Thread: Clear snare drum heads?

User Info Menu

Default Clear snare drum heads?

I've seen a few drummers using clear batter heads on their snares. Mainly because they're acrylic etc. I saw a video of Neil Peart at the Buddy Rich memorial. Probably the first time I've seen a clear head on a wood snare. Does anyone use a clear batter head? I'm thinking of trying it with an emperor x
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Clear snare drum heads?

I have a 6.5 x 13 tama artwood with a clear ambassador batter head with a hazy 300 snare side, I don't remember why I put that head on there but it is one of my favorite sounding snare drums.

User Info Menu

I put a 14" twin ply clear head on my Pearl steel shell snare as a temporary replacement for the (original) head - it sounded better. I replaced it with a coated Ambo, which I changed again for a Genera HD dry as the Ambo left it too open and the drum rang like crazy.

I found the twin Ply clear preferable to the Ambo on that snare but couldn't live with the looks. I don't know why but clear heads on snares look odd to me - I have no problems with clear tom batters. I believe the coating is there for brush work (something I still have to learn). I may be wrong but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use clear heads on snares.

User Info Menu

The good ole black dot was a popular snare head in the 70's and 80's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    The good ole black dot was a popular snare head in the 70's and 80's.
    Yep, I used a black dot for a little while, and I think also a silver dot. I was playing in a rock band (1982-1986), we covered the heavier side of top-40 (like Night Ranger).
    I went through quite a few heads. I went back to Ambassadors/Emperors just because they were always easy to find / in stock.
    Premier - A. Zildjian - Evans - Vic Firth

User Info Menu

Not sure if the EC frosted with reverse dot is considered a clear head. I have always used coated heads on my snares and this EC is the first one that is clear to me.

User Info Menu

Specific drags, grace notes, etc., have a better feel with coated heads...........especially if you are using nylon-tipped sticks like I do.
    We were taught in school to always use a coated head on the snare drum.
    I prefer coated Emps............will ring less than the Ambos.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I'm sure a black dot has made its way onto my snare at some point, but not an out-and-out clear head. IMO, it makes the snare look cheap (like a Sears catalog special), but I don't know how it would sound.

I'm sticking with coated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Not sure if the EC frosted with reverse dot is considered a clear head. I have always used coated heads on my snares and this EC is the first one that is clear to me.
    I picked up one of these EC heads out of the clearance bin for $5. Totally impressed with it so far. I think that it is the same coating as on the G1, but without the white pigmentation. Great head for snares.

User Info Menu

I own 3 acrylic snares and each has a clear head. I'm using Evans 360 and a G2.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    I picked up one of these EC heads out of the clearance bin for $5. Totally impressed with it so far. I think that it is the same coating as on the G1, but without the white pigmentation. Great head for snares.
    Me too as soon as I put it on my maple snare wow man she came to life. Would never have that sound from a coated head. So much tone anywhere you hit just amazing.

User Info Menu

I've played snares with clear heads before (not my own, but others) and they sounded fine. Compared to a coated head they were a little brighter with more overtones. I prefer coated heads on snares and toms (even my 6" LP Micro Snare has a coated head).

User Info Menu

I only used black dots on a wood snare I had in the late 80's. I liked the sound. Most recently have used the Ludwig silver dots. Atlanta Pro Percussion stocks them believe it or not.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Depends upon the sound you are going for.
    I use an Attack clear on a Pearl FF brass pic and love the overtones it allows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnnlO-XWIsE

User Info Menu

I recently put Evans EC Reverse Dots on my Black Beauty and Acrolite snares and I really like the sound - especially for recording.

User Info Menu

If they made a clear head but textured it some how for brushes I might try one.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I just can't do it. It has nothing to do with the sound, it is purely a visual thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by -bongos- View Post
    I just can't do it. It has nothing to do with the sound, it is purely a visual thing.

Same here. I'm an old guy, and white heads all around just look better to me.

GeeDeeEmm