Thread: Using snare drum only for gigs/worship sessions

User Info Menu

Question Using snare drum only for gigs/worship sessions

Hi there,

I went to listen to a bluegrass/blues band a while ago and they were magnificent. Yet they did not have a full drum set. The guys traveled all the way from Wellington to Auckland and probably didn't have space for a complete drum set. So the drummer was playing only a snare drum and tapping on some, what looked like, a wooden block connected to a pickup.

I play bass in a worship team and we only have 15 minutes to set up, yet we would love to have a drummer join us, but there's just no time to set up a full kit.

I also play the saxophone and am looking at starting a duo with a friend who is a guitarist to do instrumentals in cafe's and pubs. Lazy Sunday afternoon sort of stuff. Yet I would love to have sort of percussion or drum in the mix.

Any suggestions as to what could work? I was thinking perhaps a snare only or a snare with high hat. Where can I find useful video's or tips on playing such a small setup. Couldn't find any on YouTube (or was searching for the wrong thing).

Amanda

User Info Menu

Default Re: Using snare drum only for gigs/worship sessions

Snare and hihat, maybe a bass drum, or suitcase kit. I like all of them for low volume, low key gigs.I do a lot of gigs with the two pc "Bikini" kit. But, my fav's probably the suitcase kit. Packs inside the suitcase. I've shown up to gigs on my Ducati with it!!

User Info Menu

Or, learn another instrument! I do some gigging on ukulele. And yes, that's a National Resophonic....
    Last edited by bdonley; 04-13-2015 at 08:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Love your suitcase idea. How long does each kit take to set up? I have very limited setup time. Really, 15 minutes after access to the hall, we're already playing. Normally we try a tune or two in that time just to warm up. So really, we have less than 10 minutes.
    Last edited by debeerac; 04-13-2015 at 09:15 PM.

User Info Menu

The suitcase thing'd work great for you. Bikini kit's about the same. I've always stood by if you can't drive them with kick,snare and hats, more stuff's not gonna help. If you decide to do a suitcase, pm me. I'll give you details. Hardest parts finding lightweight hardware to fit inside. Go vintage!
    We were busking outside an art gallery. Jon Anderson (Yes) came by. we got him singing with us. Did Wooly Bully and Gloria. He rocked them. People had no idea who they were seeing! Afterwards, told me he'd never played with someone using a suitcase before. Bill Bruford, but no suitcase.......

User Info Menu

Time to setup is my main concern. How long does it take you to set up?
    And how long would you think would only a snare and hi-hat take?

User Info Menu

Snare and hat. 5 min. Suitcase, 10 min. You need to think elemental.What's really needed? I've done gigs playing brushes on a box......

User Info Menu

Thanks. Think must start with snare and high hat only. Any videos or other resources that's good for just that? Videos I found are all for full kits.

User Info Menu

I have no videos posted. There may be some, but it's pretty well not rocket science. Set up, and take control. "Peggy Sue" was played on a phone book!Just have fun.... This is me with a Grammy winner, Louie Ortega of "The Texas Tornados". We were after, them he invited me to jam. We had a great time! Tex-Mex to "Cisco Kid". At Charlie Chaplin's former beach front mansion....
    Last edited by bdonley; 04-13-2015 at 09:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks, but I'm thinking of getting someone new to drums to do this. He's a guitarist, but is keen to give it a try. I don't want to buy a whole kit though - no space for that. I'm sure for someone who know how to play a full kit it will be easy to figure this out, but yeah. Anything he can start with that you know about?

User Info Menu

Numerous ways you can go.

A plastic rubbish bin on it's side and played with a pedal can actually sound just like a bass drum with a pillow inside but less loud.

A snare for sure and a hi hat will give a full rhythmic sound.

Other easy options...a mounted tambourine or cowbell and jam block.

Very fast set up and takes up no space.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by debeerac View Post
    Time to setup is my main concern. How long does it take you to set up?
    And how long would you think would only a snare and hi-hat take?
    5 minutes. I can set up a four piece kit with 3 cymbals and a hi- hat and be ready to play in 15 minutes easy. I'm sure any experienced drumner can. My monster 12 piece kit with 13 cymbals, hi hat, and gong only takes a half hour.

User Info Menu

I think a Cajon would be the most simple. You can mic it if volume is an issue.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
    I have no videos posted. There may be some, but it's pretty well not rocket science. Set up, and take control. "Peggy Sue" was played on a phone book!Just have fun.... This is me with a Grammy winner, Louie Ortega of "The Texas Tornados". We were after, them he invited me to jam. We had a great time! Tex-Mex to "Cisco Kid". At Charlie Chaplin's former beach front mansion....
    Love that Tex-Mex stuff. A guy in our band just scored a nice old accordion (for free) from a member of his church. Ive been listening to some Mavericks and Texas Tornadoes, looking for some new material to cover.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

There's an easy answer to this question: a coctail set.

Inexpensive, easy to move and set up, and lots of variations available. Once assembled, a coctail kit could be moved into place by one person and immediately played. Seems the only way to go, to me.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    There's an easy answer to this question: a coctail set.

Inexpensive, easy to move and set up, and lots of variations available. Once assembled, a coctail kit could be moved into place by one person and immediately played. Seems the only way to go, to me.

GeeDeeEmm

+1...........A C0cktail kit was the first thing that came to my mind...................I know Tama came out with a new model last year............can't remember what they called it..................but I believe it is in their "Silverstar" line .............. and under $500 new

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestions. That ****tail kit looks great. Just wondering... Is that a high hat? If it is, how is it kicked? And are those both toms? Or is one a snare?

User Info Menu

One tom. One snare (See the throw-off?). One tom/kick combo. The hats are set and stay where you put em. Tight or a little open is just a one second adjustment.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!