Thread: PDP Tension Rods and Hoops

User Info Menu

Default PDP Tension Rods and Hoops

So I recently got a great deal on an LP 18"x22" Aluminum surdo and hate the tuning system that it has, so I plan to drill it for standard lugs and tension rods. I have a bunch lying around from a PDP CX tom, but I don't have an 18" drum hoop. So, can anyone confirm that PDP tension rods will work with any standard drum hoop? I'd probably get one from Cannon or Gibraltar, doesn't need to be anything special, just something that works. I'd rather not spend unnecessary money buying a DW product if something cheaper will fit.

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP Tension Rods and Hoops

They will work

User Info Menu

Aren't PDP rods fine thread, like DW (i.e. Tru-pitch)?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

They seem thinner than standard rods. So if DW's are as well then yeah, most likely.

User Info Menu

Yeah, but the rods will still work fine with the HOOP, just not necessarily the lugs.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by metallitroy View Post
    Yeah, but the rods will still work fine with the HOOP, just not necessarily the lugs.
    Yep, the OP didnt ask about the lugs.

User Info Menu

If the rods are from a CX tom then they will be pretty standard and not DW's tru-pitch ones which find there way on to PDP models such as the concept series.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Question. What's wrong with the tuning system on the surdo? Is it single tension?

all the best...

User Info Menu

The rods will work with the hoops just fine. Just gotta make sure to use PDP/DW lugs to match thread pitch.

As far as Surdo drums I guess that depends on who made it. From some google searching each company makes them differently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Yep, the OP didnt ask about the lugs.
    I have the lugs already...it's a complete 12" tom someone gave me. I was going to buy new lugs and rods for the surdo and then remembered I had this drum lying around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Question. What's wrong with the tuning system on the surdo? Is it single tension?

all the best...
    It would probably be easier with a picture but basically the surdo has no lugs at all. The tension rods span the entire length of the shell and are exposed. These rods connect to both the bottom and top rims. The bottom head is not adjustable at all at least if you want it tuned differently than the top head. There are little washers on the bottom rim that are supposed to secure the rods on that end, but a few keep popping out. I'd fix them, and once the drum was tuned up to a reasonable tension (still very loose), they'd pop out again and the rod would come completely out of the bottom rim, making the tuning a lot more uneven than it already was. It also is even more of a pain when installing a 2-ply head (it came with thin LP single-ply heads, which did not sound very good).

User Info Menu

Yep. Single tension. They can potentially sound great. Huge resonating sound. Shame that you have those mechanical issues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I have the lugs already...it's a complete 12" tom someone gave me. I was going to buy new lugs and rods for the surdo and then remembered I had this drum lying around.
    Just make sure the number of holes on the hoops match the number of lugs you have.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Just make sure the number of holes on the hoops match the number of lugs you have.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Then, make sure they all line up before drilling.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    If the rods are from a CX tom then they will be pretty standard and not DW's tru-pitch ones which find there way on to PDP models such as the concept series.

Just for the record, the PDP CX-series lug inserts and t-rods are DW Tru-Pitch, not standard thread.

GeeDeeEmm