Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DW Buy's a bunch

User Info Menu

Default DW Buy's a bunch

Hope I deleted all the links.

DRUM! Magazine

We just received some huge breaking news about Drum Workshop! Rather than paraphrase it, here's the company's official press release in full:

For Immediate Release

DW® AQUIRES AMERICAN PERCUSSION BRANDS FROM FENDER®

Drum Workshop, Inc. and Fender Musical Instruments have finalized an asset sale agreement to purchase owned and licensed percussion brands including Latin Percussion®, Toca® Percussion, Gretsch® Drums, Gibraltar Hardware and KAT® Percussion from Fender’s KMC subsidiary. Ovation® Guitars, and exclusive U.S. distribution rights for Sabian® Cymbals are also included in the transaction.

“This is an amazing opportunity to extend our passion and commitment for the art of drumming,” said Chris Lombardi, President and CEO of Drum Workshop, Inc. We’re excited to welcome these legendary American brands to the DW family.”

Founded in 1972, the family owned and operated manufacturing company also boasts the award-winning DW Drums brand, as well as Pacific Drums and Percussion® (PDP). Details of the purchase are forthcoming, however it has been announced that DW Drums manufacturing operations will remain in California, Gretsch drum production will continue in South Carolina and LP’s offices will stay in New Jersey.

"We are extremely proud of our team's effort to nurture and grow each of the individual brands and are enthusiastic for their future,” said FMIC’s interim CEO and board member Scott Gilbertson. “We recognize the strategic opportunity for DW and are confident that they will be champions of the brands moving forward."

“It promises to be a very exciting year”, continued Lombardi. My father (DW Founder, Don Lombardi) and I are whole-heartedly dedicated to these already well-established brands and see a bright future ahead for the entire drum industry.”

About Drum Workshop, Inc.: Drum Workshop, Inc. is a family-owned American manufacturer of professional drums, pedals and hardware. Many of the world's top professionals, such as Sheila E., Mick Fleetwood, Neil Peart, Max Weinberg and Dave Grohl have made the DW brand "The Drummer's Choice." Drum Workshop is also home to Pacific Drums and Percussion, a full line of production drum and hardware products.

About Fender Musical Instruments Corporation: Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC) is one of the world’s leading musical instrument manufacturers, marketers and distributors, whose portfolio of brands includes Fender®, Squier®, Gretsch®, Jackson®, EVH® and Charvel® among others.

About KMC Music, Inc.: KMC Music is a subsidiary of FMIC and one of the largest independent U.S. distributors of musical instruments and accessories, and is a leading wholesaler of musical instruments, accessories and lighting equipment.
    Other brands named in the acquisition are Percussion Plus®, CB® Drums and CB® Educational and Adamas® Strings. Financial and other terms of the deal are undisclosed.
    Last edited by PopsOldSkins; 01-06-2015 at 04:25 PM.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Buy's a bunch

Something tells me the price of Gretsch, Gibraltar and Sabian is about to go up....
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Or are they going to be like Gibson and shut some of them down
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Any guesses on why Fender unloaded them?

User Info Menu

Ok, the "official" statement that DW released stated, For more information, visit dwdrums website(i'm not posting the link to dw) When I go to DW's site, there's nothing about it, unless I'm blind as a bat!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Well KMC has been pretty incompetent , which is why my favourite music store dropped them, and all the brands they carry. Gretsch USA's quality has been not the greatest the last little while, so maybe DW can help get them straightened out.

I could see them getting rid of Gibraltor, and re branding some of it with DW naming. Which wouldn't bother me, because I am not a Gibraltor fan.

Considering DW seems to have a pretty high concern towards quality, it is probably a great move for most of these companies that will be under their umbrella now.

User Info Menu

I hope they don't get rid of Gibraltar, because the competition that exists between DW and them makes all the hardware better.
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

And Gibraltar's stuff has been getting better and better in recent years.

