Thread: Dear Yamaha Gurus...

User Info Menu

Default Dear Yamaha Gurus...

Happy New Year, everyone!

A good friend of mine went to Japan for a year-end holiday. He was so kind to drop by to a local drum store there, and made me 'suffer' by sending tons of Japan-made-snare pics! LOL :D

Among the pics he sent, this one really caught my attention. I tried to google it and found a very informative thread on this bad-*** > [link removed. Please see forum rules. Thx, Tom] Thanks very much to the thread starter for posting it.

I was totally sold and finally snagged it. it is in a mint condition considering its age (20+ years). Now...without further ado..I present you..the Yamaha Limited Edition Carbon Custom SD-518 snare!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dear Yamaha Gurus...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Wow that's beautiful. Nice purchase!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Very cool. I'm jealous.

User Info Menu

Ok - Now, you just Have to give us a Vid of you playing it - - gotta hear how it sounds~~Its a good lookin snare and Ive never seen another one - ever.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    Ok - Now, you just Have to give us a Vid of you playing it - - gotta hear how it sounds~~Its a good lookin snare and Ive never seen another one - ever.
    Thanks. unfortunately, I wont be able to do this in the near future.
    However, I can share a bit on the sound here..its very very DRY. Short sustain. and LOUD. I think I will try to swap the hoops to triple flanged and i am sure it will sound better..well at least to my taste. In my opinion, this snare is perfect for studio works. Nonetheless it definitely sound good in outdoor settings. Hope this makes sense my English is not very good..

User Info Menu

oh dear lord I want that!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    my English is not very good..
    We're all drummers. Don't we all speak the same language?

Never thought about a shell being made out of carbon fiber. Pretty cool looking! You described the sound quite well but I'm still curious to know how it sounds.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post

Never thought about a shell being made out of carbon fiber. Pretty cool looking! You described the sound quite well but I'm still curious to know how it sounds.

I played with a band and the drummer had an entire drumset made of carbon fiber. I about died inside when I saw it

User Info Menu

I bet it would go nicely with the Live Customs!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Man that would be fun to have. Yamaha makes such cool stuff. Retuned my Tour Custom bass drum last night! omg it's sic!!! 24x18 inches of sicness!
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Wow...............gorgeous snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post

Thanks very much Mark!

I have tried to google the sound clip but found nothing.

If you happen to know more info on this snare, that would be highly appreciated

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Man that would be fun to have. Yamaha makes such cool stuff. Retuned my Tour Custom bass drum last night! omg it's sic!!! 24x18 inches of sicness!
    wow that kick size is just perfect dude!

Thanks btw!

User Info Menu

Reminds me of the carbonply Pearl masterworks drums, but this one has a nicer lacquer finish. I wonder if they sound similar to one another?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Reminds me of the carbonply Pearl masterworks drums, but this one has a nicer lacquer finish. I wonder if they sound similar to one another?
    I never played the Pearl masterworks carbon drums. With the same size, hoops, head, I reckon there will be no significant difference.

Yamaha is a bit more advanced to produce this thing in 1987, while I believe Pearl is significantly later than that with their masterworks carbon. Still, a very nice piece of musical instrument, though!