Thread: Evans E rings

User Info Menu

Default Evans E rings

I'm looking at getting a set of E rings for my kit. Has anybody used them before? I tune my floor toms as low as they will allow and I'm wondering if the rings will get rid of overtones. I'm going for a full mid resonance sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans E rings

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I'm looking at getting a set of E rings for my kit. Has anybody used them before? I tune my floor toms as low as they will allow and I'm wondering if the rings will get rid of overtones. I'm going for a full mid resonance sound.
    What kind of heads are you currently using?

Aquarian, Remo and Evans all make these type of rings, I have only used one on my snare during studio work and the answer is yes, it kills overtones. I'd imagine though that it might be overkill on the entire kit, you might look at moongel so you can pick the amount of dampening.
    Last edited by Zeta; 01-16-2015 at 09:02 PM.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I still have a complete set but do not use them anymore. They will definitely get rid of overtones. They are very cheap as well
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Yes they work well. I use some painters tape and a piece of paper towel. Works just as well for me.

User Info Menu

I have a set of Aquarian rings. They work as advertized, but I agree with Zeta that Moongels can give you more precise control.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    What kind of heads are you currently using?

Aquarian, Remo and Evans all make these type of rings, I have only used one on my snare during studio work and the answer is yes, it kills overtones. I'd imagine though that it might be overkill on the entire kit, you might look at moongel so you can pick the amount of dampening.
    Clear Emperors. I'm wondering if it will be overkill too, but i'm also playing in a small room with hardwood floors. For me, it's not so much for just overtones, but volume and control.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Clear Emperors. I'm wondering if it will be overkill too, but i'm also playing in a small room with hardwood floors. For me, it's not so much for just overtones, but volume and control.
    You might be more in need of acoustic treatment, rather than drum dampening.

you might try making something like these: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...3.html?t=21783
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I think they will work well for what you are trying to accomplish. I'm a fan of those rings because you can use them or remove them as needed. I would only consider new heads if you end up using them at every gig. Otherwise, it can be nice to have the diversity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    You might be more in need of acoustic treatment, rather than drum dampening.

you might try making something like these: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...3.html?t=21783
    I've been thinking about making some acoustic panels for a while now.. But at the moment, I'm just looking at dampening my toms. Those look great by the way!

-Mike

User Info Menu

I love my E-rings---Remo and Aquarian make them as well---or you can make your own---drafting compass + an Exacto knife + an old single ply head = free damping ring!

User Info Menu

I throw an old cotton dish towel, or a t-shirt, or a pillow case over the snare on songs where I want to cut the volume. Just as long as it's a pretty thin and sheer cloth. It will still have good stick feel, but it cuts the volume and ring way down. I don't think rings or Moongel will do much to cut the volume.

I remember reading once that the Ludwig Breakbeats (jungle kit for small urban gigs) come with carrying bags that designed for just such a purpose.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 01-17-2015 at 07:58 AM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Strange as this may seem, what my experience is, the "Rings" may take away over tones but I'm noticing (and this was specifically with my Pearl Masters and coated Ambassadors) they actually created a more pleasant sustain.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I ordered a 6 pack of min-emads today. Figured i'd give them a go.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I don't like the rings because I can hear the plastic move around and click against the rims. Moon gel for this guy only