User Info Menu

I wonder if prices will be higher now on Gibralter hardware, Gretsch drums, etc.?
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Glad I don't rely on any of those brands.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Wow...considering I'm planning to soon place an order for a big Collectors kit, I hope this news doesn't the DW workforce... At least they won't be transferring any drum manufacturing to Oxnard (a good thing!)
    Last edited by cabasner; 01-06-2015 at 06:46 PM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I hope the Gretsch legacy gets a boost from this move.
    I have been disappointed in the whole KMC affiliation............it sucked.

I have long had the opinion that DW took the Gretsch construction platform when they entered the market.............many people at this board have disagreed but lets face it............start with a multi-ply American maple hardwood shell and you will likely wind up with a good product.
    Everyone else has done it too.
    Perhaps DW has found ways to improve the product or provide options........they are clearly an impressive supplier.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Well this is certainly interesting... I have been disappointed with Latin Percussion products recently, I had a brand new Cajon from them break the first time I used it a couple months ago, they had let a Cajon with a considerably thinner and weaker Tappa get through their quality inspection. Not sure about Toca as I have only ever used a low end Djembe from them which seemed to work alright.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

My guess is this is the end of Gretsch. They don't need two drum lines that compete for the same customer.

User Info Menu

Wow! A lot of great brands being consolidated under one.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    My guess is this is the end of Gretsch. They don't need two drum lines that compete for the same customer.
    From what people in the business are saying, I don't see it happening. The truth is that Gretsch and DW only compete at certain price points (Gretsch has a LOT more mid range stuff), and if both lines continue to be manufactured the same way, in the same factories, etc... people are going to stay brand loyal.

If DW dropped Gretsch, those prior Gretsch loyal customers wouldn't spend their $ on DW, believe me. Not only are they pretty well entrenched camps, the Gretsch folks would feel betrayed and look for another brand (Ludwig maybe).
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    No way...Gretsch is one of the oldest drum companies in America. They can't just throw away the brand like it's no big deal.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I own Gretch USA and DW Collector Series kits, although they are both expensive kits, I do not see them as direct competitors. I would expect that the DW Jazz series could go away since they are VERY similar to the Gretsch USAs.

Another thing to consider. Although Gretsch drums are assembled in South Carolina, they currently use Keller shells made to their specs. DW makes their own shells. (Which is something that I admire about them by the way.) I could see DW sourcing the shells for Gretsch USA production, it would make sense.

Where Gretsch seems to have an advantage is in the mid and low price lines. Gretsch Catalina and Renown have a lot better name recognition than PDP in my opinion.

This is all pure speculation on my part.

This will be fun to watch.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Bad news, get ready for ridiclous price increases . I'm going on to musicians friend right now an ordering tons of extra rack parts and cymbal arms before it's too late.

User Info Menu

Get ready to see Gretsch go the way of Rogers and Slingerland.
    I could see them keeping Gibraltar going as a cheaper line, but I bet they will really streamline it.

Too bad both companies make great products.

Ill be interested how DW controlling the only North American manufactuer of hand hammered cymbals and endorsenebts go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Bad news, get ready for ridiclous price increases . I'm going on to musicians friend right now an ordering tons of extra rack parts and cymbal arms before it's too late.
    Sounds like a great excuse. I'll join you. Hate for a man to spend money, alone.

Tex

User Info Menu

I doubt anything at all will change from a consumers standpoint. It's not like the badges are gonna read Gretsch by DW or anything. Most people probably wont even know that DW bought them out. Gretsch will still be Gretsch ridiculous tom mounts and all.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

wow this is serious..... I love all my gibraltar equipment and I get it so much cheaper than DW.. now I fear of pricing

User Info Menu

I can't really see Gretsch USA Customs getting any more expensive than they already are. That said, I don't necessarily think these companies' products will become more expensive, because that's only one possibility. Instead what I think might happen, is they will all become brother/sister companies like PDP and take a slight hit in quality but have price drops to hook a much larger customer base. I mean, if you can get the profits from these other major companies, your that much richer - so a price hike isn't the way i'd go about it. They might even start using less costly labor and materials, move production to factories in China so they can keep prices low.
    Last edited by Russ; 01-07-2015 at 09:14 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

DW has the drum world on lock down now... a drum Monopoly soon lol luckily there are plenty of independents I'll need to start trying more of those out