Thread: Tama’s Star Series Snare Stand (HS 100W)

User Info Menu

Default Tama’s Star Series Snare Stand (HS 100W)

This snare stand impresses me a lot. I bought it when my previous stand decided it did not want to go and play any longer. I read up on this stand specifically because I was curious about Tama’s innovations. Tama delivered the goods with this one.

Four things I like…
    1. The adjustable arms of the basket: Two of the arms can be set up for the stand to hold a 12 inch to 15 inch snare drum. The absence of the center post makes these two adjustable arms very important. The third arm is also adjustable. However, it telescopes in and out of the Horizontal Centering Bar to grip the lower rim of the snare drum.
    2. The “Claws” on the snare basket: I love that these hook over the bottom rim and grasp it when the drum if lifted up. I do not need to clamp the arms in place to make sure the snare remains attached to the stand when moving it around.
    3. The Swiveling Snare Basket offers two features I really love
    a. The Horizontal Centering Bar enables me to position the snare off center of the stand itself. This feature alone has eliminated a configuration issue I’ve had for a while. I did not expect a snare stand to eliminate the issue… but this one did. I feel so much more comfortable when playing now
    b. The Omni-Ball Positioning concept is wonderful. I can set the snare angle without repositioning the entire stand… both front-to-back and side-to-side
    4. The retractable spikes in the feet and the tripod memory locks are nice features too

Three Things I am not a fan of…
    1. The stand’s weight: it is a heavy chunk of metal. Understandably so but heavy metal all the same
    2. The Omni-Ball does not have a “Memory” feature so I cannot quickly set the snare drum to the same angle during set up.
    3. The feet are a little too fat for my liking. That is my self-inflicted issue because of the way my pedals are configured.

Overall…
    I really love this stand. Like I mentioned, this stand actually eliminated my one nagging configuration issue. My drum set feels more comfortable with every passing gigging. The Horizontal Centering Bar and Omni-Ball system, working in concert, make this the best gear purchase I have made in a long time. Tama got this one right!!!
    Last edited by Eric Anderson; 02-13-2015 at 08:57 AM. Reason: missing words

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama’s Star Series Snare Stand (HS 100W)

I have never tried a snare stand that uses an omni-ball, but have wanted to for a while. It seems like it'd help a lot when mounting to a rack. Is there an arm available for a snare drum with this feature for people not using stands?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I have never tried a snare stand that uses an omni-ball, but have wanted to for a while. It seems like it'd help a lot when mounting to a rack. Is there an arm available for a snare drum with this feature for people not using stands?
    Gibraltar has offered these for years.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Gibraltar has offered these for years.

GeeDeeEmm
    Awesome, did not know they used an omniball.

User Info Menu

i kinda think this snare stand is overkill. Does it come with an operators manual? It's an excellent looking stand though that can probably do the dishes too.

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    i kinda think this snare stand is overkill. Does it come with an operators manual? It's an excellent looking stand though that can probably do the dishes too.

I got one for my new Starclassics last summer.

It does the trick but I tend to like and prefer the Roadpro series better.

P.S. It doesn't do dishes, though. It can't reach the sink.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

lol, hand it the vacuum
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Congrats on the purchase. That snare stand looks so beefy! I'm a big fan of Tama hardware especially their Omni-ball rack tom holders. Mine came with the Tama TechStar T5100 ekit pads I purchased in the '80s and the pewter ball has held up for over 25+ years.

On the other hand, I bought a Ludwig snare stand that uses an Omni ball type swivel for the snare basket a few years ago and the plastic ball is already showing signs of wear and tear. I'm going on the assumption that not all Omni ball's are created equal?

User Info Menu

This stand continues to solve the problems I was experiencing. By far and away, it remains the best gear purchase I've made in a long time
    That's My Rumor & I'm Sticking To It

User Info Menu

That's what came with my 80's Swingstars the Omni Sphere mount. One reason I've always stuck with Tama is because on their mounting hardware. Never liked the way Pearl and Yamaha have their mounts going straight through the shells. I do like those two companies though
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I have the Gibraltar stand with the omniball type mount, I love it. You can adjust it to the perfect angle in a heartbeat, and it sits low enough to keep my 14x10 snare at a good height.

User Info Menu

Never liked the way Pearl and Yamaha have their mounts going straight through the shells. I do like those two companies though
    Just for clarity, no Pearl kit I've seen has the mounts going through the shell. My Yamaha Oaks do but they sound excellent on or off the mounts.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Vintage Pearl used the arms that went into the shells.

1980's

80's/90's
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Vintage Pearl used the arms that went into the shells.

1980's

80's/90's
    I get what you are saying but did they actually go through the shell?

My Masters use the same style arms but did not protrude into the shell. That may have been the case 20+ years ago but times and designs are changing. Even the Vision series which is way different has a rim mount design. In my opinion that is worse with all the stress that seems to come with its design.

I am a believer in TAMA hardware over most everything else, I suppose since I own three different series of TAMA drum sets. They just keep getting better and better.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The R.I.M.S. system came out in the 80s as an after market modification for drummers who did not like the mounts going through the shells. This link show the current version of the RIMS system

http://www.gaugerpercussion.com/rims...o-series1.html

The idea caught on well enough that drum companies began adding this feature to their high end sets, as well as offering after market mod kits. As the years progressed, this feature became the industry norm on all but the cheapest sets

I love that Tama machined the mount system into the rims. I am not a fan of systems the put the weight of the drum on the tension rods... Ludwig's Vibraband being a great example.
    That's My Rumor & I'm Sticking To It

User Info Menu

Ive been using that Tama Star HS100W snare stand now ever since they first came out with it and I love it....and I also use the DW9300 snare stand, which isnt an omni-ball type but it gives you the same variable positioning as the Tama Star does and both of these stands are made for the road.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Old thread, I realize, but wanted to mention my concurrence with Mr. Wright about the DW heavy duty snare stand. However, I got the 9000 Series Air Lift Snare stand, which is the same as the DW9300, except it has the air cylinder to aid in lifting a snare drum and prevents the drum from dropping uncontrollably when loosening the adjustments. In fact, I even got a second one. I'm sure the Tama Star stand is great...I was looking at them just the other day.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare