Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My PDP X7

User Info Menu

Default My PDP X7

My name is Zack, my nickname is Spaz cause sometimes I get a little wild and crazy. Anyways, I just started up with a new band several months ago and I picked up a new drumset for this band. But it has been going through so many changes I figured I would make one thread to keep updating for my newest drumset to my collection. (I have 5 sets now)

So lets start from the beginning. This kit was at my music store I teach at. So I picked it up for a super killer price. $400 all hardware no cymbals. My wonderful caring GF of 7 years didn't mind me picking it up at all because her favorite color is Orange.

PDP X7 Orange Sparkle Finish.

They also threw in some new G1 Coated heads with the deal because the heads were missmatching. So I couldn't pass up the deal and threw it in the truck!

User Info Menu

Default Re: My PDP X7

Couldn't get the toms to sit exactly how I wanted them too so I swapped it to a 2 up and 2 right 1 left setup.

Gorgeous with the new white heads! Also added Sabian XS series cymbals to the kit!

User Info Menu

I then took them to the bar! We have special privileges at a place called Back Bar. We leave our gear there and practice there.

User Info Menu

Added our logo to the bass drum head and my famous mustache lol

Then started ordering all new SKB cases for traveling

Here is a mixture of what I was working with.. old to new... my collection is almost finished

User Info Menu

I HATED the factory snare drum.. so I picked up this matching amber acrylic pork pie

Started adding a side rack from pieces I had left over from my other drumset

Also swapped out all the heads to Evans Black Chrome to take my abuse..

User Info Menu

Finally ordered these tom mounts (which I ended up hating) to finish my rack setup

Also installed a new Evans front emad head along with kickport and installed the front bar for rack. Also put the kit back to a 3 across the top and 2 floor.

I haven't installed it yet but I picked up a Popcorn PDP Black Out snare drum!
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 02-17-2015 at 08:35 AM.

User Info Menu

And last night I picked up this steal of a deal! PDP Curved rack with 11 clamps and 5 cymbal holders!

User Info Menu

Also ordered the actual PDP Tom mounts to replace the gibraltars I can't stand but they haven't come yet. Tonight at practice I will redo the entire kit yet again.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous kit.

User Info Menu

This whole story is working out very well............congratulations.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post

Also ordered the actual PDP Tom mounts to replace the gibraltars I can't stand but they haven't come yet. Tonight at practice I will redo the entire kit yet again.
    Nice get on the rack. The DW rack is the best one out there in my opinion. What are you going to attach the pdp tom mounts to. Do they come with a vertical pipe, that you put in the Clamp on the rack?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    Nice get on the rack. The DW rack is the best one out there in my opinion. What are you going to attach the pdp tom mounts to. Do they come with a vertical pipe, that you put in the Clamp on the rack?
    Replacing all the gibraltar tom mounts with these

They are adjustable forward and backward which is a big advantage and sit much lower than the Gibraltar. These won't take away from the drums also which give it a much cleaner look. I should have bought these the first time but I thought the adjustable ball mount would be better.
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 02-17-2015 at 09:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Replacing all the gibraltar tom mounts with these

They are adjustable forward and backward which is a big advantage and sit much lower than the Gibraltar. These won't take away from the drums also which give it a much cleaner look. I should have bought these the first time but I thought the adjustable ball mount would be better.
    How are you going to adjust vertical height with those? You should have the tom mounted at the top of the rod usually for best resonance. Then you are out of vertical adjustment.

User Info Menu

I think you are really going to miss the ball joint for fine tuning, and the pipe for vertical adjustment.

User Info Menu

Spaz, you have that X7 kit looking great. I'm not a fan of racks, but I think the PDP curved rack will be a big improvement. For what it's worth, I too think you will miss the versatility of the ball clamps, whether PDP or Gibraltar, but I'm sure you will find a way to make them work.

Keep us updated. You have a very interesting thread going here.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Very nice, FYI, that is not a truck.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

and...now you're broke. Ha. Amazing deal on the original kit, although I'm sure you've doubled your investment on all the additional cases, gear, etc. I love my PDP Maple, awesome kit at an awesome price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    How are you going to adjust vertical height with those? You should have the tom mounted at the top of the rod usually for best resonance. Then you are out of vertical adjustment.
    All those toms will sit at the same heights so my thought it adjust the rack up or down so I can keep the toms on the upper part of the rod.

User Info Menu

Looks great

User Info Menu

All those toms will sit at the same heights so my thought it adjust the rack up or down so I can keep the toms on the upper part of the rod.
    But that would set your front bar very high, and probably in front of your drum shells. I think you figured this out in another thread. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Really nice kit Spaz,like to see your other kits especially the 19 pc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    Really nice kit Spaz,like to see your other kits especially the 19 pc
    Because it's crammed in my horribly messy basement it's a beast to take photos of but here are a couple of older pics before I finished the full 8 octobons

Last edited by SpazApproved; 02-20-2015 at 08:33 AM.

User Info Menu

So I got my new PDP rack installed and so far EXTREMELY happy with it.

The previous owner cut it down for a 18" bass drum so I got lucky and it BARELY clears my 22" but I love the super low profile sleek look.

Sits right above the bass drum

The right side is part of my old Gibraltar rack but I ordered a side add on from PDP yesterday so hopefully that comes next week so it's all matching... damn my OCD

User Info Menu

So I tweaked the kit a little more and I lowered the bar down low on the right side to help show show off the drums a little more. I will continue to tweak it until perfect for me.

But here are some photos from last night that turned out pretty decent using my phone verse my GF's Iphone

User Info Menu

ordered STM mounts for these floor toms.. but here you can also see how low the rack is to the bass drum

The right add on of rack is still from my Gibraltar rack. I also ordered another curve bar rack attachment from PDP/DW. Hopefully that comes in the next week.

And our truck got a flat so I hauled this massive trailer in my poor little CRV...