Thread: sound

User Info Menu

Default sound

I was wondering about sound and echo and all that good stuff.
    I have an unfinished basement (fairly large).
    Its got the ususal stuff,washer and dryer..a work bench and allot more open area.
    I was thinking about placing my drums down there in an open area but I wasnt sure if the sound would be really bad (please lets not count my skills here...lol)

I just wasn't sure ...input would be appreciated.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Get some egg carton foam strips, dampening rings, tune your resonant heads, and throw some blankets on the blank wall area. That should help with the crappy echo that concrete creates.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Get some egg carton foam strips, dampening rings, tune your resonant heads, and throw some blankets on the blank wall area. That should help with the crappy echo that concrete creates.
    not familiar with dampening rings??

User Info Menu

They're usually refered to as muffling rings or something of the sort. Alot of different brands make their own. I use to have Evans muffling rings, but Remo makes the O Rings and Aquarian has Studio Rings I believe. All they do is lower the resonation and quiet some of the drums overtones.
    I'm sure there are a few threads here on them.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

The other thing you want tyo make sure of, Aunkster, is whether the basement is water tight. You don't want to expose your drums to extremes of humidity, or temperature for that matter. If it has concrete walls, is you basement finished enough to provide the right environment for your investment?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    The other thing you want tyo make sure of, Aunkster, is whether the basement is water tight. You don't want to expose your drums to extremes of humidity, or temperature for that matter. If it has concrete walls, is you basement finished enough to provide the right environment for your investment?
    thanks for that info you are correct..I think im good there though

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    how do you hang these egg crates to hang on a wall and where do you get egg crate foam strips?

User Info Menu

I don't think the sound matters if you're just practicing down there. Natural reverb can sound cool. Just make sure you use ear protection. Take it from a drummer that has major ringing of the ears. If you plan on recording, that's a different story. Blessings.......