Thread: May Be Purchasing a New Drum Set

User Info Menu

Default May Be Purchasing a New Drum Set

I don't know about you guys, but I go through periods of interest or non-interest with each of my many hobbies. Last summer I literally burned myself out on two of my favorite hobbies - speaker building and motorcycling. Since finding Drum Chat.com, my musical interests have been piqued and heavily fertilized. So, until I burn myself out on performance music again, I'll be pouring my time and interest (and VERY limited funds) into performance music.

This renewed interest will take two forms:
    1) Acquiring and learning to play a bass guitar. A few years ago I took lessons for piano and six string guitar, but neither of these instruments have drawn my devotion like bass guitar. After checking over on-line recommendations and playing dozens of basses, I've decided I want my first choice: a Rickenbacker 4003. Since i don't have $2000 to drop into a bass guitar, though, I am going to buy (Lord willing) a Chinabacker 4003.

2) I've never owned more than one drumset at a time, and I want to experience that. So far I've owned (in rough order):
    1. Late sixties Kent drumset, made in Japan (MIJ)
    2. Four piece Ludwig Classic, 1976
    3. Seven piece CB700 in Wine Red wrap (essentially Pearl Exports) w/one of the early CB700 Free Floating Snare Drum, 6.5X14 maple shell
    4. Four Piece Ludwig Classic, circa 1964
    5. Five piece set of blue Pearl Exports
    6. Five piece set of brushed chrome Tama Rockstars
    7. Four piece set of Ludwig Classic, c.1964 again
    7.5 Five piece set of Yamaha Stage Customs in natural gloss
    8. Seven piece set of Yamaha Recording Customs (birch)
    9. Seven piece set of Mapex Saturn Pro in natural maple gloss
    10. Four piece set of Yamaha Maple Customs
    11. Seven piece set of Pacific CX Maples in white pearl (current kit)

So, I've had a good exposure to a good mix of brands. After lots of deliberation, playing demo sets, and listening to review on the internet, I've narrowed my next set down to two kits:

1. Gretsch Renown, two up, two down

or

2. Tama Starclassic Performer B/B, two up, two down

So what? Because I would love to hear your personal experiences or opinions on these two sets. I'm leaning right now to buying the Gretsch Renown.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Default Re: May Be Purchasing a New Drum Set

I don't have any experiences with those two specifically but I also agree about the burning out of hobbies.. I was big into drums for years then just gave it all up after a big accident and turned to cars. Now I'm burnt out of cars and back into drumming.

I myself owned a Tama kit years ago and wish I would have kept it. Never owned a Gretsch but I know the Gretsch crowd is a strong opinionated crowd who loves their brand.

User Info Menu

I really like your CX set the most. I don't have anything really negative to say about Gretsch or Tama. If I had to chose one I guess I'd chose the B/B. For me neither of these sets does what I like, though they are both capable. I like very thin maple shells (.12") with 45 degree edges. Painted interiors, 30 degree edges and hybrid shells are just not my thing. To me your CX kit is a gem. Those Made in Ensenada shells are very high qualty.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

When I started playing drums 2 and a half years ago, I started with an entry level kit (Ddrum D2). After playing on that for a few months, I decided it was time to upgrade. After lots of research, I was on the fence between 2 kits: Gretsch Catalina Club and Tama Silverstar Hyper-drive. I ended up going with the Tama kit, mainly because I had heard such good things about Tama's hardware. I still have that kit today, and I love everything about it. Since then, I've had a couple other kits as well, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of the Silverstars. I had a Yamaha Stage Custom, and a Premier Olympic kit that I bought cheap, cleaned up and sold for a small profit. Then I came across a mid-2000's Tama Superstar kit, which is now my favorite.

So I guess I gotta recommend the Tama kit.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

I don't really have much to say about what kind of drums to buy. I'm more of a lifer. I find something I really like, drop the bucks and stick with it. (Like my wife and my Martin acoustic LOL))
    I've been playing the same USA Gretsch drums I bought in 1983. Never really had a serious itch for anything else. That is not an endorsement of any kind. That's for me. They come through for me every time I sit down behind them. I'm sure that level of satisfaction could be found in any brand of drums.

I hear you though, about the ups and downs of hobbies. I probably would have let drums slip by now. I owe a lot to Drum Chat. The discussions on here have kept me motivated a lot. It's just so much easier to pick up an acoustic guitar because you can do that just about any time any where. I really do need to find some other interests though. Music has always been such a part of my life that I've never really learned to do much else.

Bass is a great choice. I love the sound of really solid bass playing. If I had another life to live I would love to learn the upright bass, jazz style.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 02-23-2015 at 12:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    I really like your CX set the most. I don't have anything really negative to say about Gretsch or Tama. If I had to chose one I guess I'd chose the B/B. For me neither of these sets does what I like, though they are both capable. I like very thin maple shells (.12") with 45 degree edges. Painted interiors, 30 degree edges and hybrid shells are just not my thing. To me your CX kit is a gem. Those Made in Ensenada shells are very high qualty.
    Thanks for all the responses, guys. I'm glad to know there are others out there who cycle through their hobbies. I guess music and motorcycling are my two devotions that have never waned. Since age ten-ish I've always had a motorcycle and a drumset under roof. I'm seriously thinking, though, that the motorcycle days may be closing due to health issues. Riding is now more painful than pleasurable.

Back to drums, though. Thanks for the remarks about the CX kit, SunDog. That kit will be going nowhere. I am very satisifed with the CX , so adding another kit has nothing to do with being bummed out on my present set. Knowing me, I will buy another kit just to satisfy my curiosity, then sell it and move on to something else.

Something else I forgot to mention, any "new" kit I buy will be used. Not only am I relatively poor, but there are just too many great kits at great prices on the market for me to even consider buying new. Last week I ran across a used 5-piece black Recording Custom set with SKB hard cases for $1200. A very good deal, but I've already owned RCs. Then I saw a local seller had a six-piece Renown kit in perfect condition for $650. Just what I was looking for, but no money right now. In my world, I have to sell something in order to buy something, and I've yet to sell something. Lost out.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I would get the renown but only an RN1 version with the new improved rack mounts. Other than that I would pass on both of them due to the rack tom mounts. They both sound very good though and it really would be a toss up if you don't mind the mounts.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    When I started playing drums 2 and a half years ago, I started with an entry level kit (Ddrum D2). After playing on that for a few months, I decided it was time to upgrade. After lots of research, I was on the fence between 2 kits: Gretsch Catalina Club and Tama Silverstar Hyper-drive. I ended up going with the Tama kit, mainly because I had heard such good things about Tama's hardware. I still have that kit today, and I love everything about it. Since then, I've had a couple other kits as well, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of the Silverstars. I had a Yamaha Stage Custom, and a Premier Olympic kit that I bought cheap, cleaned up and sold for a small profit. Then I came across a mid-2000's Tama Superstar kit, which is now my favorite.

So I guess I gotta recommend the Tama kit.
    Powertrip240, I can't believe how similar we started out. I started with a DdrumD2 kit as well. I started that way because I didn't want to make a big investment only to find out I judt didn't have what it took to be a drummer. It only took a couple of months for me to realize I could do it, and it was tons of fun. That's when I made the investment in a better kit (Gretsch Catalina Maple).

As to moving back and forth between hobbies, I've pretty much had plenty of hobbies down through the years, and it's all about music for me now. I do play the guitar, as well as the drums, and I am starting to learn how to play piano/keyboard.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    As to moving back and forth between hobbies, I've pretty much had plenty of hobbies down through the years, and it's all about music for me now. I do play the guitar, as well as the drums, and I am starting to learn how to play piano/keyboard.
    Glad to hear you are learning another instrument. I wish my mama had whipped me and made me learn to play piano. I would have hated it at the time, but being able to play keyboards opens up a new world of possibilities.

LIKE THE HAMMOND B3!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm selling off some gear soon in order to buy a bass. I need something to sing to other than the mysterious tunes in my head.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

My vote goes for the Renown, I was split between the PDP double drive and the Gretsch Catalina Maple two years ago, and I went for the PDP, it was a step up from what I had (no name percussion company) but I've always thought I should've gone with the Catalina Maple, I'm looking at selling the PDP and buying a Renown seems like a solid kit. I haven't had experience with the Tama but their website doesn't appear to be mobile friendly(I'm using a 1st gen IPad so that might also be it).
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Glad to hear you are learning another instrument. I wish my mama had whipped me and made me learn to play piano. I would have hated it at the time, but being able to play keyboards opens up a new world of possibilities.

LIKE THE HAMMOND B3!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm selling off some gear soon in order to buy a bass. I need something to sing to other than the mysterious tunes in my head.

GeeDeeEmm
    I get impressed easily with just about any well played instrument. When I see someone who can really handle the piano/keyboards, I'm thinking...shoot! I wish I could do that.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Not any help here on your kit selection, but the concept of multiple hobbies...I'm right there with ya! I was into motorcycles (but can't ride anymore, due to physical things, so sold the last bike), multiple musical instruments (bass, guitar, keyboard, and drums, NONE of which can I play even badly...), plastic scale models (tanks and airplanes), and portrait photography. I have more equipment associated with all these hobbies than anyone should have, even if they were completely devoted to only ONE of them!!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I am like kay-gee a lifer. I had a Pearl kit in the 60's but unfortunately had to let them go for personal reasons. Now I play another Pearl kit and this one is a lifer unless I sell which sometimes is tempting as I have picked up a guitar and seem to enjoy it more than my drums sorry to say.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Not any help here on your kit selection, but the concept of multiple hobbies...I'm right there with ya! I was into motorcycles (but can't ride anymore, due to physical things, so sold the last bike), multiple musical instruments (bass, guitar, keyboard, and drums, NONE of which can I play even badly...), plastic scale models (tanks and airplanes), and portrait photography. I have more equipment associated with all these hobbies than anyone should have, even if they were completely devoted to only ONE of them!!
    You're not alone. I think having multiple interests is good, but there comes a point where you get too many irons in the fire and you can't do justice to any particular one. I've been a Gearhead since birth and have multiple project cars and a huge building full of parts and tools. Since I started messing around with drums, I now spend most free time in the basement tinkering on an old kit. Since I started playing a little guitar, Im now toying with the idea of building a custom guitar. Then there's always the house which is in a constant state of remodeling. I'm certain that if I won the lottery, I would spend it all on old cars (that don't run), drums, parts and tools.....and another building to store them all until I die.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    You're not alone. I think having multiple interests is good, but there comes a point where you get too many irons in the fire and you can't do justice to any particular one. I've been a Gearhead since birth and have multiple project cars and a huge building full of parts and tools. Since I started messing around with drums, I now spend most free time in the basement tinkering on an old kit. Since I started playing a little guitar, Im now toying with the idea of building a custom guitar. Then there's always the house which is in a constant state of remodeling. I'm certain that if I won the lottery, I would spend it all on old cars (that don't run), drums, parts and tools.....and another building to store them all until I die.
    Oh my! This is sounding all too familiar. Glad I'm not the only one. I guess we should start a new thread featuring pictures of all the other hobbies we are all into. It would give us all a lot more familiarity and comraderie with each other.

OK. Look for the new thread and let's start posting pictures. I'll start the thread in the Off Topic heading in the More Topics section.

Help me out here. This could be very interesting.

GeeDeeEmm