Thread: Advice on drum room.

User Info Menu

Default Advice on drum room.

Ok my drum room is 10'4"x9'5" which is small. I have acoustic panels up on my south wall and the window is on my west wall. What if I moved my drums facing away from the south wall which my drums would be facing south to north. I also have acoustic panels around my window on the west wall. No panels on the north or east walls. Would the sound be heard more or less?
    I have a gretsch catlina maple kit with a 22" bass drum and 4 cymbal stands. My drums are facing away from my east wall. So going from north to south is 9'x5" and east to west is 10'x4". Another option I have been looking into is a smaller drum kit and maybe selling the gretsch set.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Advice on drum room.

I moved my kit from a bedroom with carpet and drapes to a room with neither............wow, what a difference.

If you like the way your drums sound, don't change anything.
    Otherwise, rugs and curtains help a lot.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy79 View Post
    Would the sound be heard more or less?
    More.

Gregg you don't mention anything about panels in the corners of the room which in your case could help eliminate some phase cancellation issues. Try moving your kit out from any corner. Do you live in an apartment or own your own home?

Bass trap usually look like this.

If you don't have the resources or the skills to make your own bass traps, go simple:

Here is an example of some acoustic treatments in a small room. The key to finding was suits your needs is to experiment. Every environment is different and there is no clear cut rule to insulate a music room.

User Info Menu

I have a student and I helped his parents put up some thick black curtains on the wall and OH MY what a difference. They bought movie theater style big thick black velvet curtains. Unbelievable the difference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I have a student and I helped his parents put up some thick black curtains on the wall and OH MY what a difference. They bought movie theater style big thick black velvet curtains. Unbelievable the difference.
    I know a soundman that swears by the following simple formula............

Behind the drummer, hang the big thick black curtains.
    The in front of the drummer, put up a plexiglass drum-shield.

Your drum-mic and sound reinforcement problems will be minimized.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    That must of cost a pretty penny? I've looked for old black theater curtains on my local CL but always come up empty. I'd love to have some hanging behind me in my garage.

User Info Menu

I picked up some full length lined black-out curtains from a thrift store for $13. They made a huge different in a cinder block basement

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

Yeah, the old heavy theater curtains w/asbestos.....hey.at least it would fire resistant.LOL

User Info Menu

Heavy cotton painters' drop cloths work very well---15 x 20 will run you about $25---gives you 2 10 foot walls double thickness if you fold them lengthwise---my room is 9x11, and i have my kit in the corner (outside walls of the house with large windows covered with acoustic foam) opposite the door with the curtains behind me. The door is also covered with acoustic foam---my drums sound great, and I don't piss off the neighbors or my wife!

User Info Menu

I too had trouble finding & financing ways to soundproof my drum room. I found 3/4 inch 4x8 thick rubber mats for sale at $15 on craigslist, (rubber mats for like cows to lay on). I got 4 of them I placed a carpet over that and put my drums on them and it minimized the shaking of the entire house when I blast my double pedal. I used acoustic panels and some acoustic ceiling tile around the room to trap the sound in.

User Info Menu

My drum lesson room is a little bigger than 10X10 carpeted room. But it was LOUD. I put curtains around the front two walls, and a big foam pad above attached to the ceiling. Makes a huge difference! Especially the ceiling pad.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Yeah many years ago I swapped from carpet to veneer flooring and it was the worst acoustic decision ever but the carpet was awful and needed to go. Should have just recarpeted. . . <--- new word!

User Info Menu

We get away with cheap sponge packing panels hung in sections on the walls and ceilings at my buddy's home recording studio:

User Info Menu

My Mum sews a lot and she made and painted our band backdrop, it's about 12 feet square and we have it hanging on the band room wall. It's not even that thick but it makes a difference.
    We notice when it's not up .
    Bridie