Thread: Need some Help folks.

User Info Menu

Default Need some Help folks.

Drumchat nevers fails to help me when I'm in need of help.

Next Marching season I'm going to be Drum Captian. (Leader of the front percussion ensemble and drumline.)
    We are bound and determined to be a feared percussion section in Kentucky.

So any help that anyone could give me about being a leader, being a drummer (snare drummer in particular) or anything please don't hesitate to do so.

THANKS GUYS YOU ROCK!!
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Candlelight Chaos View Post

Next Marching season I'm going to be Drum Captian. (Leader of the front percussion ensemble and drumline.)

So any help that anyone could give me about being a leader, being a drummer (snare drummer in particular) or anything please don't hesitate to do so.

THANKS GUYS YOU ROCK!!
    The key to being an effective leader is to inspire through example.......

User Info Menu

Cool Need some help folks!

THANKS GUYS YOU ROCK!!
    Hey, CC! Big fives to ya on bein' named captain!

d_c nailed it on inspiring through example. Not only do you have to discipline yourself to be the best drummer you can possibly be, you have to help pass that discipline onto the rest of your line.

I don't know if you've "studied the competition"--that is, observed other drumlines, and the great ones in particular--but you might want to watch them in action (vids or in person if you can). Don't copy what they do, necessarily, but watch for the things that set them apart from the also-rans.

Have you talked with your band director? Ask him what his goals are for your ensemble. If he and you share the same goals, it will make communicating them to your other drummers a lot easier. And keep asking questions.

Finally, and needless to say, practice, practice, practice!

CC, YOU ROCK! Again, congratulations--and
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips guys! And please don't stop there. If you have any personal experiences at being a leader of a group, such as a drumline and front ensemble, please share with me your stories and (if any are applicable) mistakes.

Please also note that next band season is VERY far away, but I think I got plenty of work to do in the meantime. (But Winter Drumline/Percussion is still a possibility).

Keep 'em comin' folks!
    Last edited by Candlelight Chaos; 10-22-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention...
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash

User Info Menu

CC, welcome back! You've been missed.

A few years back I was made a patrol leader in my Boy Scout troop. That meant I was a leader of about 6 other boys. We went on a weekend camping trip, and when we got to the sight, we were told to have our patrols set up our tents, and get our stuff stowed away in the tents. I went back to my patrol, and it had never occurred to me that some of them might have been jealous of my being made patrol leader. I told them to get their tents set up, and they refused to move. It was my first big test, and I failed! I went to one of the adults and complained about my patrol not doing what I ask them to do, and he gave me a piece of advice that, once I fully understood it, I still live by today. He said, "Never ask a subordinate to do something that you are unwilling to do yourself." Instead of overseeing the others putting up their tents, I should have put up my tent too, or even put up my tent first, then ask them to put up their tents.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    CC, welcome back! You've been missed.

A few years back I was made a patrol leader in my Boy Scout troop. That meant I was a leader of about 6 other boys. We went on a weekend camping trip, and when we got to the sight, we were told to have our patrols set up our tents, and get our stuff stowed away in the tents. I went back to my patrol, and it had never occurred to me that some of them might have been jealous of my being made patrol leader. I told them to get their tents set up, and they refused to move. It was my first big test, and I failed! I went to one of the adults and complained about my patrol not doing what I ask them to do, and he gave me a piece of advice that, once I fully understood it, I still live by today. He said, "Never ask a subordinate to do something that you are unwilling to do yourself." Instead of overseeing the others putting up their tents, I should have put up my tent too, or even put up my tent first, then ask them to put up their tents.

Great piece of advice PB, really great. I learned something from this.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

LOL so did I!
    Good advice PB, I'll remember that one.
    Keep 'em comin' everyone!
    - Henry David Thoreau

User Info Menu

LOL so did I!
    Good advice PB, I'll remember that one.
    Keep 'em comin' everyone!
    my method go hard and show some mercy every now and then keep em goin non-stop thats how my section got so good try it