Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splash cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Splash cymbals

I use 8" and 10" wuhan splashes. Love them, especially with double bass. My 8" is over my hi hats, 10" under my crash on the right. What splashes do you have and where do you have them?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Splash cymbals

I have a 8" Stagg Furia, a 10" Stagg DH and a 12" Zildjian ZXT - they are forgotten and living in a cymbal bag somewhere. Must dig out them out sometime.
    I like the 8" the 10" is ok but sustains a bit too long - the 12" is more like a small crash.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 02-24-2015 at 08:55 PM. Reason: forgot something

User Info Menu

I have a 10" Wuhan. I'm so impressed with it, I'm planning on buying new Wuhan 14" and 16" crashes. I actually use my 10" splash as a primary crash for low volume, acoustic gigs and for the Bluegrass based songs we do. After the first set, we get into more Rockabilly and Blues, so I swap it out for a 16" crash and move the splash to a boom arm. I can't say enough good things about the Wuhan splash. It feels thin as paper, but I've beat the day lights out of it for almost 2 years......still not even hardly a mark on it. It has the perfect splash sound with just a slight hint of dark-n--trashy. It looks great, sounds great, tough as nails and costs less than a 5Lb package of ground beef. What more can you ask for?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

8" Wuhan Splash
    10" Sabian B8 Pro Splash

Love them above my hats and below my crashes. It really brings plenty of possibilities.

How do you like your 8" Wuhan? Personally I can't believe how good it sounds!

User Info Menu

10" Meinl Byzance Traditional splash. A glorious cymbal. I have it between my hats and first rack tom.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Five Magics View Post

8" Wuhan Splash
    10" Sabian B8 Pro Splash

Love them above my hats and below my crashes. It really brings plenty of possibilities.

How do you like your 8" Wuhan? Personally I can't believe how good it sounds!
    That's a cool placement of your splashes. I can see a lot more possibilities for them there. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the idea.

I'm needing another 10" splash to use inside my china. With this much praise for the Wuhan splashes, I'll need to get one and see for myself.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

On my main gig kit I run a 10" Sabian XS and it's to the left of my hi-hat and sits over my popcorn snare drum

Last edited by SpazApproved; 02-25-2015 at 07:50 AM.

User Info Menu

I don't often use a splash in my current band but, when I do, my trusty Sabian AAX 10" never disappoints. Perfect accent cymbal. I have the 12" version too but this is less good. I think anything beyond 10" may take the cymbal in to small crash territory so ends up being a little 'gongy' for what I want out of a splash.

When I do use it, it usually sits just above my hi-hats in the space before my first crash.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I play in a loud rock/old school metal band, a splash just doesnt cut through. The smallest cymbal I run is a 14" thin Wuhan.

User Info Menu

I have a 10" Zildjian A and a 8" (or 6"?) Sabian AA splash.

Where are they?

I think one is on the shelf in my basement, and the other is in my cymbal case.

I still play with an A Custom splash at church, but I don't like it. I'd love to get another crash in its place; however, I really don't have the money. I've also learned my lesson about getting rid of stuff that I'll eventually need again.

User Info Menu

I'm running 3 wide right now on splashes. I gigged with one. 3 is just for fun home use. I love small paper thin splashes. The 9" Max Splash is incredible.

The 9" is over the hats, the 11" Max Spash over the small tom and the 10" china splash over the 12" tom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I play in a loud rock/old school metal band, a splash just doesnt cut through. The smallest cymbal I run is a 14" thin Wuhan.
    Is it a true Thin crash or a Medium Thin? How do you like it?
    I ask because I'm considering buying a Wuhan 14" crash. GC and MF carry the Medium-Thin ones, but I can buy the true Thin crashes from other on-line retailers. I'm curious if the Wuhan Medium Thins are actually closer to the Thins from the major manufacturers.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    My 9" wasn't loud enough for gigs. I used the 11" or 10". I recorded with the 10" china splash.

User Info Menu

Its thin, and has a trashy sound with great attack and not much sustain.

User Info Menu

I use 4 regular splashes as well as a china splash and a few in stacks.
    There are 3 8" splashes (2 Sabian SR2 with different pitches, one Zildjian K). Two of these are mounted on 4" stackers over crashes, the other over my last splash, a 10" Sabian SR2 (refurbished HHX). The china splash is on a stacker over another crash but I think I'm going to move it over my 18" china instead. I have a Wuhan 11" splash as part of a stack, and a Dream 10" Contact splash as part of another.
    I have owned 8", 10", and 12" Wuhan splashes and still own the 11" as mentioned above. They do vary a lot. The 8" was clangy and thicker though I've heard recordings of some beautiful-sounding ones. The 10" was very nice. The 11" is decent, and the 12" was also excellent although it was definitely more of a crash, and was too bright for me. The older Wuhan splashes are also great if you can pick them out by hand.

User Info Menu

This is the current setup in my practice studio---I lease studio time to 2 other bands besides mine, and everyone plays my kit as-is (Meinl 13 hats, 10 splash, 14, 16 crashes, Zildjian 20 ride, and Wuhan 18 china

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    I have a 10" Zildjian A and a 8" (or 6"?) Sabian AA splash.

Where are they?

I think one is on the shelf in my basement, and the other is in my cymbal case.
    I guess I need to own up, too. Even though I have my 10" Sabian AA mounted on my kit, it's there just because I like the look. It just never fit in with the mostly pop/rock/country covers that I've always played.

And that brings me to the cool placement I noted above, on either side of the hi hat. I can see how I could use splashes as accents in that position. Just incorporate them into the hi hat pattern.

Time to try it.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I guess I need to own up, too. Even though I have my 10" Sabian AA mounted on my kit, it's there just because I like the look. It just never fit in with the mostly pop/rock/country covers that I've always played.

And that brings me to the cool placement I noted above, on either side of the hi hat. I can see how I could use splashes as accents in that position. Just incorporate them into the hi hat pattern.

Time to try it.

GeeDeeEmm
    I like to ride a splash doing 1/4 notes in a nice heavy breakdown....and accents as well.

User Info Menu

I have three splashes that I like to use, usually only two at any given time. The splash that is always on the kit is a 10in AAX air splash. I love it's slightly trashy tone. The other two are a HH 10in and a A custom 10in. The A custom has a higher pitch and cuts better in live situations, the HH has a darker tone that sounds better on recordings.

User Info Menu

I have 4 Zildjian splashes. A 6" A Custom, 8" K, 10" K and a 10" ZBT.

Hands down 8" K Splash is the best splash I've ever played.

User Info Menu

My over kill of a fun kit has 4 splashes, a couple splash effect cymbals, two maxx stacks and a splash china

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    My over kill of a fun kit has 4 splashes, a couple splash effect cymbals, two maxx stacks and a splash china

awesome set up!

User Info Menu

The most beautiful sounding splash is the Zildjian K Hybrid...I have the 9" and I get compliments all the time. It's a bright splash that cuts through anything. She sits to the left above my hi hat.

User Info Menu

I use an 11" 'bottom-shelf' splash. It's cheap, loud, and nasty - just the way I like 'em.

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    I use an 11" 'bottom-shelf' splash. It's cheap, loud, and nasty - just the way I like 'em.

Tex
    hahaha I bought a Sabian Solar Splash because it wasn't selling in the store and they just basically gave it to me to get rid of it. It's AWFUL and I love it also.