Thread: Set players only type of life lesson

User Info Menu

Default Set players only type of life lesson

Do not discount the effect of the impact patch on your kick drum's sound!!
    The little kick I just acquired a week ago sounded OK, but something wasn't right. Little bit "boxy", if you know what I mean. I noticed that the Gibralter patch was peeling up a bit around the edges. It was also a "padded" patch, which softened the attack, a lot it turns out.
    I peeled it off, cleaned the head with alcohol wipes, and put thin little Evans patches on. Freaking thing sounds awesome!! I didn't even bother to re-tune or anything. Instant results. More open, more bottom end, better head response under my foot.
    To think, I was about to go out and get different heads.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Set players only type of life lesson

Interesting. How did it sound before the padded patch started to peel? Or is it just the fact that the patch was padded?

I'll have to remember that. Thanks for the info!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I'll have to put that in the old memory bank.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Hmmm I have a similar patch on my BD and I noticed this am before work it was looking very spotchy. I will check into this tonight. I need to et thinner pads
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I know what you mean.
    When the patch first appeared, I didn't even want to use it.
    But then I put a Gibralter beater right through a new PS3..........well there goes $38.
    Now I use the patch.............but I don't use the thick ones.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I used to have one with an actual metal disc in it. It really had a great effect. My kick always had a sound I compare to a basketball hitting the floor of an empty arena. The ones I have these days I think are hard plastic. I need to find those metal ones again. Maybe Aquarians? If anyone knows, help out an old dude's memory.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Maybe I should just make a set. I have metal and I bet Red Tuck Tape would stick as good as anything.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

The silver duct tape gives more of a classic sound.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

i had one of those padded pads before. Seems like they kind of defeat the purpose of the bass drum. Kills the attack
    Last edited by slinky; 01-15-2015 at 08:44 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Interesting. How did it sound before the padded patch started to peel? Or is it just the fact that the patch was padded?

I'll have to remember that. Thanks for the info!
    I had just gotten the kit and was playing it for the first time all set up. I had noticed that the pad was coming up a little bit when I attached the pedal, but it was just a tiny bit. Sounded pretty good at that point. Thought I might just need to fine tune it.
    Then after playing for a while, the patch had come off the head much more and it sounded really dead and thuddy/boxxy, if that's a word. Box-ish, box-like maybe. You get it.
    With the new pads, because I didn't have a leftover double pad around, just two singles, it sounded immediately awesome! Ported reso head, btw, with an empty shell.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    I used to have one with an actual metal disc in it. It really had a great effect. My kick always had a sound I compare to a basketball hitting the floor of an empty arena. The ones I have these days I think are hard plastic. I need to find those metal ones again. Maybe Aquarians? If anyone knows, help out an old dude's memory.
    You could always use superglue and a couple of quarters.

User Info Menu

I always used one of those Kevlar patches (Remo I think?) on my kick heads; however, I usually did this after one of the layers ripped on my Pinstripe head. Those patches made the head last forever.

Now, I buy Emads and use the little patch that it comes with. I can't imagine anything sounding better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    i always used one of those kevlar patches (remo i think?) on my kick heads; however, i usually did this after one of the layers ripped on my pinstripe head. Those patches made the head last forever.

Now, i buy emads and use the little patch that it comes with. I can't imagine anything sounding better.
    +1

User Info Menu

I use the Kevlar patches as well. I also switched the small, round & flat beater on my Iron Cobra to a traditional felt beater. It gives more of the sound Im after and doesn't seem as destructive to the head. The flat faced beater sounded too "slappy" with the patch. I really like the beater that came on my Pearl Demon Drive....it has just a touch more attack than a standard felt beater with sounding slappy.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Maybe I should just make a set. I have metal and I bet Red Tuck Tape would stick as good as anything.
    I don't recommend duck tape.
    I wore through a kick drum patch once and while I was waiting for a new one I stuck some duck tape On there to protect the head. A few minutes of playing and my wood beater wore through the backing on the tape and was covered in tape goop. After that the beater would stick to the head for a fraction of a second before returning. It really messed up the groove to say the least.

User Info Menu

Definitely storing this tip away for future use. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Gibraltar makes a patch with a metal disc in it called the Click Pad. I use one on my Gibraltar bass drum practice pad. It works great at keeping the pedal beater from cutting into the rubber pad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Gibraltar makes a patch with a metal disc in it called the Click Pad. I use one on my Gibraltar bass drum practice pad. It works great at keeping the pedal beater from cutting into the rubber pad.
    I had a similar one of those when I 1st started drumming and it cut right thru the 1st layer of my Aquarian SK2. Nor sure if it was a gibraltar or not
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO