
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 11-29-2014 at 07:13 AM.

User Info Menu

OptiMounts are huge and IMHO not very pleasing to the eye, but, if you like 'em and you get the sound that you want from your drums then that's all that matters.

User Info Menu

Here is pic of the optimount on stands they don't look so huge.

User Info Menu

Don't want to turn this into a optimount bash. My point was that many companies have sacrificed the look of their drums, for a small amount of resonance. I guess it is up to the individual to decide what is more important to them.

User Info Menu

Optimounts look good to me once set up, they are bulky but this isn't particularly noticeable once set up - and they hold the tom top and bottom which I like. The only Pearl mounts I have a problem with is the RIMS mounts. Not for cosmetic reasons - Clamping them to a small area of the top hoop, dangling the entire weight of the tom from the same small area has got to be bad news for tuning and hoop longevity.
    RIMS mounts are the reason I have ruled out buying a Vision kit. For an intermediate kit they are as good as any others out there IMO - except for those tom mounts - I would prefer the mounting arms to attach directly to the tom. The toms may lose some resonance but I would be more confident of them staying in tune and the hoops not twisting. They are probably ok if you like your toms steeply angled, but if you prefer lower and flatter I bet the hoops dont last long.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Here is pic of the optimount on stands they don't look so huge.
    I personally like the look of the mount. They're adjustable and don't hang on half of the hoop
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike