Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitting High or Low

User Info Menu

Default Sitting High or Low

I've seen many drummers sit low, and many drummers sit high. I've tried sitting low and can't get the right feel. I sit high because I like to feel "above" my drums. I like the feel for heel up playing too. i'm 6'3 so it's quite high.I see advantages to sitting low, like playing heel down with control. How do you guys sit?
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 12-13-2014 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Ii
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sitting High or Low

I sit with my thighs slightly higher than my knees. It's almost as low as most thrones go. I'm only 5'6 though, so it's not really very low. I play mostly heal up, some continuous release, and heel toe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I sit with my thighs slightly higher than my knees. It's almost as low as most thrones go. I'm only 5'6 though, so it's not really very low. I play mostly heal up, some continuous release, and heel toe.
    Another reason I liked sitting low was heel toe. Played a lot of it earlier on.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I can't sit high. If I am above my snare drum, I find myself hitting my legs when I go to hit rim shots. I sit pretty much with my knees at a 90 degree angle and the snare slightly higher.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    I can't sit high. If I am above my snare drum, I find myself hitting my legs when I go to hit rim shots. I sit pretty much with my knees at a 90 degree angle and the snare slightly higher.
    I play nothing but rim shots, and I have to agree about hitting my leg. I actually tilt my snare towards my toms. Almost like the old traditional angle. You can really follow through with a hit if that makes any sense.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I sit high enough that I don't hit my leg. That's a little above 90 degrees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spatzst View Post
    i can't sit high. If i am above my snare drum, i find myself hitting my legs when i go to hit rim shots. I sit pretty much with my knees at a 90 degree angle and the snare slightly higher.
    +1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    +1
    +1

User Info Menu

What a great question...I'm 6'2" and like to sit high as well but one problem I've always had was hitting the tops of my legs. I also like my floor tom(s) to be on the high side but sometimes the legs just don't go high enough

User Info Menu

heres a good article on proper seat height, i tend to sit a lil low
    http://www.drummagazine.com/features...tuning-basics/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    What a great question...I'm 6'2" and like to sit high as well but one problem I've always had was hitting the tops of my legs. I also like my floor tom(s) to be on the high side but sometimes the legs just don't go high enough
    Same issue here.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Sorta mid way for me.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I don't sit super high, but I'm definitely between middle/max for my seat. I can't sit low to save my life. I feel like I'm not in control of my drums but my drums dominate me when I sit on the ground.

User Info Menu

I sit with my thighs parallel to the floor. I have tried sitting higher, but that just did not feel right. By the way, I am 6'1".
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

I used to sit low, thighs parallel to the floor. Gave that up. Sit as high as the throne will allow now.

User Info Menu

My seat is at 27". I like to sit high with the legs at about 20 degrees from horizontal. I feel like I have no weight on my right (pedal) foot.

As for tom legs, there are a couple of companies that make longer tom legs. I bought them several years ago and they are about 2 1/2" to3" longer than my "stock" 1's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cc1918 View Post
    heres a good article on proper seat height, i tend to sit a lil low
    http://www.drummagazine.com/features...tuning-basics/
    Great article, I've seen many question asked here through the years answered right there, I'd say I'm fig 3 I used to sit a bit lower but I've really flattened my Tom angles so I've raised my throne slightly.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Low to medium for me. I've tried sitting higher, and it just made me want to raise everything up higher to match, which seemed pointless.

User Info Menu

My throne is at the maximum height and I'm 6'1". My toms and my snare are flat but low, my cymbals are angled slightly but they match up with the tops of my toms so I can see over my set in any direction, don't know why but it just feels natural to me.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Here is my fix for short floor tom legs. http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...7.html?t=32517

User Info Menu

I can't play with throne set to a low position - it sounds ridiculous bit I'm mildly claustrophobic and it makes me feel boxed in and uncomfortable. I tried a low setting out of curiosity when I was still constantly adjusting everything to find my ideal set up - I kept hitting tom hoops and it seemed like I was using way too much energy lifting my legs for the pedals. Out of curiosity I sat in my favourite armchair (lower than the throne) with the bass (minus toms) and kick pedal set up in front of me - I had no problems so obviously this 'I'm using too much energy' feeling I had was a crock.

I like playing my Sonor Jungle kit (even though I don't like the 16" bass drum much) because its so 'open' feeling. When I play the Sonor for a few weeks and change over to my Pearl (12,13,16,22 with deep toms) the claustrophobic feeling is back again - luckily it passes after the first 10 minutes or so.

I'm a mid - slightly higher setting guy. When I play the Sonor I lower the throne to mid setting - slightly higher for the Pearl.

User Info Menu

For you taller drummers, do you find that many thrones don't go as high as you wish? I'm 6'2" and always bring my thrown if I'm using a house kit or another band's kit because the cheaper thrones tend not to go very high

User Info Menu

For you taller drummers, do you find that many thrones don't go as high as you wish? I'm 6'2" and always bring my thrown if I'm using a house kit or another band's kit because the cheaper thrones tend not to go very high
    Absolutely, if I could set my throne higher I would.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

I don't understand how throne height causes anyone to hit their legs. Just raise the snare.

User Info Menu

Yes. That's the reason I started out using an office chair with hydraulic lift. It worked great, but was not feasible to carry out on gigs. I then bought a folding bar stool and attached a padded throne seat to the top. It was about 31" high, stable and pretty light weight. Last month I bought a new Gibraltar throne.....it was on sale and adjusts to 28" max. So far it's working, but sad to say, I wish it was still higher.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham