Thread: Ludwig Bass Drums - What Heads Are You Using?

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig Bass Drums - What Heads Are You Using?

Ever since I got my new C&C kit and hear how amazing the 20x14 bass drum sounds with a Remo Powerstroke 3 for a batter and a coated ambassador reso, with a felt strip on each head, I am looking at my Ludwig bass drum and asking it if it feels a little embarrassed. I still haven't got that drum sounding the way I want. Right now the C&C is blowing it away - it has more depth and character, which is a bit odd as it is smaller than the Ludwig (22x14). I know that Ludwig bass drum has a killer sound in it - just haven't been able to find it yet. All other drums in the kit are sweet (for the toms, the Ludwig heads work very, very well)

I have tried two combinations:

1) Stock Ludwig batter & reso
    2) Evans EMad II batter with Evans EQ3 reso

In both cases, I used a kickport in the reso.

Just wondering what you guys, especially you Ludwig guys, are using for drum heads? My bass drum is a 22x14 Legacy - 3-ply maple/poplar/maple. I would like it to sound similar to the C&C. It has a strong, deep sound that has a lot a 'space' or 'air' to it that really makes it 3-dimensional. But even though it is a powerful sound, the sound decays quickly - no excessive boominess or drawn out decay. It records like a dream . Warm, deep with just the right amount of attack (I don't like a lot - I prefer the older, vintage sound for bass drums, more thud than crack).

Any suggestions any of you have would be greatly appreciated.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Bass Drums - What Heads Are You Using?

On the '67 Ludwig kit with 16"x22" kick is Remo Fiberskyn reso with a Aquarian coated SK I batter with an Evans EQ pillow:

or a Ludwig WeatherMaster mylar heavy reso with an Evans EQ pillow:

Up top on the 9x13" rack tom and 16x16" floor tom are Remo coated vintage Abass/Remo Ebony Abass. The 5x14" Black Beauty has a coated Vintage Emp over Hazy snare side reso.

If I go with a ported bass drum reso, it's a Remo coated WeatherKing with an Evans EQ pillow:

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot late8. I had been thinking of the Fibreskyn for the reso. You have given me some good options think about. I hadn't considered the Evans pillow in the equation.

BTW - that is a very nice looking set of Ludwigs!

User Info Menu

I'm of the opinion...don't go for sameness. Let the Ludwigs sound like Ludwigs and the CC's as CC's. I never could catch the concept of having multiple sets that all sound the same.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Ludwig Classic Maple 16 x 22 kick drum, Evans EQ2 Clear batter, Ludwig Vintage Smooth White Reso, DW 16" pillow ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I'm of the opinion...don't go for sameness. Let the Ludwigs sound like Ludwigs and the CC's as CC's. I never could catch the concept of having multiple sets that all sound the same.

all the best...
    I hear ya Kay-gee. It's not that I necessarily want them to sound exactly the same. I just want the Ludwig to live up to its potential. I just don't think I have it sounding like a Ludwig yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Ludwig Classic Maple 16 x 22 kick drum, Evans EQ2 Clear batter, Ludwig Vintage Smooth White Reso, DW 16" pillow ...
    Thanks dangermonkey. Do you port the reso?

User Info Menu

I recently bought a 1976 Ludwig 22x14 bass drum on the bay. It came with an Evans Emad with the larger muffling ring on the batter side and a Ludwig WeatherMaster db-1000 on the reso side. I tuned the batter to just above wrinkle and the reso side tight with a felt strip. It sounds like a cannon! Lots of boom and sustain. It might be just what you're looking for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joecut View Post
    I recently bought a 1976 Ludwig 22x14 bass drum on the bay. It came with an Evans Emad with the larger muffling ring on the batter side and a Ludwig WeatherMaster db-1000 on the reso side. I tuned the batter to just above wrinkle and the reso side tight with a felt strip. It sounds like a cannon! Lots of boom and sustain. It might be just what you're looking for.
    Thank-you, sir!

User Info Menu

20" Kick drums have an amazing amount of punch. I don't know what it is but they sound amazing. On my 22x20 cs custom, I use a clear ps3 batter, and smooth black ambassador front with port. Front head tuned tight, batter tuned medium loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I like the Emad II and a stock Ludwig or Remo ambassador and felt strip reso for my 20 incher.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I like the Emad II and a stock Ludwig or Remo ambassador and felt strip reso for my 20 incher.

Is that a 20x16? I love that snare!

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Is that a 20x16? I love that snare!
    Thanks FlyByNight. It's a 20x14. The snare 14x10.

User Info Menu

a vid from a few years back of the kit using an LP guiro jam block.

Last edited by Olimpass; 03-31-2015 at 11:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Thanks Olimpass for the feedback. BTW - that is a great looking set of Ludwigs - classic!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    Thanks a lot late8. I had been thinking of the Fibreskyn for the reso. You have given me some good options think about. I hadn't considered the Evans pillow in the equation.

BTW - that is a very nice looking set of Ludwigs!
    Thanks!! You're always welcomed ludleg!!

User Info Menu

Thanks dangermonkey. Do you port the reso?
    Yes, ludleg ... 5" offset port via Aquarian Port Hole ...

User Info Menu

Thank-you, sir!
    You're welcome.

User Info Menu

Batter- remo powerstroke PRO -has a built in muffle ring...

Reso- remo Ebony powerstroke 3

mine is a 24x16 Epic- i have a small pillow inside and a 4" port cut in the reso, it sounds like a velvet hammer. i also have been trying out wood DW beaters.

it is tuned on the low side, but not loose. i took my time and really dialed it in.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Thanks! Geez, that is great looking kit! That is a classic finish. What year is the kit? It looks to be in immaculate condition.

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit! Is that a road runner rug?

-Mike

User Info Menu

Thanks! Geez, that is great looking kit! That is a classic finish. What year is the kit? It looks to be in immaculate condition.
    Thanks ludleg. It's a 2003 Ludwig Classic Maple kit that's seen about 850 gigs or so. It has some minor battle scars. I do keep it well packed and always set it up and tear it down myself.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 04-02-2015 at 07:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Beautiful kit! Is that a road runner rug?
    Thanks FBN. It's a Kaces Crash Pad drum rug.