Thread: Drum Mics

User Info Menu

Default Drum Mics

I am curious what people think. I got a line on some drum mics at a good price. It's a CAD Pro 7 piece mic set, but the seller is not near enough to me for me to hear the mics. My gut instinct is that this is something that should only be bought new, or if you can hear the mics before you buy them. Am I on track with this thinking, or am I just paranoid?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

probably a little of both. i dont know much about mikes but i do that if theyed only been used a little its probably worth it.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Default Hey PB

I think with the low price of these new would be best
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ack?sku=270749
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Yeah, I was just thinking that if used drum mics are a decent risk, I could get some that are "slightly used" for about $120. Only problem is that I can't check them out myself, and that bothers me a bit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

i use the shure mics for my drums, and the akg's for directional mics on the cymbals. works great

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I am curious what people think. I got a line on some drum mics at a good price. It's a CAD Pro 7 piece mic set, but the seller is not near enough to me for me to hear the mics. My gut instinct is that this is something that should only be bought new, or if you can hear the mics before you buy them. Am I on track with this thinking, or am I just paranoid?
    That is exactly what I have bob and I love them, they record awesome and they sound killer live, I really dig them alot.
    Just listen to any of my recordings and you will get an idea of what they sound like. How much is he askin if you don't mind tellin me?

User Info Menu

Well, I decided to buy the mics. I got them off of eBay for $120 with shipping. They would have been $199 through on online retailer. I know it may be a bit premature for me, but I have intentions of using my drums in a church setting, and I believe these will eventually be necessary to my ministry.

User Info Menu

that sounds cool pb, good buy

i can just see it now, turn to pg 106 in your hymnals, and pause after the second verse for a drum solo by me.

User Info Menu

I think it is great, good job bob.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    that sounds cool pb, good buy

i can just see it now, turn to pg 106 in your hymnals, and pause after the second verse for a drum solo by me.
    I like it! I'll have to make sure I get time in the service for that drums solo!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pdplayer View Post
    I think it is great, good job bob.
    Thanks Kevin. I guess I will have to contact CAD to see about an additional tom mic, since I have a 4 tom set up, unless there is another way to do it. I assume that the condenser mics could pick up the roto toms, if I chose to use them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Thanks Kevin. I guess I will have to contact CAD to see about an additional tom mic, since I have a 4 tom set up, unless there is another way to do it. I assume that the condenser mics could pick up the roto toms, if I chose to use them.
    Honestly bob, just about all of my videos, all I am using is my overheads and a kick mic, and I think it sounds pretty good, you really don't need another tom mic, unless you are doing a very clean recording or a very clean live show, those condenser mics are incredible.
    Just my opinion.

User Info Menu

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the 411! It's nice to have friends like you!

User Info Menu

dude.. thats awsome, your getin mics!! ok im sorta in your situation.. i was thinking mics are a bit premature for me.. but i wanted some and its always been in the back of my head. and i guess i sorta have a band happinin and i want it to sound good! so you may have led me to buy some mics

User Info Menu

Lafirin, I found mine on eBay. I'll let you know how good a eal it was when I get them later this week. I'm hoping they will be everything the guy said they were.

User Info Menu

okay cool man, i hope there gonna be good mics, and in good condition and all. i wish you all the luck man

User Info Menu

the 7 pc. cad pro kit will serve amature purposes well, but as you said you need one more tom mic. i recomend buying a good kick mic (sure52 or akg d112) to go with the cad pack and use the cad kick mic on the floor toms. budget mics are like budget cymbals. you will want to upgrade someday, prolly the kick drum first.

User Info Menu

Undertsood, Funky. I was thinking that this could serve OK in the church settings, especially the smaller church settings. When I decide to go pro, and start touring (when I retire at 72), I'm sure I'll need better mics. I am not ready to take you on any time soon!

User Info Menu

what? the church doesn't deserve the same sound quallity as a "pro" gig? a great sound system in a big church room is a beautiful thing. i have been very surprised and impressed with the attention and budget that some churches are devoting to worship bands lately.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I wish my church was one of them. Right now, the church that I serve is about 10 years behind the curve in building the buildings that they need to handle the growth that is happening here now. We remodeled the sanctuary two years ago, and now when we have fellowship dinners struggle to fit everyone into the fellowship hall. Tough problem to have, but it leaves little consideration for an update of the sound system.

User Info Menu

Hey kev have you found any problems with peaks while you play? Mostly on the kick mic?

Thats why i dont like cads. But i guess they must have changed maybe?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    Hey kev have you found any problems with peaks while you play? Mostly on the kick mic?

Thats why i dont like cads. But i guess they must have changed maybe?
    Hello,

No I can't say I have yet, and I hope I don't.