Thread: Do You...........

User Info Menu

Default Do You...........

I have started inventorying my music equipment. Not just "I have one of these and three of these", but, a really detailed inventory. I am including sizes and part numbers if available along with MSRP on each piece. Also serial numbers if available. Has anyone else gotten this specific and if so why?
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do You...........

Quote Originally Posted by tamashane View Post
    I have started inventorying my music equipment. Not just "I have one of these and three of these", but, a really detailed inventory. I am including sizes and part numbers if available along with MSRP on each piece. Also serial numbers if available. Has anyone else gotten this specific and if so why?
    I haven't but I probably should, we lost a building to a fire back in September and having something like that would've been really helpful to show the insurance company that "yes that puddle of plastic really is my internal frame backpack" and "no I will not replace it with a $20 school backpack when it was $100". It's good thinking, I'm just a little too lazy to actually do it.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

I took a photograph of each of my cymbals, my shell packs, snares, individual hardware items, drum cases, bags, doo dads etc when I realised just how much drum stuff I have accumulated in the last few years and how difficult it would be to list accurately should I lose them.

I stored the pics on my computer - without bothering to back up the files - and sent the whole lot to electronic heaven when my computer suffered a catastrophic sense of humour failure a few months ago.

I must do it again, if I lost my stuff and had to make an insurance claim there is no way I'd be able to remember - it can be surprising just how many small, relatively low cost, drum related items you can accumulate, and how big a hole they will put in your wallet if you have to replace them

User Info Menu

I haven't gone that far in to detail, but I have created a spreadsheet for my cymbals. It has the size, make and model of each cymbal, along with where I bought it, and the price I paid. It was kinda depressing after I totaled up the dollar amount!
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

I thought about doing that for insurance reasons. Most of my stuff is low budget or used, so it has no significant value. I'd say $2000 to replace it all at most.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I've done it but it's been a few years back. Should probably do it again... for insurance especially as the others have mentioned.

User Info Menu

I've done it for insurance purposes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamashane View Post
    I have a list similar for my insurance company. It's part of my home owners policy. It my house burns down or if I get robbed, I get a check for the full retail value of all my gear.

User Info Menu

I don't even want to know how much I truly own.......

User Info Menu

The reason most of you have given is the reason I started doing this. I started thinking of a fire or robbery, even theft from a show. I, like many others, have accumulated much equipment in the past few years. Pa system, lights, everything I would need to do a nice show. I think after reading Crispycritter's post, I will either print a hard copy or put the files on a disc. Maybe both!!!!
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

I haven't written everything down, but every once in a while, I'll take pictures of everything and put them on a flash drive for insurance purposes.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Yeah, so my wife can find it? If that were to happen, the only insurance I would be concerned with is my medical coverage!