Thread: Reaction to dw's aquisition of Kaman Music? True?

User Info Menu

Default Reaction to dw's aquisition of Kaman Music? True?

Any reaction on what appears to be more than a rumor that dw has purchased the Kaman group's distribution licenses to distribute Gretsch, Gibralter, Sabian, LP, Con Bop, Ovation and others?
    There seems to be, as one would expect at first as the dust settles, a mixture of outrage, panic, and fear mongering.

My personal outlook is: I own and love dw drums and hope they don't spread themselves too thin corporately. The Kaman Music Group has been sagging for quite a while and doing their brands no justice. I have the utmost respect for dw as a company (say what you will, many say they are master marketers) and think they will help revive the market signature of all the companies involved. Especially Gretsch!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Reaction to dw's aquisition of Kaman Music? True?

I work at a local music store and order everything out of the Kaman book... I'm not worried for say but it's a thought in the back of my mind that I hope they don't change to much... just add DW products to the book.

User Info Menu

DW has to smart a staff to let things go. If anything I think its going to help all lines involved.I don't play DW, I have but still think they are a very smart company. Nuff Said
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    I own and love dw drums and hope they don't spread themselves too thin corporately. The Kaman Music Group has been sagging for quite a while and doing their brands no justice. I have the utmost respect for dw as a company (say what you will, many say they are master marketers) and think they will help revive the market signature of all the companies involved. Especially Gretsch!
    Bob :

I am on the other end and I completely agree with your statement above.
    I custom-ordered my Gretsch USA kit in 1977 and they sound better as they age. I still gig with them today. I bought these shells while Gretsch was under the control of the Baldwin Piano Company and the Kaman Group has not provided that same focus. While I respect DW as master drum-makers, I don't believe I will ever have any reason to own their product, because I am perfectly happy with what I now play..........brand and vintage.
    I will join with you in hoping that DW will create a marketing campaign that will support and advance both brand names.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

My only fear is the cost of Gibraltar hardware going up. They have a great selection of odd-ball clamps, adapters, replacement parts, etc.. I use a fair amount on my project kits and have always enjoyed the low pricing.....affordable to the typical gigging drummer. I hope they keep that in mind. I can't afford to pay "DW" level prices. If I could, I'd be playing their drums.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Except you won't be ordering dws from the Kaman book, you'll be ordering everything you used to order from Kaman from the dw book.
    In a way you're right, among other details, the main difference is: the cover changes and dw is in there.
    Judge a book by its cover jokes anyone?

User Info Menu

I doubt dw would want to raise Gibraltar or any other prices. They want a healthy competitive catalog!

User Info Menu

I doubt dw would want to raise Gibraltar or any other prices. They want a healthy competitive catalog!
    Yeah if DW thought Gibraltar or anyone else was hurting them bad enough they would have lowered their prices years ago. If they raise the price of gibraltar it will just open the door for someone else to take gibraltar's place and they would be in the same boat.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'm wondering how the other companies are reacting to the news. Yamaha, for instance, makes all kinds of musical instruments as well as drums.

all the best...

User Info Menu

It all boils down to profit margin. Large Companies are extremely focused and protective of their corporate profit margin. Most would much rather do less in sales but at a higher profit margin. (Ex. $2 million @ 30% profit verses $4 million @ 15% margin). Of course, the market will dictate the resale price to some extent, but premium quality, stock availability and wide product selection are all ingredients for premium price. If the current Gibraltar line is making a profit margin of equal to or better than DW has established as a company, then they can leave pricing alone and enjoy the increased margin and gross profit dollars. However, if Gibraltar has a margin less than what DW (as a company) has, then they will certainly do something. Most will never let an acquisition drag their corporate margin down. They will Either A) leave the pricing alone and look for ways to cut cost, B) raise the price until it's in line with their current margin, or C) a little bit of both. Only time will tell. I sincerely hope they can put Gretsch back on track to the top.....maybe even use the increased manufacturing capabilities of Gibraltar and Gretsch to make more high quality but affordable products.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I agree. As if it isn't expensive enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike