Thread: Your "Fantasy" band

User Info Menu

Default Your "Fantasy" band

Alright drum chatters. I want to hear about your "fantasy" band. The band that you would be in if the cosmos lined up just perfectly for you. I'd like to hear from you fellows that are mostly garage or basement drummers, but do carry that secret fantasy of playing in a certain kind of musical group. I'm not looking for stuff like..."I want Geedy Lee on bass" or anything like that. Tell me the music you would want to play, the instrumentation, the musicians you would have, organization etc...

I'll go first.

Players... keyboardist, not just a portable Yamaha synth either. I mean well adversed in piano and organ preferably able to play pedals through a Leslie. This would eliminate the need for a bass player (and all the associated psychopatic issues that come with having one of those LOL) I'd like my key guy to have that psycadelic vibe to his playing ala... Doors, In a Gadda da Vida type of thing.

Guitar. Not necessary to be a Speedy Gonzalez up and down the neck but capable of sharing solos and having tasteful fills. Good sound and knowledge of effects. Able to play other guitars, acoustic, 12 strings etc...able to play strong rhythm.

Vocalist. This guy has a signature voice but not a show off. (No American Idol yodelling and screaming) Just enough growl to add the necessary emphasis. Good pronunciation of words. Also a bit of a jack of all trades. Does a little guitar, hand percussion, of course blues harp, and Bonus!!...Oooo...able to honk a sax on a couple of chorus's

Harmony. When we all join in on a chorus together, we could make Crosby, Stiils, Nash shiver in their boots.

Our music. Kinda folksy, Bluesy, even a pinch of country thrown in, but all bundled up in solid beat rock psycedelia. Our lyrical basis will be the elusive pursuit of Love, Peace, Harmony, and of course exquisite woman! No death, occult, Satanic crap PERIOD!!!

Organization. A democracy with me as the creative director of course. The smartest guy (went to college) gets to do the financial stuff. No spouses involved period. (well maybe to help haul equipment LOL) We have a weekly pow wow where we iron out our stuff over beers. Then we trip out on something good and jam. Long improvisational jams, from which we will derive our ideas for songs. Everyone pats me on the back and compliments me on how I get so much sound from so few drums! As I drive home I'm thinking how lucky I am to be playing in the worlds best band.

Let me hear yours

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 04-02-2015 at 01:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Your "Fantasy" band

Since this is getting no play, I'll start. Easy.

The gang from Victoria's Secret.

User Info Menu

Scarlette Johansson, Halle Berry....

Well, I can't say what my band would be without violating your rules, but I can give you what my dream concert would be: Set 1 Jazz/blue Set 2: Blues rock Set 3: Funk/jazz Set 4: RnB/Hip Hop (i'd rap 1-3 songs) Set 5: dubstep, glitch hop, dnb (me on ekit with a dj)

Yes, I am not a normal person, I am fully aware of that...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Vocals: Sammy Hagar
    Guitar: Steve Stevens
    Bass: Tom Hamilton

User Info Menu

Drums - Greg Bisonette
    Keyboards - Thelonius Monk
    Trumpet - Blue Mitchell
    Bass - Jaco Pastorious
    Guitar - Lindsey Buckingham
    Saxaphone - John Coltrane
    Vocals- Mel Torme

(did I do it right?)
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Scarlette Johansson, Halle Berry....

Well, I can't say what my band would be without violating your rules, but I can give you what my dream concert would be: Set 1 Jazz/blue Set 2: Blues rock Set 3: Funk/jazz Set 4: RnB/Hip Hop (i'd rap 1-3 songs) Set 5: dubstep, glitch hop, dnb (me on ekit with a dj)

Yes, I am not a normal person, I am fully aware of that...
    That would be a great evening for a band to do all that.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks Kay-gee, scarlette and halle will be the gogo dancers!

for my 30th, that was more or less how I set up the music, in part to drive other people in the bar out (and it worked too!) and then the party got progressively more fun.

Of course, in my dream set, we would not suddenly drop the old soviet national anthem as I did then, that would be a bit much to pull out the red army choir!

EddieV, you've got it almost perfect (although I'd take Mingus on bass, but that's splitting hairs), however Tony Bennett on vocals, Grant Green on guitar and Miles, Eldridge, Dizzy, Brown ect on trumpet.

Glad to see we're not all just prog rockers here!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

My fantasy band (not choosing well known musicians) would probably be

me on drums when my jazz chops and my rudiments are really really good XD even though it would be a rock band, no horns.
    The guitar play would know many different scales. The guitar player in my current band already has that so I know I have one thing already. And he have a good ear for melody and the fuzz of Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age.
    The bass player would have some great rolling basslines and he wouldn't play the same thing as the guitar. They would both have lots of effects for their guitars
    And if I had a keyboard player they would need to be able to play rhythm on piano or melody on organ.
    As for singers I don't really have standards for their singing as long as they don't go way off key. The singer should have lots of songs written and songs would come easy to him and be able to do most of the work for getting gigs.

User Info Menu

My fantasy band humm
    The singer must have a strong voice and can sing well and must be able to sing different genres of music like soca,pop (hayley williams) rock, hiphop even slows. If the singer can write songs that would be a plus. The same applies to the other musicians guitarist, bass player, keyboardist, they must all be exposed to different styles in their playing and should have some form of voice training.
    The percussion section of the band well me on the traps, a djembe player and a pannist. there should also be a trumpet player or some brassy instrument

User Info Menu

Kind of making an all girl band here just for fun.

Singer - Taylor Momsen from the Pretty Reckless. Awesome singer! She played Cindy Lou Who in Dr. Suess's How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Lead Guitar - Orianthi. Guitar virtuoso.

Bass Guitar - Tal Wilkenfeld. Another virtuoso.

Drums - That's a tough one. Emmanuelle Caplette or Sheila E.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

^^^^^^ saw Shelia E. in 2007 with Prince at the Rio in Vegas, awesome show.

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Bill Ward on Drums..
    Rory Gallagher on Guitar...
    Jack Bruce on Bass..

Me in the audience...

User Info Menu

I love these threads! It really makes me stop to think of how fortunate and blessed I am to already have as close to my "dream band" as someone (with as little talent as myself) could ever hope to achieve;

My brother on bass- he's a 45yr veteran. He's rock solid, plays simple but tasteful patterns and musically & rhythmically we think alike. Even on our bad nights, he and myself are still tight in the groove. He also sings well and plays fairly good slide guitar.

Randy, a very good friend of both my brother and myself, on lead vocals. He has a wonderful soulful voice for Blues, Country & Bluegrass. He reminds me of Delbert McClinton in terms of vocal style. He also plays basic Mandolin, guitar and blows a wonderful Blues harp. He has a great stage presence and always interacts with the crowd. Randy has been playing music with my brother and I for 20+ years and is a very close friend. We will always be in a band with each other until we die.

Dan on lead guitar and vocals. Dan has been with us for 2 years. Right from the start, he fit in well. Dan is younger (early 30s) and more into Rock, but he loves Blues. He's a very good lead guitar player, but he's not afraid or offended to sit back and play a solid Rythum if needed. He has stepped up lately to become a very good lead singer on Blues and Rock. Dan was also a trained violin player through college, so he also plays a fiddle for some Bluegrass stuff. His youth and energy has really improved our stage show. He loves to talk to the audience and when he gets wound up, he really rocks out on solos, plays guitar behind his back and other fun stuff. It really adds to the energy.

Silas on guitar & vocals. Silas is the youngest (24) and is a family friend of my brothers. He is a classically trained singer and upright Jazz bass player. He's a little shy and prefers to play a solid rythum acoustic guitar. He sings wonderful harmonies on Bluegrass, but he does sing lead on a few songs...mostly ballads. We get more complements on his vocals than anything else. He occasionally has guys shake his hand or girls give him hugs after he walks off stage. He still plays his upright bass during acoustic gigs and even plays basic accordion. Needless to say, we have some Tex-Mex in the works.

Doug on lead and pedal steel guitar. Doug has been a close friend for many years. He's one of the best country guitar pickers around and is quickly becoming a sensational steel player. Doug joins us for gigs when he isn't playing with his own band. When he does, his steel playing takes us to a whole different level. When we play "Dead Flowers" by the Stones and he fills in the background with that haunting steel sound, it literally makes the hair on my arms stand up while I'm playing. Of course, the Texas Swing stuff sounds way better with a steel guitar as well.

Chad on guitar. Chad recently joined us a few months ago. He's been a friend for several years and just loves to play music. He doesn't sing, but he's a sensational Blues guitarist. He knows all the traditional Blues licks, turnarounds, hooks, etc.. He can play smoking fast if he wants, but he does a great job of playing simple and tasteful leads in true Blues fashion. He also knows every guitar part for every Blues and Rock song you can throw at him. Having him now allows Dan to concentrate on singing more songs, but they still trade off on guitar solos, pushing each other to do better. Having Chad also helps incase someone is sick or can't make a gig.

I'm easily the least talented out of everyone, but I'm the only one that can play drums (bad as I am). Playing music with them all is a pleasure. We cover everything from Bill Monroe, Bob Wills and Buddy Guy to Supertramp, Steve Miller and John Prine. It's made me love playing music and drums more....what more could I ask for. I look forward to practice each week and I can't wait to play every gig. The best part is off stage. No one has an ego, everyone is relaxed, enthusiastic and positive. We certainly have our issues. We have "off" nights and make our fair share of mistakes, but we cover them up pretty well. We are far from what I would consider to be a "great" band, but we have improved steadily over the last year (after dumping our old bass player and switching some instruments around). Even if it all falls apart tomorrow, I feel lucky to have been apart of something so elusive to so many.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That's great NZBluz. I'm going to make a point of coming up to see you guys in action. It sounds exactly like my kind of band. Also...there's no way I'm going to believe you're not a good drummer!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks, Kay-Gee. I hate to always sound like I'm bragging about the guys in our band, but I really am happy and thankful for what I'm a part of. There are TONS of better bands around here, but no other group of guys I'd rather be playing music with. I think it's important for those starting out or who may be looking for a band to join to know that pure musical skill is not the only factor. I'd rather be in a "good" band that allows me to enjoy myself than a "great" band that stresses me out.

Anytime you want to visit, just let me know. We can even set you up with a place to stay. Just be prepared to play lots of music, socialize, eat a good steak and drink a few cold ones.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post

Anytime you want to visit, just let me know. We can even set you up with a place to stay. Just be prepared to play lots of music, socialize, eat a good steak and drink a few cold ones.
    Nebraska just moved wayyyyy up on my "to visit" list : ) Your situation sounds somewhat familiar to mine. Good place to be I agree.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Just be prepared to play lots of music, socialize, eat a good steak and drink a few cold ones.
    All of my favorite things

all the best...