Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm not just a drummer.......

User Info Menu

Default I'm not just a drummer.......

What other instruments do you play besides drums?

User Info Menu

Default Re: I'm not just a drummer.......

I play and teach classical piano

User Info Menu

Drums were my first love, but the instrument I am really good at playing is guitar.
    I've spent time learning to play Blues Harmonica the last 7 years and it really is my third arm. It's everything any guitarist would love, in a wind instrument.

User Info Menu

Geez, let's see...

I guess I'll count school band, so here goes:

Trumpet
    Baritone
    Tuba
    French horn
    Mellophone
    Xylophone
    Bass drum
    Piano (play by ear)
    Acoustic guitar
    Bass guitar
    Mountain dulcimer
    Hammered dulcimer
    Bowed psaltery
    A little mandolin

It's not that I'm any good at any of these. I think I just get bored easily.

User Info Menu

Along with drums I can also play the computer and a little bit of keys
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Pork Pie wins!

Drums first

Acoustic guitar and voice

tiny bit of bass

Used to play a couple of fiddle tunes

Kazoo...for the life of me I just can't seem to catch onto the harmonica.

all the best...

User Info Menu

PorkPieGuy are you a school music instructor?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    PorkPieGuy are you a school music instructor?
    No, I just switched off instruments about every year or so. All of the brass instruments I played were in middle and high school. I haven't picked up a brass instrument in probably 15 years...at least.

The only time I've ever toured (it was short-lived), I played bass and keyboard. I didn't get to play drums with that group. I've a little bit of success playing hammered dulcimer; it's a lot of fun. Here's a video that I made playing the old hymn "I'll Fly Away." Sorry for the crummy audio and video (Thanks Kodak EasyShare!)

User Info Menu

I took a good 10 years off playing drums - couldn't bring my drumset to my college dorm so I didn't study and played guitar instead. Drums, Guitar, Banjo, Ukelele, harmonica, bass guitar, piano, trombone...
    It definitely helps knowing many instruments for playing in a band...it's nice when you can tell your band mates your ideas in their language

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    No, I just switched off instruments about every year or so. All of the brass instruments I played were in middle and high school. I haven't picked up a brass instrument in probably 15 years...at least.

The only time I've ever toured (it was short-lived), I played bass and keyboard. I didn't get to play drums with that group. I've a little bit of success playing hammered dulcimer; it's a lot of fun. Here's a video that I made playing the old hymn "I'll Fly Away." Sorry for the crummy audio and video (Thanks Kodak EasyShare!)

I love the hammered dulcimer. It sounds magical. Great job!

all the best...

User Info Menu

..it's nice when you can tell your band mates your ideas in their language
    Aint that the truth. The looks I get when I tell the guitarist that he's missing the B minor chord!

LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

I play a mean steering wheel.

That's about it.

User Info Menu

I played trumpet back in the school days. I quit because my lips were always chapped.
    So I switched to spoons.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=porkpieguy;631701] I've a little bit of success playing hammered dulcimer; it's a lot of fun. Here's a video that I made playing the old hymn "I'll Fly Away." Sorry for the crummy audio and video (Thanks Kodak EasyShare!)

Wow, I liked that! I have never heard of a hammered dulcimer but the sound of it is beautiful. I reminds me of a cross between a piano and a harp.

Thanks for sharing!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

That was awesome PPG!

I played clarinet in elementary school band, but I don't think I'd remember much today.

I play drums in a band with some other pastors.
    I play guitar with a church praise band.
    I also sing some lead vocals and backing harmonies
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The Bowed Psaltery ... 'porkpieguy' this
    clearly makes you the Champion on the..
    'I'm not just a drummer' thread

User Info Menu

Acoustic piano I play fairly well, I play a little acoustic guitar, but what I get compliments the most on is my singing I've had no formal training but I have a really good range. Also if you count hand percussion as another instrument I would say Cajon and Djembe as well
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

wow PorkPieGuy that was awesome! You win

User Info Menu

Never seen that instrument before. That was amazing!

User Info Menu

Dude, that's awesome! I have enough trouble hitting drum heads with sticks, let alone strings, LOL. I would love to have you in our band. That would fit right in with our style. Plus, having another drummer would allow me to play more guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Aint that the truth. The looks I get when I tell the guitarist that he's missing the B minor chord!

LOL

all the best...
    That's one of the reasons I learned guitar. I'm not much good at it (or drums for that matter), buts it's proved valuable to communicate with the other guys, as well as for introducing new songs. It's also fun to get out out in front on occasion. It gave me more confidence in being a musician and drummer as well.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm not very good, but I've been playing bass and guitar for a couple of years.

User Info Menu

No offense intended here Porkpie, but what makes a person to wake up one day and say, " I think I want to play the Bowed Psaltery"?

User Info Menu

Guitar, bass, and cello. I can fake it on banjo and mandolin, but I don't really know what I'm doing.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

To be honest, drums were the second instrument I tried to learn. I spent awhile trying guitar (my dad and brother both played) but I sucked at it. So then, enter drums. I fell in love. It was funny though, about a year after I picked up drums, I tried guitar again and it just came naturally. Currently, I'm able to play drums, guitar, bass, and piano. It's crazy how learning the drums allowed me to learn other instruments quickly.

I can also play the heck out of a desk at school

User Info Menu

I used play some polka accordion in the old group:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpkXo9_6nVc

(Hadn't brought the squeezebox out of the case in several years, until just last week. My son and I did some accordion and drum jamming. Maybe I will get back into it.)
    Last edited by JoePasko; 11-01-2015 at 06:21 AM.