Thread: help me identify a few used cymbals

User Info Menu

Default help me identify a few used cymbals

Hi Everyone,

I picked up some used cymbals, I was wondering if anyone knew how I could find out their age (because I'm weird that way).

1. 20" Sabian El Sabor cymbal, it's got a lathed (usually they're unlathed) bell. The logo is just barely visible, not that that means anything.

2. 8" Istanbul splash. Since it's signed by both Mehmet and Agop, it must be pre 1997, it's got a sticker on it, saying :hand tested 32280"

3. 14" Zildjian light crash/splash. The guys at the store said it was from the 1950s, all it has is the Zildjian stamp.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Default Re: help me identify a few used cymbals

I'm no help on any one of these cymbals but someone here wil be I'm sure. So ya like'em?

User Info Menu

any photos of them? I have a lot of istanbul cymbals

User Info Menu

I have issues uploading pics here but will try later. Of course I like them! The 8" has great sound, good volume too for that size, the 14" is interesting, kinda smokey almost, and the ride beats my 21" istanbul mel lewis in every way. I practice with an Ekit, so Saturday's gig will be their first test, really looking forward!

Anyone else?
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    I have issues uploading pics here but will try later. Of course I like them! The 8" has great sound, good volume too for that size, the 14" is interesting, kinda smokey almost, and the ride beats my 21" istanbul mel lewis in every way. I practice with an Ekit, so Saturday's gig will be their first test, really looking forward!

Anyone else?
    Of course you do!

User Info Menu

Ihad severe problems posting pics at first.
    I opened a (free) account with photobucket and uploaded to it but still couldn't figure out how to transfer them to this site. I was making a pretty basic mistake. Try this -
    Upload to photobucket, view uploaded picture and click on the (fifth) IMG box. It should highlight briefly and say COPIED.
    Come back to Drumchat, in reply to thread/new thread menu click on the 'insert image' box (it looks like a Yellow square with mountains on the bottom), A box with "please enter the URL of your image" text will appear,
    underneath this in the text box it will say http:// (highlighted in blue), PRESS THE SPACE BAR TO DELETE THIS HIGHLIGHTED TEXT, place cursor in (now blank text box) RIGHT CLICK. A small text box will appear, CLICK on PASTE, then click OK. This will place the appropriate computer jargon in the text box.
    Then click preview post on bottom of reply to thread/new thread menu. Hopefully your picture will appear.
    Photobucket works for me and is free, the pop up ads get on my nerves though. There are other free pic hosting sites and I'm assuming they all work the same way but I'm a computer moron so I haven't tried any others as it took me ages to figure this one out. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I picked up some used cymbals, I was wondering if anyone knew how I could find out their age (because I'm weird that way).

1. 20" Sabian El Sabor cymbal, it's got a lathed (usually they're unlathed) bell. The logo is just barely visible, not that that means anything.

2. 8" Istanbul splash. Since it's signed by both Mehmet and Agop, it must be pre 1997, it's got a sticker on it, saying :hand tested 32280"

3. 14" Zildjian light crash/splash. The guys at the store said it was from the 1950s, all it has is the Zildjian stamp.
    google zildjian logo guide and you can find all the stamp types throughout the years, should help to ID it.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I just have, then remembered my babies are at my guitarist's place!!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

ok thanks to Spatz's genius advice, the 14" thin crash/splash is a 1950s Zildjian as was said to me in the store. Will try to get some pics up soon of the other ones and see what happens...any advice for looking up old Sabians?
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride