Thread: Drum kit for 5 year old

User Info Menu

Default Drum kit for 5 year old

Hi,

I'm in need of some advice. My 5-year-old son just started showing interest in drumming and has been getting lessons. We're at the point where he needs to practice more at home and doing it on pillows, etc. is not working out. I'm not sure if this will be a lifelong love or just a temporary one, so we're looking for a drum set that isn't too expensive but will give him what he needs to practice and progress. Any advice out there as to what to buy? We'd love to have something in time for Christmas.

Thanks so much!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum kit for 5 year old

We got my then 3 year old grandson one of these.

He's 7 now and will only play my "big boy" kits.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Junior drum kit. Some of them are pretty good. They might cost about USA $ 75. You might find one in good shape on craigslist.org.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

Kawasaki as in the motorcycles?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Not sure how much you are planning to spend, but you could look at used low end kits by all the major brands or look at the ?love kit by Ludwig.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamashane View Post
    Not sure how much you are planning to spend, but you could look at used low end kits by all the major brands or look at the ?love kit by Ludwig.
    Thank you. We're looking to stay under $200 for right now. I'll take a look at the one you mentioned to see if that budget it possible. Thanks so much!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Junior drum kit. Some of them are pretty good. They might cost about USA $ 75. You might find one in good shape on craigslist.org.
    Thank you. The only thing I'm worried about with the junior kits are that I've heard depending on which ones you get, they sound like a toy and also I'm worried he will outgrow them quickly. Right now he's 47" tall and I'm not sure how much longer those will be good for... but I can still look. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

Forgive my ignorance (I know nothing about drums), but is this a junior set or a standard one? That's part of the thing I'm worried about too--my son is playing on a "real" set for lessons so to take him down to a junior, I'm not sure it it will be a similar experience. Thanks for your reply!

User Info Menu

Sound Percusion and Pulse both make JR kits that are built to full size kit quality and are affordable. Right now they should be easy to find on sale. When the kid grows to big, just add a bass drum riser, full size pedal and snare, and you got a "jungle" kit.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'd buy him a full size adult kit, they do make them for less than $200 and you can find some decent used ones that aren't total junk on Craigslist. That would probably work for him for a few years, I personally would avoid jr. kits like the plague I have yet to see one that was worth $75.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The_Epsicle View Post
    I'd buy him a full size adult kit, they do make them for less than $200 and you can find some decent used ones that aren't total junk on Craigslist. That would probably work for him for a few years, I personally would avoid jr. kits like the plague I have yet to see one that was worth $75.
    Not sure I agree. It's better for a beginner to have something to aspire to. I started with the real "toy" drums. You know the ones with cardboard heads and a big cartoon on the front head and cymbals like juice can lids. I loved them all the same and they gave me something to look forward to. Over 40 years later, I'm still playing.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HippyChik View Post
    Thank you. We're looking to stay under $200 for right now. I'll take a look at the one you mentioned to see if that budget it possible. Thanks so much!
    For what you're looking for, it's hard to get anything good for under $200 unless used. Drum Bum, (the owners of this site) has something close:

http://store.drumbum.com/skuDS-41.html

The cymbals probably won't be great as they always cut corners on those on the junior drumkits but cymbals are easy to buy separately at a later date and usually preferable anyway. Otherwise, this is a good kit for a junior set, especially for a 5 year old.