Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DW Buy's a bunch

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Buy's a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Seems like everyone here is a little naive about business. All Gretsch drums except for their custom line are already made in Taiwan and their custom kits use Keller shells. The other thing that you guys are doing is assuming that the "evil bastards" at DW are plotting to raise the price of everything. Did we all just read the same article. DW didn't buy these companies piecemeal. They bought all of them together, FROM FENDER! Why isn't Fender the evil company. Why isn't DW's other brand, PDP, completely "overpriced". Bias, when it gets to a certain level, stops being merely annoying and starts to become blatantly false. Chances are, with DW being a bigger and more financially solvent company than Fender, the quality and service of these brands will go up and cost down.
    Careful with the blanket statements Sun-e!

User Info Menu

I think that this is exciting news, I like and own USA made kits from both companies.

I am going to refer to new Gretsch drums as DWetsch drums though, just because it amuses me.

-Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Not convinced

I'll bet the Gibson guy was saying all the same stuff as Lombardi was in that video as he was taking over Slingerland.

Same with the folks that took over Rogers, Leedy, Camco, Fibes and the rest...

Just sayin'

all the best...

User Info Menu

Well working at a local music store... we are highly effected by this now. I can no longer order parts out of the Kaman book until we recontract with DW now... It is a giant pain and for a month or so according to the owner, I won't be able to order gibraltar parts or sabian parts and some other misc until we it's all resolved.

User Info Menu

The only stuff I use that was mentioned is LP, Gibraltar and Percussion Plus. Those three were fine on thier own. At least two of them. I'm not totally impressed with the DW brand personally
    Last edited by slinky; 01-19-2015 at 03:37 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

So, to everyone saying DW wouldn't raise the LP, Gibraltar, etc prices...they just did. Glad I bought all the LP stuff I planned on getting before this because some of the prices are now laughably high (as are most DW prices).

My advice: if you need something, and there's a site with the lower pricing, BUY WHAT YOU NEED NOW.

User Info Menu

Examples of this price hike?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

LP008 Ridge Rider Cowbell went from $42.99 to $79.99...lol
    Quite a few of the major sites have the prices updated. Some are only $5 or so more so not too bad, but many are pretty drastic increases.

User Info Menu

Verified the price hike with my local indie mom and pop music store. They are working off of a new catalog. So far they see an increase in the small stuff but expect to see an across the board price hike on everything in the coming year.

User Info Menu

To raise prices just when the buying public is recovering from the toughest economic downturn since the Great Depression seems a bit abusive.

Does it really cost a company more than $49 to make a cowbell ?

When they raise prices on USA and Collectors, the effect will be greater sales of the kits made overseas..............those are getting better and better.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I noted the problems when the sale was announced---trying to get some percussion and other accessories at my local brick and mortar (they always take care of me---but on that one, they were having difficulty with new arrangements and the resulting chaos). I haven't bought anything recently, but that "expensive cowbell" approach is certainly worrisome. I will check this weekend to see how it affects relevant equipment at my local shop.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)