Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thrones

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thrones

After sitting on a Ludwig Port-o-stool for 40 years, I finally got a Roc'n'Soc about 5 years ago. I love it! Now I have two of them.

User Info Menu

I have a gibraltar tractor style with a backrest and love it. Don't know the model or anything. I love Gibraltar's stuff. So well made. I sometimes wonder what their drums would sound like (if they made them)
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

For the first 10-12 years, I played on the absolute worst, cheapest Gibraltar throne known to mankind. It hurt so badly after about 20 minutes, but I would suffer through long gigs with it. I never made enough money to upgrade (I did upgrade the base, but never the padded portion). My wife knowing this, special ordered this drum throne for me the first Christmas we were married. It's a Pork Pie tractor seat with purple sparkle on the sides and leopard print top. Then, she ordered a roc-n-soc backrest, sent it to Pork Pie, had them cover it in MATCHING material so it would match the rest of the seat. They also mounted the backrest for me. It's only one of three that Pork Pie did. I love it, and it means the world to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    For the first 10-12 years, I played on the absolute worst, cheapest Gibraltar throne known to mankind. It hurt so badly after about 20 minutes, but I would suffer through long gigs with it. I never made enough money to upgrade (I did upgrade the base, but never the padded portion). My wife knowing this, special ordered this drum throne for me the first Christmas we were married. It's a Pork Pie tractor seat with purple sparkle on the sides and leopard print top. Then, she ordered a roc-n-soc backrest, sent it to Pork Pie, had them cover it in MATCHING material so it would match the rest of the seat. They also mounted the backrest for me. It's only one of three that Pork Pie did. I love it, and it means the world to me.

Wow, that looks great, and comfy!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Roc-n-Soc Nitro with backrest. Love it. In fact I use one at school to sit in the front of the room as well.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I have a roc n doc with a backrest. Took the backrest off, don't like it. There are 3 areas I'll never skimp on when it comes to drums.
    1. Throne this has to be top of the line, you will be spending a lot of time there, best be comfortable.
    2. Snare drum. Again this piece of equipment is getting used a lot , don't cheap out.
    3. This one used to be kick pedal. But these days you can get a good durable pedal for under $100.00 so I've changed it to heads. Get good heads, the sound of your kit means everything. If the kit sounds great you will play better.

User Info Menu

Forgot one....... a cup holder for your drinks etc. Also a fan for those hot stages.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I have a roc n doc with a backrest. Took the backrest off, don't like it. There are 3 areas I'll never skimp on when it comes to drums.
    1. Throne this has to be top of the line, you will be spending a lot of time there, best be comfortable.
    2. Snare drum. Again this piece of equipment is getting used a lot , don't cheap out.
    3. This one used to be kick pedal. But these days you can get a good durable pedal for under $100.00 so I've changed it to heads. Get good heads, the sound of your kit means everything. If the kit sounds great you will play better.
    Re: snares. I Used A $60 used Tama steel snare that outperformed a Supra and several other high dollar drums. So I would say that a good drum can still be a cheap drum (inexpensive, that is).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Re: snares. I Used A $60 used Tama steel snare that outperformed a Supra and several other high dollar drums. So I would say that a good drum can still be a cheap drum (inexpensive, that is).
    I agree, a cheap metal drum with an internal muffler is just as good as a supra imo. So much so that I sold my Supra not long ago.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I bought a RnS Nitro a few years ago. Best purchase I ever made.

User Info Menu

Tama 1st chair cloth top bicycle seat....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by metallitroy View Post
    I have a gibraltar tractor style with a backrest and love it. Don't know the model or anything. I love Gibraltar's stuff. So well made. I sometimes wonder what their drums would sound like (if they made them)
    Actually, they did. Gibraltar, of course, was owned by Kaman Music. They made a line of drums called "Legend," all maple with beautiful finishes and great hardware. And they were a truly professional looking and sounding kit- with prices to match. They were offered for only a few years (3?) before being discontinued. You can still find them on ebay every once in a while. I would have loved to have owned a set.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I use a Gibraltar with a back rest, but I need a second throne for my other set up. I know someone selling a non nitro roc n soc . Should I get it?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

A pdp 700 series round throne. But wait, bonus feature - it's broken!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carbohydrate kid View Post
    I use a Gibraltar with a back rest, but I need a second throne for my other set up. I know someone selling a non nitro roc n soc . Should I get it?
    Yes....quick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    A pdp 700 series round throne. But wait, bonus feature - it's broken!
    The seat of my old throne was snapped in half. Half of the seat was just hanging by the padding.

-Mike

User Info Menu

What a coincidence, that's what happened to mine! Although a different part of the throne, some part of the post that screws into the clamp by the seat itself. Held up for awhile though, just not as long as i'd have liked. At $20 though, I can't really complain too much. Next time i'll make a more long term investment and spend a bit more for something I won't go through in under a year.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    What a coincidence, that's what happened to mine! Although a different part of the throne, some part of the post that screws into the clamp by the seat itself. Held up for awhile though, just not as long as i'd have liked. At $20 though, I can't really complain too much. Next time i'll make a more long term investment and spend a bit more for something I won't go through in under a year.
    Russ, if you've never had a really nice thrown I'd recommend springing for one. You've read it here...it's the best investment you'll make. Get to a shop and sit on a few. Find one you like. It's money well spent.

User Info Menu

Roc-N-Soc Nitro with the backrest. Hands down the best money I have ever spent on my drum habit. I wish the rubber feet would last longer, but the rest of it has been fantastic. My back thanked my wallet profusely.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Russ, if you've never had a really nice thrown I'd recommend springing for one. You've read it here...it's the best investment you'll make. Get to a shop and sit on a few. Find one you like. It's money well spent.
    Going from sitting on a snapped piece of wood to a high end thrown was like night and day. My back doesn't hurt every 5 minutes I play now.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Roc-n-Soc with back rest.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

I took late 8s advice and bought the rock and soc. I'm glad I did.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax