Thread: Rudiments for Drum Set

User Info Menu

Question Rudiments for Drum Set

What is your favorite (or most versatile) rudiment you play on the drum set?

My favorite is the Swiss Triplet. It makes for some very interesting sounds when played on the cymbals, and when working each hand around the set while the other remains on one drum.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rudiments for Drum Set

flam-a-diddles for me

I love flams in a lot of my fills

User Info Menu

I'm trying to perfect the Norwegian backhoe. I kid of course, why , because I have no idea what a Swiss triplet is. I've never been one for rudiments. Never been able to sit down and learn or practice them ever in 40 years playing. I made an attempt early on, but just couldn't do it. I had the book with all the rudiments, I would get started and after ten minutes I'd be off playing whatever I felt like on the kit. I must have had rudiment A.D.D. back then. I guess if I had of stuck with it I would have excelled a lot faster, but hey I got there eventually.

I know I use them in my playing , I just don't know what they are. I'm drumming illiterate. I've always learned drumming by hearing. I hear it, I play it.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 02-22-2015 at 06:28 AM.

User Info Menu

I like the Norwegian Backhoe...
    I get the A D D comment... sometimes it feels like I am in the Department of Redundancy Department. Try playing this sticking pattern on different instruments. It may put some like into the rudiment. Check out the music by following the link

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/321303754641724501/

User Info Menu

Paradiddles.
    One of the most versatile rudiments on a drumset that can give you funk,fusion ,latin,prog and rock.

Listen to Peart and Gadd,most of their patterns are based on the paradiddle.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Anderson View Post
    Got a sound file for this? That would help...a lot.
    Thankx

"I'm trying to perfect the Norwegian backhoe." LOL
    Last edited by slinglander; 02-22-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added comment
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Lots of swiss triplets. they sound beautiful when I play along to Led zep. And I use flams a lot in fills.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

just youtube searched swiss triplet.. I must have spaced on that cause oh lord I do those all the time.. can't believe I didn't remember what that was called

User Info Menu

RLRRLL but I don't know what it's called, don't think it's a real rudiment but it works well on the toms(as does LRLLRR) when paired with a flam.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    RLRRLL but I don't know what it's called, don't think it's a real rudiment but it works well on the toms(as does LRLLRR) when paired with a flam.
    They're called paradiddle diddles. I love them. Especially the way Gavin Harrison uses them in his tom fills.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Try using this variation

RLLRRL

I think this one get real interesting when you play it over 8th note triplets, and then play it as a six stroke roll. There is a subtle difference and one worth mastering to add that something extra to your groove

Enjoy my friends, and Get More Gooder

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Paradiddles.
    One of the most versatile rudiments on a drumset that can give you funk,fusion ,latin,prog and rock.

Listen to Peart and Gadd,most of their patterns are based on the paradiddle.
    Check a song from 1982 called "I Know There's Something Going On" by Frida. I am not sure but I think Phil Collins recorded the drum track. It definitely has that Phil Collins sound to it. The entire song is built on a paradiddle between the bass and snare drum: nicely executed ghost stroke on the "a" of the paradiddle too.

To all,
    What song's paradiddle sticks out the most to you?

User Info Menu

On the Ginger Baker Video on youtube he taught that there are four ways to play the single paradiddle. Rlrr Lrll , Rllr Lrrl ,Rrlr Llrl,Rlrl Lrlr<----this last one is tricky go slow lol.
    On the very first page of "Stick Control" all these patterns are listed I noticed
    So it's been around since the dawn of time. But what's cool is the pattern of taking the first note and making it the last note played.that's being applied to blow the paradiddle wide open by inverting these patterns.

This same thing is done to the paradiddle diddles RLRRLL you then take the first beat and make it the last beat and you have the 6 stroke roll LRRLLR like ya'll said it's cool to mix these together. and I also mix this one in with them.
    I don't know what you call this. It reminds me of outro part of "Iron Man" but Bill Ward is playing like RLR LRL 16th note triplet pattern when counting it but is it a rudiment does it have a name?

All these and Mummy Daddys combined with single strokes is what I have been playing.

User Info Menu

I have no idea what I play. I know I use a lot of para diddle type patterns, but I don't consciously plan it out. If I try to think about what I'm playing, I screw it up. Kinda like a golf swing, I guess ....which probably explains why I'm so sloppy. I really need to work on rudiments. If nothing else, it would improve my stick control.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    On the Ginger Baker Video on youtube he taught that there are four ways to play the single paradiddle. Rlrr Lrll , Rllr Lrrl ,Rrlr Llrl,Rlrl Lrlr<----this last one is tricky go slow lol.
    On the very first page of "Stick Control" all these patterns are listed I noticed
    So it's been around since the dawn of time. But what's cool is the pattern of taking the first note and making it the last note played.that's being applied to blow the paradiddle wide open by inverting these patterns.

This same thing is done to the paradiddle diddles RLRRLL you then take the first beat and make it the last beat and you have the 6 stroke roll LRRLLR like ya'll said it's cool to mix these together. and I also mix this one in with them.
    I don't know what you call this. It reminds me of outro part of "Iron Man" but Bill Ward is playing like RLR LRL 16th note triplet pattern when counting it but is it a rudiment does it have a name?

All these and Mummy Daddys combined with single strokes is what I have been playing.
    Love the Ginger video.

User Info Menu

I love Carter's use of Double Paradiddles in the Dave Matthews Band song "Drive In Drive Out" Carter works his double paradiddles between the Ride Cymbal, Hi Hats and the Snare. He plays open instead of crossed so he starts with the left hand so his right hand is playing the snare on 2 and 4. Check this video at 3:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3LyzJVAlJM

Also, put on the headphones and listen to the original on Crash and you can clearly hear the double paradiddles... listen real closely to Dave's comment right after the last note is played too