Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Hat spacing

User Info Menu

Default Hi Hat spacing

I finally got my drum set about a week ago! I knew i'd love it but I'm addicted now. I have a question about hi hat spacing. I've messed around with it but just cant seem to find the right gap. Do any of you have any suggestions or tips?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hi Hat spacing

what exactly do you mean, where the HH is in relation to the snare/toms ect or how much space should there be between the two cymbals of the HH?

welcome to DC and drumming, you've taken your first step in a larger world
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

read > me

I have a small gap.. 1/2"
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 03-27-2015 at 08:05 AM.

User Info Menu

My hhts have a 1 inch gap between them open. This way you have an inch play when opening and closing the hats. Also my top hat is kind of lose just like a cymbal on your stand. Hope this helps and experiment is the key.

User Info Menu

I mean the spacing in between the top and bottom hi hat.

...and thank you for the warm welcome. Like I said I can already tell I'm going to love it here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarsh View Post
    I mean the spacing in between the top and bottom hi hat.

...and thank you for the warm welcome. Like I said I can already tell I'm going to love it here!
    Some guys like lots. I prefer a short travel. 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Something like that.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I like a small gap like 1/2 an inch. That way when I play an open hat groove I dont have to think about holding my foot in a certain position.

User Info Menu

yea, as pearl said, just experiment with it, sometimes you'll want a lot of room to play with, sometimes not.

Also depends on your skill level, if you're just starting you might not have a good feel for how much you should put your foot down on it to get the sound you want. Also depends on the type of music you want to play, how much you use your LF ect ect...hence just play with it and have fun!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

Small gapper here too.

User Info Menu

I have a really small gap. I like a lot of sizzle when I do my "pea-shups." Plus with the music that I'm playing these days, I don't have any need to have my hats sloshing around a whole lot.

User Info Menu

As you can see, it's all up to personal preference. Find the position you like for the sound you want, and roll with it. Drums are like anything else. Clear or coated heads, single or two ply. Bright or dark for your cymbals. Flat or angled toms. Wood or steel snare. There are many options for everyone to be able to set up their kits just the way they want.
    Mapex Drums / Ludwig Hardware / Sabian Cymbals / Tama Pedals & Hardware / Remo and Aquarian
    Heads /
    Vic Firth Sticks

User Info Menu

I'd never thought about the space between my HH cymbals, so I just measured it. 1-1/2 to 1-3/4." I use my HH a lot as the timekeeper when I play, and I like them to be loud and prominent. I must say, though, that if I'm in a situation where the volume must be lower, I narrow that gap to back off on the HH volume.

And welcome aboard. I'm a newbie, too, and DC is my go-to drum site. Very good people here.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

They are called pies for a reason. 3.1416 cm. No more no less.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
    They are called pies for a reason. 3.1416 cm. No more no less.

I think we might have given a bit of info overload to a beginner, it's like if a 7 year old asked a bunch of philosophers about the meaning of life!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

I prefer barely open. I don't do much work on the hat pedal.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat! Depending on how much tilt is on your hats, you will get a small and a larger. My gap is 3/4" at the larger side.

User Info Menu

About 1/2 inch gap for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post

I think we might have given a bit of info overload to a beginner, it's like if a 7 year old asked a bunch of philosophers about the meaning of life!
    Yeah I have to pace myself on all the info But I'll take all the help and info i can get!

User Info Menu

Probably about 1/2 to 3/4 in.............never really measured, but I know what feels right.

I use my hats quite a bit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat! Depending on how much tilt is on your hats, you will get a small and a larger. My gap is 3/4" at the larger side.
    This....most important, if you tilt. If not then make it so your hat foot doesn't fatigue keeping it open too far.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I stomp my hats' pedal(heel up) so I keep them either open to maximum space or loosen the clutch and leave them closed. My left foot still pumps the pedal when the hats are closed with a loose clutch.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I'd like to go 3/4" wide, but slanted using the hihat adjustment. Slanting the hats gives them a sweet crisp sizzle that every hihat should have.

User Info Menu

Until reading this thread I was unaware that you could adjust the Hi-Hat slant... Now that I know I can, I'm not sure why I'd want to.

I like to have a huge gap, I go about 1+1/2 to 2 inches I prefer to adjust my foot for the sound I'm looking for, I rarely open it all the way.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

1" gap tilted, and x hats a few millimeters for a sizzle sound. I don't sizzle with my mains.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

around an inch space for me. Bottom flat. I use the pedal a lot and sometimes need to readjust and readjust again to get just the right feel I'm use to. 14" Z Custom top with 14" AAX Stage bottom. The last trace of Sabian used on my set up.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN