Thread: Rusty Intermediate Drummer

User Info Menu

Default Rusty Intermediate Drummer

I haven't been keeping up with my practice as much as I'd like with this being my senior year of high school, learning piano, and owning a used truck that has needed a lot of work. My practice time has gone from minimal to none existent, and it is seriously starting to show; I got together with a couple of friends over the summer and while we were playing I actually dropped the beat 3 times in one song.

My timing is terrible, my limb independence is suffering, and even with a metronome I lose the beat more often than before, I'd consider myself barely an intermediate drummer right now but before I'd call myself a high intermediate if that makes sense to you all. I know that more practice will definitely make all of these things better, but these were weak spots even when I was practicing regularly, so if any of you have any suggestions on what to practice to improve on these areas I would very much appreciate them.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rusty Intermediate Drummer

I'd say practice whatever you want. I think you just need to play more. I think your lost skills will recover quickly, maybe in a week or two once you start playing drums again.
    Last edited by 8beat; 12-05-2014 at 11:50 PM.

User Info Menu

I gotta agree with 8beat. The first thing you need to work on is getting back behind the kit regularly. Everything else will fall into place.

User Info Menu

Yup, the term use it or lose it fits. I'm experiencing the same thing. After 40 years of playing my job has limited my time behind the kit and it shows when I do get time to play. If you want to be good and stay good you have to find the time to get behind your kit.

User Info Menu

Just play. You could have 20 years of playing experience, but if you take a break from playing or loose interest, your playing suffers. It's the nature of the drumming game.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys I appreciate it, I just got really down on myself when I actually listened to how I was playing. I've seen a huge improvement today from yesterday, I just gotta break out the WD-40.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The_Epsicle View Post
    Thanks guys I appreciate it, I just got really down on myself when I actually listened to how I was playing. I've seen a huge improvement today from yesterday, I just gotta break out the WD-40.
    Don't be too hard on yourself. You're a senior in HS and there's so much in your life that's about to change before and after graduation. You got plenty of time to catch up. Enjoy your senior year and keep it fun. Good luck to you and happy graduation.

User Info Menu

And it sounds like you got too much on your mind. You need to clear your head take a deep breath and relax and have fun.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

one exercise that has really improved my timing is this:

choose a pattern you know really well. I use 16th note single paradiddle with the quarter note going to a tom, so the first hit is RH on the LT, the 5th hit (i.e. beat 2) is LH HT. All other notes you play in the snare. RF and LF also hit on the quater notes

Set your metronome is a very slow speed, something like 25-30 bmp, clicking on 16th notes. Play the pattern that way. Make sure you count it as 16th notes. After sometime, double the speed (so now you'll be playing 50-60bpm), still counting as 16th notes. Then, double it again (100-120) still counting at 16th notes. Now the metronome will be clicking off 1/4 notes.

10min of this per day will do wonders in 1-2 weeks. The key here is not to worry about speed, but accuracy, so I i play it at 28bpm.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    single paradiddle with the quarter note going to a tom, so the first hit is RH on the LT, the 5th hit (i.e. beat 2) is LH HT. All other notes you play in the snare. RF and LF also hit on the quater notes
    Thanks for mentioning this. I've been enjoying and playing it for the past hour.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Thanks for mentioning this. I've been enjoying and playing it for the past hour.
    glad you like it the pattern is up to you, let me know how it goes
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I've been at the "barely intermediate" for about 20 years, LOL.
    You're still in High School.....you have a lot of life experiences and other priorities in your immediate future. I'm not saying that drumming isn't important, but unless you're planning on making a living as a drummer, do what you need to get your life started on the right track. If drumming needs to take a back seat, then so be it.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    one exercise that has really improved my timing is this:

choose a pattern you know really well. I use 16th note single paradiddle with the quarter note going to a tom, so the first hit is RH on the LT, the 5th hit (i.e. beat 2) is LH HT. All other notes you play in the snare. RF and LF also hit on the quater notes

Set your metronome is a very slow speed, something like 25-30 bmp, clicking on 16th notes. Play the pattern that way. Make sure you count it as 16th notes. After sometime, double the speed (so now you'll be playing 50-60bpm), still counting as 16th notes. Then, double it again (100-120) still counting at 16th notes. Now the metronome will be clicking off 1/4 notes.

10min of this per day will do wonders in 1-2 weeks. The key here is not to worry about speed, but accuracy, so I i play it at 28bpm.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot next time I practice.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I've been at the "barely intermediate" for about 20 years, LOL.
    You're still in High School.....you have a lot of life experiences and other priorities in your immediate future. I'm not saying that drumming isn't important, but unless you're planning on making a living as a drummer, do what you need to get your life started on the right track. If drumming needs to take a back seat, then so be it.
    I appreciate this N2, my drumming has taken a back seat for about 3 or 4 months. Now that my college prep is finished I have some time to practice, and I'm focusing my efforts on improving my timing, accenting, and limb independence.

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Don't be too hard on yourself. You're a senior in HS and there's so much in your life that's about to change before and after graduation. You got plenty of time to catch up. Enjoy your senior year and keep it fun. Good luck to you and happy graduation.
    Thank you, it's been stressful this year because I'm taking extra courses so I'll graduate on time, I had Lyme disease my Freshman year(the presumed cause of my Tinnitus and hearing loss) and missed the entire second semester because it's uncommon for my area and my doctor didn't catch it fast enough, I wasnt strong enough by the summer to go to summer school(I was 5'11" and 110lbs., pre-lyme I was 140lbs.) so I decided to overload my senior year, looking back I wish I had gone to summer school.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

I find that the smallest little practice session is better than none. Even if I only play for 5-15 minutes on any given day, I feel like I am maintaining those neuromuscular pathways and engaging the special "drumming" parts of the brain.
    So don't fret my young friend. Improvement will come with time on the kit. No matter if it's only a few minutes before you head out for class or whatever. Let that be your source of "me" time and head clearing, as a couple of other guys have said already. Drumming is just as mental as it is physical. When you immerse yourself in freely playing, it becomes therapeutic to both body and mind, and soul for that matter.
    You're are still a young man. Our collective hindsight, us older DC posters, can be of more value than just for technique. One of the things I love about this site.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Mount some pads on the dash of your tractor, you can practice stick control while you plant your potatoes.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Mount some pads on the dash of your tractor, you can practice stick control while you plant your potatoes.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The_Epsicle View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot next time I practice.

I appreciate this N2, my drumming has taken a back seat for about 3 or 4 months. Now that my college prep is finished I have some time to practice, and I'm focusing my efforts on improving my timing, accenting, and limb independence.

Thank you, it's been stressful this year because I'm taking extra courses so I'll graduate on time, I had Lyme disease my Freshman year(the presumed cause of my Tinnitus and hearing loss) and missed the entire second semester because it's uncommon for my area and my doctor didn't catch it fast enough, I wasnt strong enough by the summer to go to summer school(I was 5'11" and 110lbs., pre-lyme I was 140lbs.) so I decided to overload my senior year, looking back I wish I had gone to summer school.
    Wow...you're a pretty tough guy. Looking back, yeah maybe summer school would of helped but that's "here nor there" as they say. You've recovered, now time to look forward....

User Info Menu

Epsicle, First and most important of all - Go easy on yourself! Drumming is meant to be fun!

Try this: Re-setup your kit. Honestly, go bass drum + snare + hats only! And play straight forward 4/4 beats and other things you know you can handle.

It's amazing when you strip down your kit to the bones how much of the fundamentals you can re-enforce.