Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converting Floor Tom to Rack Tom

User Info Menu

Default Re: Converting Floor Tom to Rack Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    OK then. Well the name of the thread was "Comments on Ludwig snap in lugs on their Signet drum sets". Pretty sure that is asking for opinion's."

On that other site, that you left in a hissy fit, I was just showing an interest in the members favourite band, and had a listen to what he likes. It was not to my liking, and I just said, "I listened to your favourite band. Sorry, doesn't work for me! :( To which he replied, "Haha, not a problem Sticks. If we all liked the same stuff the world would be very dull indeed." That member and I have a good relationship, so we can banter like that.

If our posts bother each other so much, then maybe we should just ignore them, instead of trying so hard to dig up dirt!
    Just remember, YOU busted my chops for simply commenting on hanging floor toms. I had every right to voice an opinion about the subject. Don't always feel the need to be a victim.

Shall we talk about leaving sites in a hissy fit? Should we list them for you alphabetically, or just the ones you've been banned from, which I believe includes this site...

Oops, forgot to add the smiley...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    So I called up DW again and with SunDog bring up the older CX kit to my attention, we were able to find some STM brackets at DW! They no longer are in production and discontinued but they have some 14's and 16's left in stock! So they gave me the part numbers:

PDACSTM14CR
    PDACSTM16CR

and now I can order them through any authorized dealer they just have to be special ordered.
    Great news. That will be your best solution by far! Can you say stock looking!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Just remember, YOU busted my chops for simply commenting on hanging floor toms. I had every right to voice an opinion about the subject. Don't always feel the need to be a victim.

Shall we talk about leaving sites in a hissy fit? Should we list them for you alphabetically, or just the ones you've been banned from, which I believe includes this site...

Oops, forgot to add the smiley...
    If you aren't getting banned, you aren't trying hard enough!

User Info Menu

Cha-ching!! Glad I could help.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

A little late to the party, but I've been inverting and hanging 14" and 16" floor toms, via 2 L-arms slid into 2 leg mounts, for years with no issues. It makes for no hassle positioning, is far more solid than a single RIMS or STM mount, AND I can use some of that space for a wedge floor monitor.

Pics:

DW 16" + Straight tube:

Concept Maple 14" and 16" + Curved tube:
    Last edited by Rotarded; 02-21-2015 at 12:07 PM.

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

I thought about doing that too! That is some great information thank you Rotarded

and thank you for supplying photos

User Info Menu

So I called up DW again and with SunDog bring up the older CX kit to my attention, we were able to find some STM brackets at DW! They no longer are in production and discontinued but they have some 14's and 16's left in stock! So they gave me the part numbers:

PDACSTM14CR
    PDACSTM16CR

and now I can order them through any authorized dealer they just have to be special ordered.
    nice i was going to say that I'm pretty sure dw/pdp offers the stm brackets for that like of drums
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

I tried it out on the floor tom last night. I used the floor tom legs on the rack using a standard tom bracket. It was more solid than the three legs! But this was just a fun temporary trial as I ordered actual STM brackets. But thought I would try it.

I experimented with just one leg and it held well but did have a bit of movement. So I added the second mount and it's solid as a rock.

User Info Menu

Good deal!

I had no idea that a 16" rims mount would be so difficult to find until I just did a bunch of googling with hardly any sort of helpful results.

I guess that no one is doing a 16" suspension mounts any more. I have my 16" floor tom on a rims mount. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Good deal!

I had no idea that a 16" rims mount would be so difficult to find until I just did a bunch of googling with hardly any sort of helpful results.

I guess that no one is doing a 16" suspension mounts any more. I have my 16" floor tom on a rims mount. Love it.
    crazy right?! I found 14"s all day long.

User Info Menu

These finally came in to guitar center for me! Now I'm just waiting for GC to ship to my house. A 14" and 16" STM mount

User Info Menu

Remind me again...what's the matter with floor toms having legs? I always thought that's why they were called floor toms. They rest on the floor via legs.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Remind me again...what's the matter with floor toms having legs? I always thought that's why they were called floor toms. They rest on the floor via legs.

all the best...
    It can make setting up slightly quicker if they're mounted to a rack. I don't think it's a major difference, just a few seconds, but if you have a really large kit then every second counts.

User Info Menu

Makes sense but don't they jiggle a bit when you hit them?

all the best...

User Info Menu

all the best...
    Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    It can make setting up slightly quicker if they're mounted to a rack. I don't think it's a major difference, just a few seconds, but if you have a really large kit then every second counts.
    Makes sense but don't they jiggle a bit when you hit them?

all the best...

We are playing 2 sometimes 3 times a week. That is a lot of unpack/setup/repack and repeat... anything I can do to speed up the process I'll take it. Also, this makes guarantee my setup will be the same each and every time.
    And no they don't wiggle seeing as how they are on 6 of the 8 lugs. Extremely secure!

User Info Menu

Here is he finished install. Can't wait to put them on the rack this week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rotarded View Post
    A little late to the party, but I've been inverting and hanging 14" and 16" floor toms, via 2 L-arms slid into 2 leg mounts, for years with no issues. It makes for no hassle positioning, is far more solid than a single RIMS or STM mount, AND I can use some of that space for a wedge floor monitor.

Pics:

DW 16" + Straight tube:

Concept Maple 14" and 16" + Curved tube:
    Yeah, I've done this too. Works really well.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

Here are the new floor toms converted to rack toms setup finished

User Info Menu

Here are the new floor toms converted to rack toms setup finished

Buddy, I thought you were going to lower that sidebar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    Buddy, I thought you were going to lower that sidebar?

I actually came up with an idea and I hope to try it out this next week.... I did have the bar low until my STM mounts came. :/

User Info Menu

I actually came up with an idea and I hope to try it out this next week.... I did have the bar low until my STM mounts came. :/
    Well if you rotate the clamp 180 degrees, you could lower the bar about 5 or 6 inches.

User Info Menu

Something like this ? Thats what im trying to do, im getting a gibralter bar and having it go between of my heavy stands, basically creating a rack without spending $200+ I will be using their universal mount but having it on the underside so the heavy toms i have will rest on it and not bend anything.
    Good luck.
    "The most important thing you can do is follow your dreams"- The Rev- foREVer