Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practicing with recorded music

User Info Menu

Default Practicing with recorded music

I want to do some practicing with recorded music. I used to have an old stereo in my drum room that I have since given away. I tried using that a few times, but I don't think that I want to do that because I had to turn it up pretty loud in order to hear it over my playing.

Do you have suggestions for a setup that I can use so that I can hear myself and the recorded music in earphones? I want to keep the cost somewhat reasonable. I currently do not have any mics.

Thanks,
    Dave

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practicing with recorded music

I often use my iPod in ear buds with my Lowes noise cancellation phones.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I bought a refurbished two channel hi-fi amp and a cheap cd player.
    I also bought a pair of Sennheiser 280s...........they are isolating so you don't have to turn it up loud to hear the music.
    I move one ear pad very slightly in order to let in the right amount of my drum sounds.
    Works great.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I play music through a little PA system.

User Info Menu

I tried everything I could think of, with no success. To sound proper, the music has to be as loud as the drums and, drums are loud.

When I went electronic, it solved all those issues. You can hit hard and make the mix perfect whether in headphones or a PA. I now have hundreds of hours of practice that I would not otherwise have had.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I play music through a little PA system.
    I did this when I started playing the drums, it works pretty good and I still use it if I'm working on a song with my Cajon. As an added benefit my parents didn't mind as much when I did this as they could actually hear what I was playing along too.

I currently use Vic Firth Studio Isolation headphones because you can plug them into and MP3 or an Ipod, they work pretty good, I've had mine for about 4 years and they have just recently broken (the cable disconnected) and they might've lasted longer if I didn't use them as general hearing protection for work or shooting practice. You can get better headphones, but on the cheap end I'd say Vic Firth offers the best quality for the price. Good luck with your search!
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

I am doing some reading and thinking about a small mixer with a headphone output and one overhead mic (I am not going to be a nut and keep adding mics...really, I am not).

If you think this is a good plan. I have seen some mixers that I think will work for under a hundred. Can someone suggest an overhead mic?

User Info Menu

I just use regular earbuds and I can hear my music and drums just fine.

User Info Menu

I have some Shure SE215s which I use to play along to music from Spotify on my phone.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Over the past 30 years I have used everything from big arse headphones with earplugs underneath to my current setup of iphone/ipod with Westone in ear monitors....so far this is a great setup for me. Keeps the volume levels in check but allows me to hear the dynamics of what I'm playing better than the old headphone over earplug thing I used to use....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I just use regular earbuds and I can hear my music and drums just fine.
    I've done that too. I play along with my little mp3 player and earbuds sometimes.

User Info Menu

iPod & headphones. Done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dpok View Post
    I want to do some practicing with recorded music. I used to have an old stereo in my drum room that I have since given away. I tried using that a few times, but I don't think that I want to do that because I had to turn it up pretty loud in order to hear it over my playing.

Do you have suggestions for a setup that I can use so that I can hear myself and the recorded music in earphones? I want to keep the cost somewhat reasonable. I currently do not have any mics.

Thanks,
    Dave
    I use an mp3 player and Vic Firth headphones. An iPod would work just as well, of course.
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

If I were in your shoes, here's what I'd get:

1. A small Behringer mixer with at least one XLR input.
    2. A Shure SM57 (you can use a cheaper mic, but a 57 will last you for years).
    3. A set of Shure 215 in-ear monitors.
    4. A 1/8" stereo extension cable.
    5. A 1/8" stereo male to a 1/4" stereo male (this can be used to plug in your phone, CD player, or anything with a 1/4" output).

A set up like this will last you for a long, long time.

User Info Menu

A much cheaper option would be to get a set of those noise-cancelling headphones with a 1/8" jack and your smartphone. Wanna hear your drums? You should be able to hear enough of them with these headphones, but it won't be too much. Want to hear them more? Take one of the headphone cups slightly off your ear.

User Info Menu

What little bit of playing with recorded music that I have done in the last few weeks has been with noise canceling headphones with one ear off a bit. It seems like I can't hear myself great and can't hear the music great. Maybe I am being picky.

User Info Menu

I think you might be asking a little too much of the situation. The idea isn't to hear the song, just the groove to keep you in sync with the recording. Also, you aren't going to hear your drums the way you do usually, so you have to put time in to get used to hearing them muted while playing to recordings. Unavoidable side-effect of practicing that way.
    I use Sennheiser HD 335s over-ear phones with great success, btw. I hear lots of music, enough of my drums. About $120 I think.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

What little bit of playing with recorded music that I have done in the last few weeks has been with noise canceling headphones with one ear off a bit. It seems like I can't hear myself great and can't hear the music great. Maybe I am being picky.
    I get where you are coming from. I need to hear the drums in a proper/perfect mix to be happy with what I'm playing. If it sounds great to me, I can play for hours. If it is out of kilter somehow, I can still play but it isn't as enjoyable and I wont get as much done.

User Info Menu

New Tricks,
    When you say you went electronic, do you mean that you went to an e-kit or you mic your kit and use a mixer and headphones? If the later, what do you use?
    Thanks

User Info Menu

New Tricks,
    When you say you went electronic, do you mean that you went to an e-kit or you mic your kit and use a mixer and headphones? If the later, what do you use?
    Thanks
    I converted my A kit to an E kit

Recording is as simple as plugging it in like you would any instrument. Practicing is pretty much "silent" (with phones).

User Info Menu

I use my ipod, with earplugs, and around ear headphones over that
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

(I am not going to be a nut and keep adding mics...really, I am not).
    It's okay if you add more mics . . . and stop calling me a nut.

User Info Menu

I bought some super nice Kliptsch headphones and I just love them. In ear buds but they have the noise canceling feature

User Info Menu

I picked up a Harbinger mixer for $47 and an SM57 mic package (mic, cable and boom stand) for $110 at my local GC.

Works really good. I can hear the music great, the sound is better than I expected from one overhead mic and out the door for $165.

Thanks for all of your input.

User Info Menu

That sounds like a good deal. A store near me sells the SM57 microphone alone for $ 110.

What model mixer did you get?