Thread: Weird snare buzz/overtone

User Info Menu

Default Weird snare buzz/overtone

This isn't your normal snare buzz. I usually keep my snares super loose because I love all the buzz. This buzz im getting is different.

My heads were decently old and one snare wire had broken, but the snare still sounded good so I hadn't done anything to it. Then one of the lug screws got loose on the inside so I removed the batter head to tighten them again. Once I put the head back on I started getting this weird snare overtone. Not like an overtone from the head, but it literally sounded like the snare wires mixed with a weird over tone.

I changed both heads and the snare wires in hopes that it'd fix it, but the weird sound is still there. Any advice or clue to what this could be?

The snare is a 6.5x14 DW nickle over brass snare with a remo dot on top, hazy on bottom, and pure sound wires. This drum has always sounded incredible so I'm confused why it is not betraying me haha!
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Weird snare buzz/overtone

I think this is a trial and error fix.
    It is hard to guess without looking. Maybe crank the head more then loosen it to seat it?

User Info Menu

any video of this extreme buzz? Also whats your tuning method?

User Info Menu

I have had a Remo snare batter head where the glue in the channel had separated from the collar in one spot making the snare impossible to tune. Quite honestly defective glue is unlikely - but as the mystery overtone has just appeared and all you have done is tighten a loose lug and replace the heads I think the problem is more likely to be the heads.

If you haven't thrown the old heads, perhaps try refitting them one at a time to see if the mystery overtone goes away. If you have thrown them maybe try the heads from a different snare.

This may sound stupid but try playing the snare in a different room - I once had a mystery rattle - it was coming from a metal ornament vibrating at the other side of the room!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    This may sound stupid but try playing the snare in a different room - I once had a mystery rattle - it was coming from a metal ornament vibrating at the other side of the room!
    +1 regarding a possible external source for the rattle. I was recording once and thought the snare had a rattle. Turned out to be the ceiling light fixture right above the drums.

User Info Menu

If even one wire is missing from the snare set it will do that because the balance of the tension is thrown off. The set is actually twisting. Also, if they are string fastened, make sure the length is the same on both sides. This will also cause the snare set to not lay straight.
    I'm pretty sure though that if you change the snares the problem will be gone.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by isaacvining View Post
    I changed both heads and the snare wires in hopes that it'd fix it, but the weird sound is still there. Any advice or clue to what this could be?
    I think something else is loose.
    I'd check every nut and screw..........lugs, strainer, all of it.
    Basically take it apart and rebuild it until I found the source.
    Maybe the new snare wires are placed upside down.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    any video of this extreme buzz? Also whats your tuning method?
    Unfortunately not. I don't necessarily have a specific tuning method. Basically I've always just turned stuff until it stopped sounding bad

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    If even one wire is missing from the snare set it will do that because the balance of the tension is thrown off. The set is actually twisting. Also, if they are string fastened, make sure the length is the same on both sides. This will also cause the snare set to not lay straight.
    I'm pretty sure though that if you change the snares the problem will be gone.

all the best...
    I was hoping that was the case as well, but after putting on the new wires it still persisted. I have the plastic-ribbon-thing that came with the original snares so it's super straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I think something else is loose.
    I'd check every nut and screw..........lugs, strainer, all of it.
    Basically take it apart and rebuild it until I found the source.
    Maybe the new snare wires are placed upside down.
    I think I might just have to do this. It'll give me something to do this evening I guess.

I just spent about an hour messing with everything. I discovered that the second screw that holds in the bottom half of the throw-off is loose so it twists freely a bit, but I wouldn't think this could be the issue as once it's all set and straight then there's basically no difference whether or not that other screw is in there. During my tinkering, the part that you screw to tighten or loosen the snare became very difficult to turn by hand, so I had to use my drum key. Super weird. Man, this snare was always the easiest and best sounding snare and now it's being all sorts of weird!

I messed with both heads being both very right and very loose. With the bottom head cranked, the snares would ring for an absolutely hilariously long amount of time. Like at least 4-5 seconds. The weird overtone would go away however.

After spending so much time with it in a drum booth I'm wondering if I am just over-thinking it now. I was able to get it to tolerable sound for my show tomorrow. And who knows, perhaps playing in the different room will take care of any issues. I do have a different head on it than I'm used to (I've used a genera dry on literally every other snare I've ever had) so perhaps it's just the learning curve with this Remo Dot!
    Last edited by isaacvining; 04-08-2015 at 02:04 PM.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Go back and clip one of the snare wires so you have two clipped. Typically, snare wires are reduced or cut down in pairs....just a long shot but it might help eliminate the weird buzzing you're getting??

User Info Menu

The Genera Dry heads have a 2mm 'overtone control ring' and 2 plies over the entire head- I'm not sure about the Remo head if it is a single ply with centre dot it may be more open sounding than the Genera Dry. Perhaps the overtone has always been there but the General head masked the sound?

I would remove the stainer and lub it as the knurled adjuster is difficult to move - when you refit and tighten it will remove the loose bottom mount from the equation.

User Info Menu

Issacvining, do you still get the weird sound with the old batter head and the snare wires off? If so it's not the wires causing the problem...
    If the old heads had no more life in them maybe they blocked the sound which was always there until the heads went south?(less vibration). Maybe you need to return to the same type of batter, etc., not the Remo.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I tune my bottom head extremely tight. Try tightening the lugs on each side of the snare bed. about a half turn. I find it gets rid of any unwanted sounds and snare buzz.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I think this is a trial and error fix.
    It is hard to guess without looking. Maybe crank the head more then loosen it to seat it?
    I agree with Olimpass, also make sure the snare wire ends are centered on the bottom head when you throw the snares on.

User Info Menu

just a possibility because I did it once. Did you put the wires back on upside down by accident? that will surely give off some ugly sounding buz...
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

issacv, let us know what you've found out about the weird snare buzz.
    I have a strange ringing-twang in my Brass Pearl FF (6.5" deep version) with snares off, with Pearl Super Hoops-top and bottom. Worse with a batter change from old EC1 with central "dot" to new version of the same.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

- Check lug/strainer screws to be sure they're all tight
    - Check reso head to make sure it's evenly seated
    - Be sure that reso head is not too thick
    - Check direction of wires(they might be upside down)
    - Shake the snare drum and listen for any small particles like dirt that may have found their way inside
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Maybe something is wrong with the lug that came loose?,cracked?broken washer?

User Info Menu

I have this exact same snare and batter head and im noticing something similar.....ill be switching out the stock snares for Puresound wires this weekend...I also have lug locks on the reso head side.....ill try some different things this weekend and see if it helps

User Info Menu

i would suggest cut out the middle two wires from your stock wires to eliminate snare buzz and "dead note" ...i do it with all my wires now

User Info Menu

I have not taken time to read all the responses. Many harmonic problems are caused by the room. Can still be tuned out at the drum, but countless times I have had weird issues which will come and go with the location.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168