Thread: playing in two bands

User Info Menu

Thumbs up playing in two bands

I know some of you have done it or are doing it right now, well I think it's pretty safe to say I am doing it now too. I'd like to do the unveiling of the bands name and all that but want to get a more solid footing in the band before I do. As it is right now I think I'm expected to play the 25th of this month with them at an outdoor show. I'd like to get some video if possible.

I wasn't really sure if i wanted to do 2 but it's kind of fun so far. I practiced with Muckraker last night and had a great practice and suppose to practice with the other band tonight. It's a lot different than the hard, loud, bang it out Muckraker stuff. This band is southern rock to the bone!. I'm really enjoying working the dynamics of the songs which I think are pretty good and the other players are good too.

The only thing I move between the 2 bands is my 16" floor tom. Hope to have more show and tell soon.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: playing in two bands

How did you meet the new band members?

User Info Menu

hey 8beat, well Muckraker has been idle for awhile and for awhile didn't know what the future held so I answered a Craigslist ad for this band. Went out and jammed a little and was asked to come back. I can probably play the Muckraker stuff blindfolded so were not practicing as much as before but will step it up when shows come along.

The new band is a lot different, but it opens up a lot of new avenues to my drumming. The guitarist plays a lot of slide which is cool to play to. Just trying to get a feel for the songs and players. One major attraction is that the band room is 15 min from home vs the 40+ min it takes to get out to Muckraker. Having 2 different set ups is good too. Right now I have 24, 12, 16. 6 1/2, 2 crashes 17'', 20'' and a 20'' ride with a single pedal for the new band.
    Last edited by slinky; 04-14-2015 at 02:05 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Sounds like you got your hands full bud. It'll definitely keep you busy, that's for sure.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Kudos on trying a different style. I think you'll enjoy the increased dynamics and neusances. Maybe even opportunity for more musical style of fills (?).
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Dealing with 1 group of musicians at a time is enough for me.

2 singers, 2 guitar players. I have never had the urge to see what maximum security is like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Dealing with 1 group of musicians at a time is enough for me.

2 singers, 2 guitar players. I have never had the urge to see what maximum security is like.
    Kinda like having a wife & long-term mistress. I could never figure out how guys pull that off.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Kinda like having a wife & long-term mistress. I could never figure out how guys pull that off.

Very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very, very, very, very, very,very very, very, very,very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very, very.

CAREFULLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They usually sleep on their stomach and develop nervous ticks whenever the phone rings. They also have nightmares about "Fatal Attraction".

User Info Menu

I could never do two bands. Just too busy with life in general. But with that said I can't seem to find one solid band to play with....lol
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Since I decided to get back to being more serious about drumming, I've been in two bands at the same time more often than I've been in just one band. With the same two bands for a while now, one for two years and one for six months. One band gigs regularly, the other occasionally. Doesn't matter, the music is good and I'm having a lot of fun.

User Info Menu

Most I've taken on is three bands at one time. That was tough. Two is manageable, depending on the demands of each band, work and personal schedule.

User Info Menu

I used to do a lot of freelancing. There was a time when I was playing in about 5 bands at once regularly. Crazy with scheduling but I just made it first come first serve. I had much of it charted out. The hardest part was when two bands would play the same song differently. I'd have trouble remembering who's version is who's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I know some of you have done it or are doing it right now, well I think it's pretty safe to say I am doing it now too.
    I wasn't really sure if i wanted to do 2 but it's kind of fun so far.
    I also just joined a second band (in January).

Band #1 = power trio -- traditional 70s southern classic rock -- 70% original music.
    Best for festivals, fairs and other outdoor shows, openers for national touring acts.

Band #2 = 5 pc., female lead vox -- 80s and 90s pop covers...........100% danceable, popular covers.
    Best for dance and bar band.

Enjoying both right now..........and I'm hoping they don't get really busy at the same time.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

About once per month I check out the ads for people looking for a drummer...most people want either metal or "in the style of Neil Peart" (dudes, if a drummer guy can play like him, They don't need to be checking out want ads for drummers), but I usually find one ad that might fit me.

It's tempting, I think if I was better I'd do it, also, I'd rather just have practices at my place as I do with my band, and I'm not too keen on inviting a group of strangers there.

Must be a great way to develop, playing with different people. Maybe I'll post an ad "Intermediate drummer for hire as practice substitute" and if they can supply a place and drums, I'll do it. What do you guys think?
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    About once per month I check out the ads for people looking for a drummer...most people want either metal or "in the style of Neil Peart" (dudes, if a drummer guy can play like him, They don't need to be checking out want ads for drummers), but I usually find one ad that might fit me.

It's tempting, I think if I was better I'd do it, also, I'd rather just have practices at my place as I do with my band, and I'm not too keen on inviting a group of strangers there.

Must be a great way to develop, playing with different people. Maybe I'll post an ad "Intermediate drummer for hire as practice substitute" and if they can supply a place and drums, I'll do it. What do you guys think?
    I say go for it. Expand your drumming vocabulary.

all the best...