Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sitting High or Low

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sitting High or Low

My waist is slightly higher than my knees, and I'm 6' tall. This will mean that it's short of some and tall for some.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    I don't understand how throne height causes anyone to hit their legs. Just raise the snare.
    If I raise my snare too high, I have a tendency to hit the rim not the head. I suppose it's just a matter of getting used to it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    I can't sit high. If I am above my snare drum, I find myself hitting my legs when I go to hit rim shots. I sit pretty much with my knees at a 90 degree angle and the snare slightly higher.
    ^ This for me too....

User Info Menu

For years I sat quite high above my kit, but within the last 2 years I have changed to sitting lower down. Not so low that my knees rub my chin every time I play the bass drum, but I do feel more comfortable down a little lower than before. I find my legs aren't as tense that way, and I can relax more which means my playing tends to feel and sound better too.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

I prefer sitting on the high side. Ever see early pictures of Ringo? - kinda like that. Like some others who have posted, I tilt the snare a bit towards the hi tom so I can do rim shots without smacking my leg (I use traditional grip).

User Info Menu

For a long time, I was sitting pretty low, with my thighs pretty close to parallel to the ground. I'm short, (5'5", on a good day) and my throne was just about bottomed out. I found I was having issues with bringing my snare hand up to the the 12" tom quickly and cleanly though. I was constantly hitting the rim of the tom instead of the head. So just a couple days ago, I raised my throne up about 1.5 inches. That seemed to help a lot, and it makes the rest of the kit more comfortable as well. Of course, I had to raise my floor toms up a little bit to match.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"