Thread: PA for e-drums? Is there a way?

User Info Menu

Default PA for e-drums? Is there a way?

Hi fellow drummers

I am into converting my Traps A400 to a full e-kit mainly for noise reasons because I live in an apartment. Until now I practice only in reasonable hours (morning/afternoon) with of course muting pads in cymbals and mesh heads in toms/kick. I am seeking to buy some e-cymbals to completly mute my drums but just need to hear in very low volume what I play. So, I am looking for alternatives to drum amps as I need only a small percent of the power that drum amps have and because the budget is tight I'm considering not buying one. Another problem is the space that a drum amp will take, as the room I currently have my drums is allready full...
    I was hoping to build a hi-fi speaker and connect it to pc but I don't know which of them have the desired specifications for drums (JBL, Celestion) or should I look for other solution to my problem?
    If someone ask, no I won't use the speaker for other purposes, it will be drum dedicated

Thanks
    Drums Traps A400 with rack
    Cymbals all Meinl
    Raker 14" HH
    Raker 20" heavy and 21" medium Rides
    Raker 16" medium & heavy crashes
    MB10 17" china
    Lightning 10" splash

Hardware: DW 5002 twin pedal, DW 9000 HH stand and Pearl BR-2000 stool, Adam CS-90 x1 cymbal boom stand

User Info Menu

Default Re: PA for e-drums? Is there a way?

Corsair, if you're looking to build a speaker cabinet, then you'll have to pay attention to the speaker's frequency response to get a good drum sound. To get the bass drum's low end, you'll want to get a frequency response that goes down to the 50-100 Hz range. In many live instances, getting that range will be left up to a spearate subwoofer.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Why not use headphones?

If you will need speakers, though, you will need to build something with a built in power amp.

I suggest posing your question on the Parts Express speaker building forum. The good folks there are quite nice and more than willing to help you design a proper speaker: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ech-Talk-Forum

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

You need something with a lot of bass for the bass drum and a lot of treble for the cymbal sounds. A small PA or keyboard amp should work.

I have a small PA for my edrums but mostly I practice using small, not very good speakers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    pay attention to the speaker's frequency response to get a good drum sound. To get the bass drum's low end, you'll want to get a frequency response that goes down to the 50-100 Hz range.
    As I said I will not use the e-drums for live perfomance. At this Hz range will the cymbals are going to sound good? I need a speaker with range that can handle both.

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Why not use headphones?
    Cause I've a loss from my right ear of about 70% due to acoustic neurinoma surgery 10 years ago. I am using Vic Firth's isolation headphones only, but most of the time I do practice I want it to be done as silently as it can be

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I suggest posing your question on the Parts Express speaker building forum. The good folks there are quite nice and more than willing to help you design a proper speaker: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ech-Talk-Forum
    That seems to be a what I was looking for. Thanks
    Last edited by corsair; 02-21-2015 at 05:25 PM.
    Drums Traps A400 with rack
    Cymbals all Meinl
    Raker 14" HH
    Raker 20" heavy and 21" medium Rides
    Raker 16" medium & heavy crashes
    MB10 17" china
    Lightning 10" splash

Hardware: DW 5002 twin pedal, DW 9000 HH stand and Pearl BR-2000 stool, Adam CS-90 x1 cymbal boom stand

User Info Menu

If you're convertingbyour kit for noise reasons why not just use headphones?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    If you're convertingbyour kit for noise reasons why not just use headphones?
    Agreed. If your end goal is reduce noise then amplifying the drums seems counter productive. I second the suggestion of buying a good pair of isolation headphones.
    ||Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius||

Pearl Masters Custom - Emerald Mist with gold hardware 12/13/16/22

PDP LX - Cherry Fade
    8/10/12/14/16/22

Zildjian A Custom 16/18/20 1970's 14" New Beat hats
    Sabian 16" Ozone crash

Roland TD-3 and TD-10 A to E Kit.

User Info Menu

I think you could get some amazing results with one of those Bose speaker pole outfits with the small sub woofer. They give the sound a real 3-D quality and gives good bottom end as well as very clear highs.

all the best...