Thread: Learning curve when switching from double pedal to 2 bass drums

User Info Menu

Default Learning curve when switching from double pedal to 2 bass drums

I have been playing double pedal for a while maintaining 200bpm. I recently found an identical bass drum and added to the kit and converted my iron cobra double into 2 singles.

Is it just me, but ever since I have switched to 2 bass drums I am having trouble playing at my previous speed. Its like because of the separate pedal I cant "feel" what the left side is doing anymore. Before, every hit on the left pedal would be felt on the right foot because of the double pedal design.
    Late 90's Premier APK in White Heat
    11x12 Power Tom
    12x13 Power Tom
    13x14 Power Tom
    16x16 Floor Tom
    2X (22x16) Bass Drums

Looking for 10X9 Power Tom (White)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Learning curve when switching from double pedal to 2 bass drums

I think it might be you've learned to hear the left beater sound in front of you(you've trained your ears/hearing to listen for that beater sound on the right.) With two drums you'll have to re-train your hearing for the different sound coming from the left. Just a bit of time for the readjustment in your selective hearing.This shouldn't be a problem unless you are slightly hearing-impaired in your left ear!
    Last edited by slinglander; 01-21-2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: added comment
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I think it might be you've learned to hear the left beater sound in front of you(you've trained your ears/hearing to listen for that beater sound on the right.) With two drums you'll have to re-train your hearing for the different sound coming from the left. Just a bit of time for the readjustment in your selective hearing.This shouldn't be a problem unless you are slightly hearing-impaired in your left ear!
    +1

I had the same problem when I first got my double bass kit, You have a bit of a learning curve but in my experience (I switched back to a double pedal due to space considerations) you won't have as big of an issue switching back to a double pedal.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

I play better on double kicks than I do in double pedals. It just feels better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    That's exactly it and it's throwinwing me off causing my double bass to be gallopy. I'm glad to hear this isn't news to most. Guess I'll keep pushing through. Quite disheartening since I switched to double kick to have a better feel and eliminate the lag of the slave pedal. But with double kicks, the notes are clearer highlighting the flaws a little more
    11x12 Power Tom
    12x13 Power Tom
    13x14 Power Tom
    16x16 Floor Tom
    2X (22x16) Bass Drums

User Info Menu

I play SO MUCH better on two bass drums instead of one. Two of my kits are double kicks and three of my kits are single... the kit I gig out on is a single bass drum and let me tell you I'm definitely not as fast or powerful.

One of the issues I feel is the rebound of the bass drum head. Being so much larger I feel like the left foot is fighting the rebound from the right foot. Also the beater is not centrally located it's off to the side which gives it different tone and punch also. Minor things that all make a big difference when I'm playing extremely technical and fast.

User Info Menu

Has anyone given any thought to the sensitivity settings on the added pedal?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Has anyone given any thought to the sensitivity settings on the added pedal?
    true. But also it's the fact the left has always had the feel of the double pedal, so spring relocated, the shaft, extra bearings, makes huge difference.

Definitely play with adjustments on the pedal for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Also the beater is not centrally located it's off to the side which gives it different tone and punch also. Minor things that all make a big difference when I'm playing extremely technical and fast.
    Ever thought of moving the main beater off to the side to match the slave. On the iron cobra, all the beaters (single or double) are offset from the center as the cam is the centerd piece. I find this actually opens up the drum seeing as the center is kind of a dead spot anyway.
    11x12 Power Tom
    12x13 Power Tom
    13x14 Power Tom
    16x16 Floor Tom
    2X (22x16) Bass Drums