Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 10 Best Drummers of All Time

User Info Menu

Default Re: 10 Best Drummers of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I think I derived my playing style from every drummer in every band and song that I heard growing up. Most of them I couldn't even name without researching. If I was to pick one that was probably the most influential for me, it would be Artimus Pyle....because I listened to a ton of Skynyrd at the time I started playing.

The second most influential would be Neil Diamond's long time drummer and musical director, Dennis St. John. Not because of his playing style, but because of what he told me. Dennis was born in my home town, and his mother lived a few blocks from me. He would visit his mom on occasion, and I met him one night at a local restaurant/bar. We were the only two guys in the place; he was eating a bowl of soup and I was drinking Jack & Coke. I had no clue who he was at first, but when the bartender told him I was a drummer, his face lit up. We had a long and wonderful conversation about playing drums, and he told me stories of his experiences playing and recording. When we discussed drumming styles, I told him (almost apologetically) that I was just a simple pocket player. Up to that point, I thought that being a "good drummer" was a physical attribute. It meant playing fancy fills and fast, complicated beats. He was the first person to ever explain to me that being truly "good" was mental....playing for the music and that "less can be more". Coming from him, I took it to heart. It gave me the confidence to play and not worry about what others think. Were it not for that personal conversation 20yrs ago with Mr. St. John, I would probably not be playing drums today. I never ran into him again, but I wish I had. Dennis passed away in 2012.

WOW what a great story Brian, thanks for sharing that.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    WOW what a great story Brian, thanks for sharing that.
    Glad you enjoyed it. I've always remembered and thought about from time to time. It's sad that I never realized the full impact it had on me until the last few years. I REALLY wish I had appreciated how special an opportunity it was and somehow stayed in touch with him. He continued to visit the same bar several times a year, every year. Only a handful of people even knew who he was and his accomplishments. To most, he was just the polite friendly gentleman with a ponytail that showed up in town every few months. I would give anything to be able to talk with him again...to discuss drumming on now a more technical level and let him know how a few hours of impromptu conversation with a stranger had such a profound effect. It sounds kind of corny, but even having played on something like 50 gold & platinum albums, I think he would have appreciated it.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

1. Peart
    2. Moon
    3. Steve Smith
    4. Nick Mason
    5. Buddy Rich
    6. The Rev
    7. Nigel Olsson
    8. Alex Van Halen
    9. Phil Collins
    10. Zak Starkey